Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:59:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInto the Underdusk - Exploration Platformer. Need testers.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Into the Underdusk - Exploration Platformer. Need testers.  (Read 5196 times)
Playinithard
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 05:49:29 AM »

I made a little reveiw/impressions video of the game and I really like it.

What I forgot to mention is that the volume is really loud. Especially on the title screen.
almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:06:07 AM »

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2014/01/weekend_download_258.php

You got featured on JayIsGames over the weekend.

Yeah, I saw that. A few hundred plays over it too which is nice.

I made a little reveiw/impressions video of the game and I really like it.

What I forgot to mention is that the volume is really loud. Especially on the title screen.

Awesome. Thanks for the let's play. I really like your channel intro too.
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »

Man, I really wanted to like this game. I really did. I just couldn't deal with the annoying sound effects (jumping and dying)

It was fairly difficult for me, which isn't a problem - the problem is that every time I die I'm treated with a horrible sound effect. At first I thought it was really cool, an interesting way to punish me for sucking. But then I kept dying. And dying. And dying. And I couldn't take it anymore.

I don't want to turn off the sound either because with the exception of those two sound effects I enjoy the way the game sounds. I'm not saying you should change it either, I just want to let you know that I tried to love your game and failed. I probably would have kept going if it wasn't for that.
almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »

Thanks for playing. Sorry you found it frustrating. I just toned down the volume of the death sounds so they are less jarring.

Out of curiosity what parts killed you the most?
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

at first the platforms that alternate being usable killed me a lot, but the point i called it quits was in the lava area
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »

I'm a sucker for exploration games like this, so I had to try it :D

So first off, the game looks, sounds, and feels great, and I'm definitely getting a L'abbaye Des Morts vibe from this with basically everything. And that's a good thing, I love that game to death! However there are things that make this game a bit more on the frustrating side, most notably how insanely slow you move. Combined with relatively infrequent checkpoints, it makes the game hard for me to play. I know that in exploration games you want the player to take in the environment, but it's really REALLY slow. Also at some points it's hard for me to judge whether I'm actually able to do things without a powerup. For example, it's obvious that I need a jump upgrade to reach the orb just out of my reach (unless I'm missing something). But then there are the parts where I find something that looks possible, but might not without a powerup. Example, that plant monster that shoots his head at me, I tried falling down faster than him, and I tried jumping over him but I just can't do it. And I don't know if I can do it, I would try more, but the walk is just too dang long. And I know a lot of people are complaining about the random patterns of some enemies, which I totally agree with, but I don't feel like I need to go too in depth with it.

Sorry for ranting so much, this isn't a bad game. If the player moved a little faster and/or there were more frequent checkpoints, and there weren't as many randomness based enemies, this game could be amazing! I mean, it looks and sounds great, I love the intro narrative and the death screen is super unique.
almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

Well, it took about a week or so of bug squishing and polish, but Into the Underdusk is finally complete. At least, it's about as complete and stable as it's likely to get.

There have been some minor game play adjustments. Saves have been tweaked and stabilized, and warp wells and save statues have been added to take the edge off of the really hard spots.

Also, a splash screen has been added for Clickteam's Fusion 2.5, which is the engine this game was made in.

It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on to other projects now. Thank you to everyone who played the game, and thanks for all the feedback both positive and negative.

I hope everyone enjoys the final product, and have a safe and excellent new year.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 05:51:17 AM »

I was very intrigued when it started, the story grabbed me immediately. The world was also great, it felt desolated, and the seconds spent near that big tree when you die is just awesome, it brings so many questions. But I rage quit without completing the demo, unfortunately, during my second encounter with that reaper-like creature. It wasn't particularly harder than the rest, I was just tired of all the trial and error that had preceded that moment and it was about to get worst.

And the jumping sound is annoying Tongue

almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »

Yeah, nobody likes the jump sound. I tried randomizing it's frequency and softening the volume, but people still complain. I'll add an option to remove it all-together I guess.

I still have a lot to learn about making games enjoyable in terms of game play. People seem to enjoy the atmosphere, but my games put off all but the most masochistic. I think it stems from the fact that I really enjoy harsh and difficult games with low margin for error. Finding that sweet spot between challenge and rage is difficult. Hopefully my next game isn't so frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback!
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »

Fatigue is probably the problem here. I like hard games but I need a break occasionally. Some games will present a score counting screen, others will add a second gameplay element. Other gameplay elements are useful because it gives you a break from whatever is making you tired, things like management of resources, puzzles etc.

It's like an action movie, if it really were 100% action it would be boring and anti climatic. You need to deliver the action at the right time. The analogy with film is very limited, granted, but the result is the same: give him something else to do occasionally to prevent fatigue. Maybe rooms without precision platforming, but with other kinds of challenges.

almightyzentaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »

Solid advice. My next game is less simple so hopefully it has enough to break up the gameplay a bit. I did make Into the Underdusk in only a week, so it was a fairly short development cycle, which is partly why it was so simple. But that doesn't mean I can't have screens that are just nice and peaceful instead of screens that make you want to rip your eyes out.

By the way, I got front paged on Gamejolt! Woohoo! That was a dream of mine. I can now die a happy man.

Thanks guys for the feedback!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic