Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:20:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOffice Management 101 (A business sim game)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Office Management 101 (A business sim game)  (Read 35010 times)
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »

Thanks buddy!

Yeah, I've been pushing making any update posts, since there's not much actual progress towards the alpha version to display. I did mention last time that I'll get around to gameplay features again, but the whole saving/loading stuff took a loot longer than I had expected, since I had to refactor some code to get all objects to save properly (using Kryo library for that). There's still a few object classes left, but those should be significantly easier to save and load. I also need to think of a system to make it possible to have backwards compatible saving, ie. to load games saved in an older version.

To take some breathers from all the heavy coding, I also tried to work on the title screen and menus for it, but the first ones ended up being too dark themed to actually suit the game, so I'm already in the middle of completely redoing them.

Some of the versions I tried, but discarded:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjXKyp3CcAAe9um.png:large
http://i.imgur.com/jErKiKO.png

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 06:07:06 AM »

To my surprise Office Management 101 was featured in Rock, Paper, Shotgun DevLog Watch alongside Curious Expedition and Lift.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/01/devlog-watch-curious-expedition-lift-office-management/

It does point out that I've not been very actively detailing the development process, partly because I wasn't sure anyone would even care about such things, so I guess I need to step up in that department. I'll write an in depth piece about saving and loading on indiedb tomorrow and I'll have more shorter posts here shortly as well.

Feel free to let me know what areas of development you'd be most interested in reading about and I'll be sure to answer any questions.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:00:45 AM by Cino » Logged

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »

maybe a parking lot, etc. I feel like those would add a lot to the atmosphere even if they don't affect the gameplay.

Take away someones parking spot if they've done a shitty job?

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

I was thinking keeping the events that happen outside the building more like a background "noise" that players can maybe take a look at once in a while. Implementing all that won't be a priority for a while though for sure. First gotta get the core gameplay done and only then add the rest of the details.

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 03:41:10 AM »

Some people asked for a mailing list, so I created one. If you're interested in getting regular updates to your e-mail too, you can register to it at our web page: http://tulevik.eu/contact

rsdworker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 03:53:45 AM »

nice - i joined on newletter so idk if its success or not because there is no message saying its on list
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 04:04:41 AM »

Something must have gone wrong, since I don't see your email on the list of subscribers Sad

Maybe you can try again and if it still doesn't work I could add you manually too.

rsdworker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 04:20:56 AM »

success - message said You have successfully subscribed!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 04:26:56 AM »

Yes indeed, see you on the list now. Thanks! Smiley

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »

So I'm a bit late with the article about the savegame system, but better late than never, right?

Check it out on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/office-management-101/features/implementing-a-savegame-system

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »

I've been talking about making a new title screen for weeks now. I've made some progress, but still not finished:

Was also thinking of making a clipboard, that slides up from the bottom of the screen, to put the menu on.

tom-martin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »

Title screen looks great so far. Good job. Perhaps some subtle animation will bring it to life a bit more; a bird outside the window, a flickering light or a rotating desk fan with a slight breeze ruffling the papers?

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 01:21:54 PM »

Thanks. I was actually thinking along the same lines and I might add an employee or two to the scene.

rsdworker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »

looks nice - maybe elevator on right to show people entering and exiting
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:27 AM »

The elevator is a neat idea, but considering how much time I've already put into the different versions of the title screen, that would be overdoing it Smiley

Should put some time into actual development for a change too.

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

Wrote another article on IndieDB, this time about the problems that come with making an isometric engine:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/office-management-101/features/woes-of-isometry

Buckwheaten
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »

Awesome title screen  Smiley
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

Here's an updated version of the title screen with the menu on the clipboard added:

* Click on the image for a bigger version

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

Nice! Really liking it so far.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »

Today I launched a new landing page for the game at officemanagement101.com and last week I also created a facebook page for our dev team at www.facebook.com/tulevikEU.

The image contains nothing new, but just some of the previous updates together on one picture.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:13:13 AM by Cino » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic