Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:22:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogspy, Places
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: py, Places  (Read 29431 times)
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »

--

Original post:

"Project y"

Soo, I've been working on and off on this exploration game for some time now. Right now it's more of a 3d painting than game though. Current goal is to make the walking around aspect feel more interesting as well as experimenting with the visual style further.

Winter scene from a few of months ago:

Windows build (likely buggy Shrug): http://jlv.sdf.org/pub/p/places/Place-1_v1.0_win32.zip

Started on this late autumn scene today. The first picture is a quick color study.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:53:00 AM by ktch » Logged

HughSJ
Level 1

'allo there

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »

lovely man. How long have you been working on this project? And is the end goal to be purely an environmental walk-around or will you integrate some kind of interactive component. Not making a suggestion either way, just curious.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »

Soo, I've been working on and off on this exploration game for some time now. Right now it's more of a 3d painting than game though.

Looks a lot like the sort of scenery I grew up in. Not sure if this even needs to be more than a "3d painting" - I enjoyed strolling through the demo's virtual reality as it is. Oculus Rift support would be perfect for a game like this. In the meantime, there's some neat use of muted colors here, but the sort of plastic look of the objects' edges bothered me. Felt like it detracts from the therapeutic value.

If you want to add anything more gamelike, consider different ways of accessing places, like some flying powerup that's hidden in the game world. It can do just fine without goal-oriented gameplay, I think, you just need to have things to discover.
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »

Wow. The winter scene is stunning. It's strange - I've seen scenes that are more 'realistic', but somehow the slight pixelation and lack of details in your gif feels much more evocative and closer to memory.

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »

lovely man. How long have you been working on this project? And is the end goal to be purely an environmental walk-around or will you integrate some kind of interactive component. Not making a suggestion either way, just curious.

I think it's been over two and a half years now... but I've probably put around a couple of months worth of actual work into this. I had zero experience of 3d programming when I started and much of the math involved had long since been forgotten, so a big part has been just (re)learning those. It's been fun though. Grin

The initial idea was just to provide a interesting and atmospheric virtual world to explore. That's what I enjoy the most in other games. At one point I was thinking of adding buildings and other human made objects to explore and interact with but it just seems to be so much more work if done properly. So for now, I'll keep it simple and probably create a couple more nature scenes alongside that winter one.

In the meantime, there's some neat use of muted colors here, but the sort of plastic look of the objects' edges bothered me. Felt like it detracts from the therapeutic value.

If you want to add anything more gamelike, consider different ways of accessing places, like some flying powerup that's hidden in the game world. It can do just fine without goal-oriented gameplay, I think, you just need to have things to discover.

Hmm, I think I understand what you mean by the plastic look. Are you referring to the objects in general and how the hard texture edges are? Or for example the small spruces? Those ended up looking especially plastic due to a combination of the low res alpha tested textures and the actual color choices.

Agree about having more things to discover. That's one of the problems with the winter scene, not enough variety. One of the things I have thought about is to sprinkle unique locations/objects in the world for player to discover.

Wow. The winter scene is stunning. It's strange - I've seen scenes that are more 'realistic', but somehow the slight pixelation and lack of details in your gif feels much more evocative and closer to memory.

Thanks. Was going for the overall feel of the place and tried to subordinate much of the detail that wasn't necessary.

Here's a rough summer scene mockup (looks a bit too cartoony). That pixelated stripe on the right is supposed to be a radio tower but the mipmapping is pretty much killing it.

Aerial shot of the latest scene.

Any tips/tools for manually painting skyboxes in PS/Gimp/etc.?

tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »

This looks super gorgeous and awesome. Will definitely be watching.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »

Yea i have a tip. Don't do it in gimp or photoshop. use Vue, it's fairly easy to generate.

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »

It's beautiful.
Oleksii Slipets
Level 0

Здоровенькі були!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »

This is so atmospheric... Amazing!
Keep working on it.

It reminds me of my winter scene Wink

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »

Hey, your link is down.

Looks a lot like the sort of scenery I grew up in.
Same here. (at least the gifs you posted)

@Oleksii: Actually your game reminds me a lot of Hide.

Oleksii Slipets
Level 0

Здоровенькі були!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »

@Oleksii: Actually your game reminds me a lot of Hide.
You're right, it was inspired by Hide.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

I agree with the others above, the winter scene looks lovely.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Thanks for dropping by everyone.

@Oleksii Slipets: Cool, I like it!

Progress has been somewhat slow, as usual. Smiley Some changes from last few weeks:
- Improved rain rendering with alpha blending and other tweaks
- Hacked a simple 3d positional audio system on top of SDL_mixer (to be replaced with OpenAL)
- Footsteps sounds by terrain type
- Some sound effect tests, eg. branch scraping sounds when walking past trees
- Separated world objects (trees and other plants) into "mass" and "detail" categories. This is basically a LOD system where the mass category contains large objects that define landscape features and detail category has smaller objects that can't be seen from far away but provide local variance when near.

Hopefully I'll have something to show towards the end of the week.

Got recently pretty inspired by a couple of games.

First one is the alpha version (from around 2003) of a pretty popular MMO (I'll let you guess which Smiley). Exploring on a local sandbox server with no NPCs or other players at all but instead just a huge abandoned, although detailed, world felt pretty amazing. Great sense of scale.

And then I tried Noctis again after finally getting past the ship controls. Very cool and atmospheric, the grainy visuals really let your imagination run wild. There's also something weirdly frightening about it. Accidentally landing on a gas planet and getting sucked in would be a nightmare although I don't think that's possible. Who, Me?

Any other suggestions for similar, possibly less known games?

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »

Couple of experiments. Smiley

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

The environments look wonderful, and create a strong sense of landscape and place.Especially the winter scene

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »

Oh my god, that rain is amazing  Shocked

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »

Did some more experimenting with yesterdays scene, this time with a winter theme. Sorry about the massive gifs.

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »

Recently as I was reading The Road, a thing that really started to appeal to me was the idea of long distance travelling. For example being inland and getting towards the coast, and being able to freely plan your way there. Travelling would take time as you'd expect in real life. There could be some resource management and survival stuff involved, but I wouldn't really want to turn them into actual gameplay mechanics. More like lightweight make-believe kind of activity.

To avoid turning into a tedious endurance test, the environment should be varied enough (on global and local scale) so that route planning is actually meaningful and that there are enough new things to see as you progress.

Content wise this would be a pretty huge undertaking, even though I would be using a similar graphical style as I have up until now (textured billboards etc.) and some procedural generation. It would also be cool to add things like roads and power lines which you could follow along. Perhaps some buildings/ruins etc.. so it quickly starts getting out of hand...

Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 01:32:33 PM »

This looks excellent!

If you haven't seen it yet, I think Miasmata may be worth a look -- it's entirely based around exploration of a large island, and has a fascinating navigation system in which you fill in a map by triangulating your position with landmarks. (You're trying to find components for a medicine to cure yourself of a disease). Does a great job making simple exploration engaging. It also has pitch black nights and a panther-thing hunting you.   

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 04:26:48 PM »

Canada!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic