Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:35:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingInexistence: platforms, actions and mystery....
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Inexistence: platforms, actions and mystery....  (Read 9527 times)
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:24 AM »

Oops, wrong section! That's imbarassing. Could you move it please? Sorry about that.

Developer: Jonathan BRASSAUD
Genre: Platformer/Action/RPG
Support: PC/Android
Languages: French/English
Web Site: http://pixold.craym.eu/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Inexistenceindygame

Introduction

Inexistence is an indie game created by a passionate team of amateurs.

Jonathan BRASSAUD : Game Design, Scenario, Graphiscs, Level Design, Animations, Programming
Etienne Zizka : Animations, translation other artistic contributions
Fawzi Allouache : Musics
Nicolas Etten : Artworks
(Special thanks to Romain Desmareceaux for his technical support.)

The game is meant to reminiscence older, retro games. The objective in creating this game is to recreate the feeling of the older games such as Castlevania, Metroid, Mario, Megaman, etc…

Gameplay

Play as Hald in this 2D plaformer with RPG elements and discover a strange world, filled with danger and mystery. Concealed in every level are various treasures waiting to be discovered by those willing to explore…

Other systems

* Manage your own stats as you gain levels.
* Purchase various useful items at shops.
* Visit the blacksmith to manage your equipment (full game)
* Participate in time attacks and share your scores online (full game)
* Various difficulty levels (full game)

Pictures

Videos

Official Trailer

Interview of the developer about the game (French) :

Some players experiencing the game firsthand :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgytH11E-ek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-PPYMVRSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOb5CC5bVc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-PPYMVRSc

Download Link !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mtb8upuzsm37u3/Inexistence%20Setup.exe

A Special Thank you to…

…to  all the beta testers, your awesome work has been mentioned in the credits.
… to Kyalie for her Artwork of Hald.
… toRomain68 for the pixel art present in the in-game menu.
… to Shin for his artwork used in the header of the website.

Final Word

Some feedback would, really, really be appreciated. Thank you!

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

Could a moderator move this thread to playtesting please?

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »

Adding fake walls you can walk through, what relationship do you have to that concept?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
samazure
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »

I liked it, it had a few bugs here and ther but nothing that would be an actual problem. Awesome though, I'm now waiting for the full version. Smiley
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »

Well, might as well comment here then  Cheesy (Derek Yu did the smileys uh?)

@J-Snake: Well, there are already fake walls you can walk through in the game. I'm just one of the artist working on the game (and the only one who can speak English) so my relationship to that concept is not that important. I don't mind it I guess.

@Samazure: Some bugs! Still?! Man, we beta tested this bad boy sooo much. Can you recall anything about the bugs?

Thanks for playing  Hand Clap

samazure
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »

Yeah, might as well comment here.

Although I noticed quite a few things I realized some of them were really suggestions or things made that way on purpose but that doesn't look right for me, but anyway, the ones that are indeed bugs that I found are:

Blurry Text: On the program that runs the game before and where you configurate the keys the text seems to be blurry and I couldn't read a few options for the keys... though I still got to guess them since I'm familiar with this kind of games but also I understood even more after playing it once.

Resolution Change: After I change the game to fullscreen from the options menu it doesn't allow me to change it back to 1X or 2X and if I let it stay in any of those two options the change doesn't apply until I restart the game. And also it seems that if I die I can't change the selection in the option at all.

Close Game: And maybe it is just something with my PC but everytime I close the game windows gives me a message that the program stopped working properly.

Text Signs: On the text signs at the beggining it shows the keys to attack and jump a little odd to the rest of the text. Also the second one has text going outside the textbox and when looking the intro in 1X you can't really see just one line of horizontal pixels in the text.

Level on Pause: I killed a monster just before leveling up and paused immediately to spend my upgrade points, however I did it fast enough to do it before the exp ball reached the exp bar... but it did while I was on the pause menu making me level up while I was on the pause menu.

Potion Twice: I was abble to open twice the first chest you find with a potion. I can't seem to find an specific action that triggers this but the closest I could find was:
-Taking the potion from the chest.
-Saving before talking for the first time to the merchant and then talking to him.
-Die and talk to the merchant for the first time (again).
-Die again and when you go back to check the chest it is closed again, you can open it and gain a second potion and it is showed in your item list as two potions.
Haven't tried it, but I assume you can repeat this to get infinite potions for free.

Coins won't stop: There is a part with four blocks floating and another two blocks floating right over the first four. When you destroy the two ones at the top and drop a coin the coin passes right through the other four blocks and doesn't stop until hitting the floor.

Can't Play: You can't play at all a new game after you completed another. I completed a game and decided to start a new one, the intro worked the same as always but when you start the player starts with the same life, magic and exp as the one you had when you completed the game, the character just moved to the left walking past the 'invisible wall' and the initial monologue didn't appear either. The controls didn't do anything at all and I couldn't even pause the game, had to close it.

Fireballs don't dissapear: To the left of the first save point there is a plant-like monster that throws fireballs at you. If a fireball doesn't hit you and just keeps going it apparently dissapears, I guess there is no problem with keeping it since it's faster than the player and he will never find the same fireball. However on that same monster, I killed it, continued to the left then came back checking if the chest (mentioned before) is open again and decided to jump of the ledge to the right to cut time, and that's when I find the same fireball that now that it is again on screen it keeps moving and it hits me even when the monster that shoots fireball is long gone.

But as you may noticed, everything I mentioned is something not really easy to find, so these are things that don't stop the gameplay and you can keep playing it. And kudos to you for the cool game.
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »

I just Found this on metroidvanias.tumblr.
Pretty cool looking project, this could have easily slipped under my radar.
I Hope to see where this goes Beer!
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:04:20 AM »

Thanks samazure for taking the time to write such an detailed report! You're the best  Hand Thumbs Up Right

@Darkwanderer: Yeah, we're having a hard time getting the game noticed actually. I'm starting to realize getting the game out there is about as much work than making the game itself.

samazure
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »

No problem, always happy to help  Coffee
marsfromvenus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 12:13:30 PM »

@Darkwanderer-ererere; I love you for providing that tumblr, I never knew it existed!

@Zizka; I'm really excited to play this game, I'm loving the art (very reminiscent of some of the 2D Castlevania, really impressive how you nailed it!)! I'll try to post some useful feedback when I get my time to play.

Thanks!

Creation is the highest form of learning.
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »

Could a moderator move this thread to playtesting please?

sure thing!
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:27 PM »

Thank you, John Sandoval, I appreaciate it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

@Marsfromvenus: Well, looking forward to it then  Smiley.

Out of curiosity, do you think it's necessary to add a unique gameplay element to ''stand out'' so to speak? We're kind of torn about this. On one hand, I think the game is already fun as is. It's pretty classic but I think people would probably go for it.

On the other hand, if we want this to sort of "make it", other people have told us that we needed something really different otherwise no one would buy the game as it's not original enough...

What's your take on it? Concerned

marsfromvenus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:17:52 PM »

Here are my initial observations;

You may want someone to go over the text composition, there are a few things that don't make sense in English and/or are grammatical errors (from some signs and whatnot).

The initial resolution should start at the 2x size I think, the 1x size is far too small to see at first.

There should be an options menu early on, perhaps in the key config screen area, where you can change the resolution right away, rather than in game.

I wonder slightly if the main character feels a little tallish? Maybe stretched a little?

The installer is in French. Totally cool, I'm not an 'English only' sort of American, and I installed the game easily enough, but this could turn some potential testers away. I'm sure this isn't a huge deal though.

Besides that, the game is beautiful, I'm really liking the backdrops as well as the characters/enemies. I rolled this on my Surface Pro and it runs great. I'm hoping to dive in a little more to see what else is in store for us!

marsfromvenus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »

Also, what would you consider your special element to be?

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »

You may want someone to go over the text composition, there are a few things that don't make sense in English and/or are grammatical errors (from some signs and whatnot).

See, if you could point out what's wrong if you feel like it and if you have the time, that'd be pretty awesome as I'd really like to get this fixed.  Toast Right

As for the special element... hum... well that's the thing, we were thinking maybe having a system of "character shift" as in Castlevania III. You know, how each character have special skills.

Something to stand out sort of.

marsfromvenus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 07:03:29 PM »

I will write them down as I can!

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »

@marsforvenus: Thank you!!!  Coffee

First off, a new monster (grab this as an opportunity to practice my walk cycle, hehe):

So, we've decided to add some sort of evade move just like in Castlevania.

I'd like to know which one you prefer between the two versions. I prefer the one with a purple shadow thing but most people prefer without.

Do you like the animation (I know, I'm insecure about my stuff sometimes  Giggle)

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:53 PM »

I dig it. Perhaps some after images/tracers of the players silhouette could be added, for a feeling of swiftness.
(Like a blur effect)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:29:46 AM by DarkWanderer » Logged
Digital Awakening
Level 0

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »

OK, finally got around to playtest this. It looks very promising from the screens.

1. You need to be able to change the resolution before starting the game. I can barely read the text on the intro. I don't see why this isn't part of the launcher, since you are using a launcher. If possible, all settings should preferable be inside the game itself. Having to quit to change the keys is not that great. Why not add options/settings to the main menu?

2. The intro is too fast, I can't read that. It also cannot be skipped which is annoying. I suggest Esc or menu button to skip it. Also, it is better to advance the screens using key input. That way I can read it in my own pace.

3. Turn off filtering, or at least an option for it. Playing in full screen everything becomes blurry. In AGK (that I am using) it's called mag filter. Turning this off lets me keep the pixels sharp in my game.

4. Playing on a keyboard I rather use the attack button to confirm menus etc. If I was using a controller, then the jump button is better. So I would prefer an option for this.

5. Why does that plant take so many hits? Also, the hero jumps so high from a quick tap that I jump to high to hit it. And tapping left or right you move quite a long distance, making it a bit hard to adjust your distance from enemies.

6. The English text is weird and have misspellings here and there.

7. Once I got to the shop I didn't have enough money to buy the amulet. So I had to run back to the beginning of the game to collect coins. This felt rather uninteresting.

8. The shop dialog always appears from the hero, making it a bit hard to follow who says what. It would be nice with some indicator as to who it box "belongs" too.

9. I fell and died on my way back to the shop. Why instant death when falling off the screen?

10. After dying I had to go through the shop dialog again. Why does it has to take so long to go through a dialog even though I hammer the key? Having to watch the box and text animate with no way to speed it up is annoying. And how about Esc or menu button to skip it all?

11. You cannot use the menu button to close the menu, odd. There's also a bug where you cannot use the back button to exit the stats menu, but here the menu button works.

The game seems very promising, but I ran out of patience to play more right now. There's quite a few little things that just annoys me right from the start. I am also a bit short on time. I will playtest more later. It's probably more fun once I get into it. I like this type of game.

Follow me on Twitter @M_Esko
Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »

Hello Digital Awakening, thank you for your in-depth review.

I'll give you my opinion about your suggestions but keep in mind I'm just helping out with the game so there's not much I can do about the decisions themselves.

#1. I agree completely. Options should be implemented directly in the game.

#2. I agree with this too, I've told the main dev before.

#3. I don't experience this issue myself but it's good to know and to eventually add as an option.

#4. That shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

#5. What would you suggest?

#6. I've read this before a few times but so far no one has actually provided where and why the text is weird which makes it impossible to fix. So I'll have to wait until people point out the problem with this as I translated the text.

#7. Hmm.. this is the first time I've read about this, the amulet is very cheap. I understand your frustration but don't really think it's a big issue however. Just my opinion.

#8. I agree, it's a good idea.

#9. I've told this to the dev' before. I don't think there should be any insta-death in the whole game. The best alternative would be to appear on the edge of the platform and losing health as opposed to dying. Apparently, this is very difficult to program, I couldn't tell you though.

#10. Again, I agree. Slow dialogs bore me also.

#11. Ok, will let him know.

So that was very thorough, thanks.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic