Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:35:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookReddenhurst [TECHDEMO]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reddenhurst [TECHDEMO]  (Read 12819 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »

Shame. I really wanted to enter something for this compo and had grand plans, but less free time than I anticipated. Sad Still, I did put enough work into this one that it would be a shame to have nothing to show for it at all, so I just pulled an all-nighter to have at least a very very short tech demo. Obviously, I do not want this entered into the competition. It's unoptimized and sometimes crashes randomly; be warned. Windows only.

Download here: http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=43006
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »

Wow, beautiful. Love the lightning effects! And light source effects. Those fireflies... And it's just generally great. Though I wish you had spaced the text vertically more, as right now it's so scrunched together it's really hard to read; I'd make each line have a blank one below it. As a general rule, horizontal space should never be wider than vertical space is tall, for readability.

But anyway, I wish you had made a game with this. I still hope you will, of course. Will you?

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »

But anyway, I wish you had made a game with this. I still hope you will, of course. Will you?

Woo, thanks. Given enough interest, I might continue this since I enjoyed working on it quite a bit so far. In fact I have a certain portion of the story already typed out, I just need to make it into a game.

I know about the text, but since the narrative doesn't go anywhere in this demo anyway, I didn't take the time to fix it yet.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »

Hey, just tried the techdemo, and i really liked the lighting effects.  Great job setting the mood with ascii graphics Smiley

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »

Consider this a show of interest from me; I loved the lighting and general atmosphere. Probably the prettiest RL I've seen!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »

I must definitively check this out... planz to continue? website?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »

More people should make good looking RL's like this one. It looks awesome.

Consider this a show or GREAT interest. Gentleman

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »

Yeah, I really love how this feels, and where it's heading.
Interest!
increpare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »

Nice-looking.  Was waiting for you to showcase the roguething you posted a shot of a while ago. 

One problem I had is that is that the font seems to render weird/blurrily every third line :/  I'd echo agj's comment about spacing out the text.

(also, the first time I played it it crashed after I tried to leave the first area).

(was the use of 'condolations' instead of 'condolences' intentional?)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

The font always rendered crisp and legible for me increpare. Maybe it's some kind of compatibility problem for you.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »

I must definitively check this out... planz to continue? website?
With all this positive feedback, I feel quite enticed to go further with this. Smiley The only website-ish thing is my blog where I have a post up about it: http://eriatic.wikidot.com/blog:reddenhurst-techdemo. If and when I develop it further, that's where I'll be posting about it.

One problem I had is that is that the font seems to render weird/blurrily every third line :/
Hm, that's not nice. Can I see a screenshot? I use OpenGL, and I know that it's not required to render pixel-perfectly on every card. But I think that someone around here posted the exact specs required to render non-stretched quads on OpenGL quasi-portably, maybe I can dig that out.

(also, the first time I played it it crashed after I tried to leave the first area).
Yes, I've seen that before. I don't know, it only started doing that during my final all-night hackathon, so I probably messed something up during that time. It needs debugging anyway...

(was the use of 'condolations' instead of 'condolences' intentional?)
Uh, no. Embarrassed Not a native speaker, as you know, and was dictionary-/Internet-less while I typed that out. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm pretty apprehensive about my writing anyway and don't know whether it could carry such a narrative-heavy game... I'm totally rusty in that department, that plus the language barrier.
increpare
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:32:10 AM »

One other thing, your name really sets a sort of gothic, lovecraftian tone and generally fits the game/compo perfectly.

I'm pretty apprehensive about my writing anyway and don't know whether it could carry such a narrative-heavy game... I'm totally rusty in that department, that plus the language barrier.
'twas generally very strong.

Hm, that's not nice. Can I see a screenshot? I use OpenGL, and I know that it's not required to render pixel-perfectly on every card. But I think that someone around here posted the exact specs required to render non-stretched quads on OpenGL quasi-portably, maybe I can dig that out.
Hmm.  I just tried it again.  The blurring still happens, except that when I took a screenshot, in the screenshot everything looked fine...might be just a resolution problem on my macbook...
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

One other thing, your name really sets a sort of gothic, lovecraftian tone and generally fits the game/compo perfectly.

Ha, thanks, you wouldn't believe the amount of time I spent going through various potential names for this Grin (The other top contender, IIRC, was "Rusbridge", which I'm still wondering if it wouldn't have been even better, but I'm happy enough as it is.)

Hmm.  I just tried it again.  The blurring still happens, except that when I took a screenshot, in the screenshot everything looked fine...might be just a resolution problem on my macbook...

That's good to know I guess, though it's still strange. So this doesn't happen with other OpenGL applications? Maybe it's just very noticeable here because of the regular grid? Huh.
increpare
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

Ha, thanks, you wouldn't believe the amount of time I spent going through various potential names for this Grin (The other top contender, IIRC, was "Rusbridge", which I'm still wondering if it wouldn't have been even better, but I'm happy enough as it is.)
(I was talking about your IRL name Wink (the title's good though) )

That's good to know I guess, though it's still strange. So this doesn't happen with other OpenGL applications?
I haven't noticed it, but I haven't used many as text-heavy as yours.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

Haha, you mean my real-life name sets up a "Gothic, Lovecraftian tone"? That's seriously the first time I've heard that :D Maybe I should have used my second given name too, for added Byzantineness :D
Kua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »

I'm just repeating what's been said elsewhere here. But the atmosphere you create with such simple graphics is really impressive. I really felt I was part of the story. Having said that, there was something unattractive about the presentation of the text. This isn't a glitch, I'm sure of that, but, I dunno, may be play around with different fonts. The first paragraph was pretty large... I just think that would put people off. I had a real sense of place. The SFX should be complimented also.

I'm playing game critic here when I'm absolutely unqualified to do so! May be you'll find something of use there.

I will say this is fresh, different and works!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic