Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:13:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlokzplus Engine: New Demo + Devlogs
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Blokzplus Engine: New Demo + Devlogs  (Read 7843 times)
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »

BLOKZplus is a new voxel world engine for GameMaker Studio inspired by games like Infiniminer, Minecraft, and Terrablox.

Here are some of the features of the current PreAlpha demo:
  • Fast Perlin and Ridged Multifractal terrain generation.
  • Chunk based terrain.
  • Realtime dynamic chunk generation (walk around while the world builds itself around you).
  • Blocks cast smooth shadows.
  • Foliage blocks blow in the breeze.
  • Blocks can have tags attached, such as a glow color or a special front facing texture.
  • 3D perlin caves system.
  • Tons of block types, like stackable half blocks, morphed blocks with different heights and widths, cling blocks that you can place on the sides of other blocks, and even beds!
  • Vertex baked smooth AO and Lighting effects.
  • Super efficient texture lookup system with no redundant textures or unused spaces.
  • And more!

Originally BLOKZplus began as a simple conversion of the Block Engine by Lourens into GameMaker Studio with improved terrain generation and fixed ds_grid warnings but it quickly took on a new life of it's own. My intention for the engine once it's complete enough is to license it's use to other GM developers at a low cost. however this won't happen until the engine is as feature rich and responsive as possible. I don't intend to market anything less than outstanding.

That being said, this is a very early test build that I want you to try out, give me your feedback, average frame rate, and average chunk speeds, and any complaints, comments, or suggestions you might want see in the final product. This is something I feel very strongly about and I want to make this engine as awesome as possible and your feedback will make that possible!

Download the demo:
PreALPHA Testbuild
Please be sure to look through the readme if you want to avoid crashes!

Also, please keep comments civilized. If you have any issues with the fact that I intend to commercialize the large amounts of work that I put into this, keep in mind that times are really hard right now for everyone and we could all use a little extra help every now and then.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:24:43 PM by Indecom » Logged
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:59:17 AM »

Logo looks like "Bloke Plus".

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:14 AM »

Lol well that's an easy fix. Any crits on the demo?
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »

Added a presentation mode to use in a devlog series I'm going to post on youtube to show off engine progress. When you press the enter key to free up the mouse, you'll get a nice view like this:

This isnt in the current build of the demo but will be added in a coming update.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »

Removed all the chunk seams:

DarkPixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:39 AM »

I tried the test build, with the default seed, but it was unplayable. The FPS meter says over 100 fps, but in reality it's probably like 10 fps max. Probably the chunk generation "Chunk seconds", break the main game loop, so it isn't smooth.

If that is fixed, it's going to be pretty awesome.

EDIT:

Also there is probably a bug, that causes the faces to not show up as you can see in he screenshot.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 02:58:28 AM »

Thanks for the comments DarkPixel. Right now the chunk generation is pretty laggy, and it keeps going and going until all of the chunks are generated, which is only 13x13 in the current demo so after a couple of minutes the game will get much smoother. As for those missing faces, those occur along seams between chunks, along with vertex AO mismatching. Those issues have been corrected today and will be so in the next demo. Thanks for playing with it! Give it a little bit to generate the whole terrain then play around with it, and don't forget about Noclip Flight, you can discover some interesting cave systems with it!
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Heya guys, posted the first Blokz+ devlog on youtube!

GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »

Are you Wayukain?

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:41:20 PM »

I'm not, but I'm borrowing textures from various texture packs for my demos. Saves me some time. The textures will all be replaced with creative commons textures upon release of the source.
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

It'd be cool if you could have these textures in game. Maybe show her/him(?) the project and ask. He/she(?) seems to be a cool guy/girl(?)

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »

I might do that. They are really pretty textures. I'm not actually putting together a game with this at the moment, but rather an engine, or "template" that I hope to license out to other GM-S developers for a pretty low price.
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:55 AM »

Small teaser update:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:25:35 AM by Indecom » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »

I really wish you were making an original game with this, it would be damn cool seeing the amount of work you put into it already.  Smiley
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »

Actually I will be making an original game with this, but I need a complete engine first. This is what i'm planning, albeit on a much older version of the engine:

CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »

A new devlog has been uploaded and the first post has been edited with a link to follow the devlogs. Also the demo has been updated. Keep in mind though that point lights have been temporarily removed from the demo until I feel they are more ready for public testing. Lights are super buggy right now. Check the first post for all the goodies!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:30:48 AM by Indecom » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »

Actually I will be making an original game with this, but I need a complete engine first. This is what i'm planning, albeit on a much older version of the engine:

snip

Thank you jesus
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 12:46:21 AM »

Lol thanks. I'm not the kind of guy to run around making clones Tongue btw here's some updates. A new devlog should be up in the next couple of days to show off these fancy new lightings:

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »

Looks gorgeous, I can the appeal of a good voxel engine like yours; Voxelvania much?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
CDLegasse
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »

Haha thanks Oodavid!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic