Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:16:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogspy, Places
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: py, Places  (Read 29038 times)
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

I think these places are fantastic, want to keep an eye on this thread.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 07:24:52 AM »

@Colon Semicolon: I would really like to have buildings as well. It does complicates things though, because it probably wouldn’t be very fun to just have empty shells that you wouldn’t be able to get in. They’d need to be decorated, etc. On tech side of things it would need at least more sophisticated physics. Lighting might need some work too.
@Ubrasaur: thanks Coffee

I’ve been doing some thinking on what I’d like to do next with this, beyond just the 3d scenes. Along the way I came to the conclusion that I just can’t feel motivated if I’m not making this exclusively for myself. I still want this to be a exploration/walking around thing and rely heavily on the sense of discovery and ambience. That pretty much rules out hand crafted scenes, as there’s not much discovery left when you’ve laid out every square meter of the game world yourself.

So I started doing some experimentation with procedural content generation. I’ve been doing a bit of reading on forests, swamps and their ecology and that sort of things. It’s pretty interesting actually, as biology was one of my favourite subjects when I was a kid.

To get started, I did some rudimentary tests one evening. Below are a couple of screenshots of a water map laid over terrain. It’s very crude, just some perlin noise modulated by terrain height. But before continuing to tweak it, I think I need to get some sort of plant generation going to really see how it affects the results.

Btw, I made a tumblr account to post some misc. screenshots etc., ktch0.tumblr.com. Check it out if that sound interesting. Smiley

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »

Some experimentation with mountains for fun. Smiley

I also started with some initial work to get the plant placement code going. Here's Scots pine and Norway spruce competing for light and water. Not event remotely accurate but it's a start.

I'm not exactly sure yet if I should grow the plants by simulation them, their environment and all the interactions (on a very coarse level of course) or just go with predefined plant brushes and splatter those around. The latter is sort of what I did in Place 1 and 2. I found some good ideas for the first option here: http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/

Larger versions of the pictures here: ktch0.tumblr.com

errik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »

Really like where this is going! Wonderful atmosphere, following with interest Smiley

One idea I came up with, (Im sure youve thought about it), making a fire for the night would be cool. Just putting some dry branches in a pile and let them burn until theyre exhausted.
Obviously it wouldnt be possible during rain unless youre under a big tree or similar.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »

Sweet landscapes

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »

The last pics you posted on tumblr are super nice and very painterely. Makes me want to pick up the oils again.
Keep it up!

(I just wish you took wallpaper-sized screenshots!)

pottering
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »

very inspiring, following
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »

Thanks guys!

@herror: check below Smiley

I got the plant placement code mentioned in previous post working.

It's based on a relatively simple L-system described in http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/eco.gi2002.html. I need to play with it more though to know if it really suits my needs.

The colors and textures are still temp and I've been thinking about what i'd like to do with them going forward. Here's an example sketch I did of a totally different autumn landscape while searching for ideas.

LeafThief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »

This is wonderful work you're doing. It's amazing how you manage to evoke the sense of place others have already been commenting on. And the wide range of expressions through the landscapes. Truly wonderful and very helpful to see your process. Keep it up Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Left

The Lion's Song Devlog - 1910 Point & Click Adventure
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »

Let's try to resurrect this. Smiley I took a pause from this project to work on another for a while (a little DOS style platformer posted here... http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45748).

I've started working on Place 3 and I think it's going to be another little winter scene like Place 1. Originally I was planning on doing an autumn scene but I tend to get inspired by the current time of year, so decided on doing something winter related. It's also easier to gather reference pictures and record sound effects.

During the last couple of days, I've been fixing up some rendering bugs now that I switched from alpha testing to blending. It's making some things more complicated than before, but I think it's worth it. The whole visual goal of this project is to look painterly and it's now much closer to that. Also texture painting is a lot more fun and painless as the paint application essentially becomes a WYSIWYG object editor.

Here's some textures I painted today...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »

I'm loving the art direction for this. Especially the wintery and darker and colder scenes. Artsy-styled engine needs artsy game! So don't look at GTA for inspiration, look at pretentious indie games without the standard fighting formula. c; Exploration alone is something I feel I don't see often enough. Would love to have be just a nice place to walk around and discover things in. Bit like Fez, perhaps.

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 01:22:05 AM »

Cheers! I can tell you right away that this won't have anything to do with GTA except perhaps the open world element. Grin I think the biggest inspiration is Myst, which had a big impact on me back when it came out. I liked how the world just existed there...

This Places series of small "3D paintings" stems from how I often was frustrated that you could paint all these interesting looking worlds but could never walk in them. I do have long term ideas for a bigger game but in the meantime I'm having lots of fun programming and painting these, taking small steps towards those future goals. Smiley

Btw, the latest scene is based on a painting I did for Place 1 http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37903.msg1032377#msg1032377

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »

These places seem very place-like and real

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »

Well, there's been very little progress with Place 3 during the last couple of months so I decided I might as well release it and move on to other experiments. It's pretty barren but you might still get a kick out of it. Smiley

Here's a direct download link: http://jlv.sdf.org/pub/p/places/Place3-win32.zip

Let me know if there are any problems.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2015, 12:07:48 AM »

Your artwork is beautiful!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
sonjool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »

damn. the atmosphere is beautiful. really like the watercolor-y trees as well.

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

Just beautiful, haunting.  You mentioned The Road in an earlier post, that's very much the feel I get here, hit the nail on the head Wink

If you haven't seen it, Killscreen did a nice article on these: http://killscreendaily.com/articles/wander-through-tranquil-wilderness-these-3d-painted-worlds/

Looking forward to more!

ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »

@MereMonkey, @sonjool: Thanks!

@acatalept: Thanks, yeah, I'm still dreaming of a game where you'd just go on a long journey through desolate landscapes. I think the closest to that feeling that I've gotten so far in a game is, perhaps somewhat suprisingly, travelling through Azeroth in WoW on a private server with no mobs or other players. There are no boundaries or artificial goals and you're just led by your own curiosity, for which there's tons and tons of stuff waiting to get discovered.

Wasn't aware of that article, very cool!

edit: Btw, singmetosleep looks very intriguing, there seems to be much of what I was just trying to describe!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:56:36 AM by ktch » Logged

hammedhaaret
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:45 AM »

these are great!

the air has a great sense of density and the light in that skybox! such a good subtle way to give orientation when wandering around.

I'm very interested in how you make the sky.
the gradient, noise...  is it all from a shader?
and is the effect when you walk to the edge of the world and the noise magnifies intentional?  i love it.

I've been modeling landscapes in the last year too, and you're really hitting something good here
ktch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:09 AM »

Hey, thanks!

The fog is just basic exponential fog but its color is partially sampled from a smaller blurred version of the skybox cubemap. This is a neat little trick I picked up from the Wolfire blog: http://blog.wolfire.com/2008/12/sky/ Really helps to tie the sky and rest of the environment together.

The skybox texture is essentially 3d perlin noise with added sun effect. I wrote a tool for generating these a while back. In the future I'd really like to find a good way directly paint skybox textures (where I wouldn't have to deal with seams and distortion) but this method works for simple foggy skyboxes like the one in Place 3.

I add a little bit of white noise in post processing to again tie things together. Noise strength is indeed controlled by how close to the world edge you are. At one point I was thinking of these places as kind of memories where the world sort of deteriorates the further you go. I guess I was trying to achieve a bit of that there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic