Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:20:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeoneering
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeoneering  (Read 3444 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »

The noble king who rules the great city of Magnarlia has heard of monster attacks on neighbouring villages, thus he sent his finest royal knights to avert the danger. Few days have passed, and his men still haven't returned. He fears of the worst and summons the grand masters of three dominating orders in the city. Each order cultivates a certain skillset.

Those orders are: order of sorcery, order of the assassins & order of swordsmanship. As they hail the great king, he explains the situation, and asks them to select their finest apprentices that would together form a company and investigate the case of misterious monsters and their attacks on peaceful villages. None of the grand masters wishes to lose a fine and promising apprentice, so each of them exposes rather feeble student.

And so the party of three students - Forthwind of sorcerers, Francis of assassins and Bryce of swordsmen is formed. The team will have to face horrible monsters, penetrate countless dungeons and caves to bring peace to their homeland and unveil the mistery that covers the appearance of terrifying creatures in a greedy, but peaceful world.

All art is WIP (actually, the whole game is WIP). Also, you can see that assassin is an archer, because I haven't done his sprite yet. Durr...?

Click to display in full size.

(Old GIF, movement mechanics & graphics have changed now)

I intend to have ~23 levels that together will unfold the story. Each level is filled with monsters, and from time to time with a special boss.
Those maps will contain light puzzles (go there & there to open up this, for example), and will be set both in the dungeons and on free air.

As player progresses through the game, he gets better and better weaponry and skills. Each character (archer, mage and swordsman) has separate skills. For now I plan to let each character have four skill slots, one of which is occupied by obligatory melee attack. Before starting a level, player can customize his characters' skills (aka. select three out of all skills he has)

The game is purely turn based, like Dungeons & Dragons.
At the moment the whole mechanics & engine is nearly ready. Art and levels will follow later.

The main platform is android (2.3+). I'd like to port the game to iOS and desktops (Linux, OS X, Windows), but to support Apple devices I would need some money (to buy myself a mac mini), so we'll see about that.

- Everything is written from scratch with Java and OpenGL
- The development started around september, 2013
- I intend to add some sort of lighting & shadowing
- I am doing everything myself, so if you'd like to talk about helping me with the graphics, I'd be open for a chat Wink Though, I cannot offer money per hour of work, only revenue (that's why I didn't ask anywhere, only left the notice here)

Ask if you have any questions. Feedback is more than welcome Smiley (Nobody likes dead silence!).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:22:06 AM by kamac » Logged

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »

So, I've changed the logo (I'm still not sure about it - it doesn't seem to be customized enough. Oh well, we'll see), it's in the first post. I have also recorded some basic footage showcasing the game's small engine as it is of today.

Here's the video:

Unfortunately, there are still no sounds in the game, so I am using youtube's music to fill in the silence Tongue

Today and tommorow, perhaps, I'll be implementing some shadows & lighting. When that's done, it'll come time for some additional shaders to juicy everything up. (Like reflections from torches & flames, perhaps?)

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »

Alright, it's been ten days, and I'm back after a break. The days that followed after my last post were quite busy, and kept me away from adding shadow maps to the game.

So today I quickly added proper Assassin's sprite

I hope he looks decently.

On the tech side, I added a depth sorter for semi-transparent billboards (like fire, for example), so they're displaying properly now. (Nothing fancy, though)

So, TOMMOROW, shadow maps. Hopefully. Crazy

@EDIT
Now I see that the knight needs a complete rework. He doesn't look too good compared to wizard and assassin. (Maybe wizard needs a rework aswell, actually? Shocked)

But I guess I'll bother with graphics later on Evil

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

hey kamac, cool to see you starting a new game. good luck Grin

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »

Hi eigenbom, the father of moonman Smiley Thanks for the wishes Wink

@The game
Since I have some spare time, I'm working on removing redundant slots (the empty slots that have no assigned skill won't be displayed)

Also, some minor optimalization.

I hope to have lots of fun gameplay footage after I've got the core gameplay working (few items left on the TODO list) - then I'll be adding maps & content & graphics, so that'll be something to show.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:36:08 PM by kamac » Logged

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

On my way to implementing shadow maps. Today added post processing (1st step towards shadow maps) and fixed the depth sorter a bit.

Here's a sample of post processing shader

Ofcourse I don't intend to keep this effect Tongue

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:24:13 AM »

Nearly got the shadows right.. It's been two days already Lips Sealed

I intend to use directional lights for outdoor areas. I'm only testing them/it on a dungeon.

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

Had a break (Gothic marathon, I played through Gothic I, II and III, but only finished I because playing as a mage in II with NoTR addon was a joke - hell, in particular. Got bored with III because you quickly get powerful and then it's only mindless killing), and about today I came back to my lovely game. Still wrestlin' with them shadows, but thanks to marvellous advices coming from Polly it's quite better now. Yet, still something's broken.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

And a close-up which reveals the artifacts:

It's a huge pain, demotivating, too, but I cannot give up on those shadows. They just look too cool to me Facepalm

Well, hopefully I'll fix them shadows soon, and I'll be able to move onto things like spell effects, item wielding & dropping system, blood particles and such.
When that's done, I'll move on onto maps, which means more shapes like pillars, bridges and so forth, along with scripted events like small puzzles.

But those shadows.. I could aswell delay their implementation to a later date, but then my screenshots won't be as wonderful as I'd like them to be.

Also, I think I'll change game's name. Both because the game is not much about dungeons actually, it'll feature only a handful levels in dungeons (besides that there'll be forests, cities and such). Besides that, there's a quite popular game Guild of Dungeoneering, and I don't want to impersonate anyone or anything. It's just too similar.

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »

The shadows are fixed and the core engine (along with game mechanics) is in. Time to work on the art!

I started with avatars for game characters. Since I like mages very much, I though that I'd start with one. In the story, he's an archmage (I know, badass).

Took me whole 1.5 hour(s) to create him. I've got the thing in vector format, so I can scale him to my likings without losing the quality.

The game is supposed to be humorous, so don't mind the hat Smiley

I hope he looks fine, and that mixing my pixel "art" and vector art will look OK.

Any thoughts? Hate, perhaps?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:53:56 AM by kamac » Logged

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »

The sprites facing the cameras position bothers me a bit. I think they should line up with their screen position instead. It may be on your list, I just though I'd bring it up.

If you are using Unity, instead of... I guess, LookAt(Camera.main.transform), do something like:

screenPos = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint(transform.position);
facingPos = Camera.ViewportToWorldPoint(screenPos);

I may be overstepping here, but whatever.

Gothic marathon

yes!
Maybe try Dungeon Lords, its really neat and stupid, but cool.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:00:03 PM by coah » Logged
Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »

Looks nice, especially since you're targeting mobile platforms I guess it should do well there, the animations look suitable Grin

Good luck!

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »

The sprites facing the cameras position bothers me a bit. I think they should line up with their screen position instead. It may be on your list, I just though I'd bring it up.

If you are using Unity, instead of... I guess, LookAt(Camera.main.transform), do something like:

screenPos = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint(transform.position);
facingPos = Camera.ViewportToWorldPoint(screenPos);

I may be overstepping here, but whatever.

Yup, I tried axis-aligning my sprites, but it didn't feel right. (Since I didn't skew vertices accordingly, to get a better effect)

I'm writing it from scratch, though, so no unity here Tongue

I still haven't finished with it, though.

Looks nice, especially since you're targeting mobile platforms I guess it should do well there, the animations look suitable Grin

Good luck!

Thank you Smiley

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:23 AM »

He's the assassin's grandmaster. Didn't really turn out as handsomly as the archmage in my opinion. I think I didn't have the idea for his appearance.

Share a thought?

@EDIT
Lightly touched the shadows. I know, I have no sense of 3D lighting Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:15:58 AM by kamac » Logged

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

(Click to make it go big)

Moving slowly towards adding first cutscene. For now adding art only. The purple-ish mage is the archmage's sprite (game sprite of the avatar posted earlier). He'll be in the cutscene.

I still have to do grand assassin and swordmaster sprites, then I'll start on adding scripted events. (Cutscenes etc.)

And yes, the king's throne is very much WIP.

Siegfreide
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »

This looks amazing so far! I seriously have a hard time this is actually being developed for android, I had no idea that with was a possibility for mobile devices. While it would probably take a considerable amount of time before I was java fluent enough to design something like this, it gives me a lot of hope and ideas for the future Smiley Thanks for linking me to this thread sir, I appreciate being sown such a good example of the possibilities of java on android!
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »

the atmosphere music was good
kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »

the atmosphere music was good

What music? Durr...?
I guess you mean something like how shitty the youtube one was (and is).

This looks amazing so far! I seriously have a hard time this is actually being developed for android, I had no idea that with was a possibility for mobile devices. While it would probably take a considerable amount of time before I was java fluent enough to design something like this, it gives me a lot of hope and ideas for the future Smiley Thanks for linking me to this thread sir, I appreciate being sown such a good example of the possibilities of java on android!

Glad to have helped Tongue

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »

the sounds aren't yours? weak but effective. idk.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic