Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:07:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRunMan: Race Around the World (v 1.2 Dec 10)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: RunMan: Race Around the World (v 1.2 Dec 10)  (Read 46032 times)
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »

(Updated 10/2!)

I am Tom Sennett. You may know me from such "classics" as When The Bomb Goes Off, RunMan's Monster Fracas, or Tom Sennett, Procrastinator.

I have joined forces with Matt Thorson. You may know Matt from such abusive experiences as MoneySeize, Jumper 3, or An Untitled Story.

If you don't know either of us, YOU SURE WILL ONCE THIS GAME IS OUT. Apoplectic

Race Around the World is a platformer with an emphasis on speed and flow. To get a good score on each course, you have to run through it really fast without stopping. The actual scoring is a bit more complex than that, but that's basically it.

You can't die, because dying's not fun.

All the music in this game is from the public domain, and includes songs by Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, and many others.

After 4+ years of the work, the game is finally arriving OCTOBER 1, 2009.

Get pumped.

Edit:
The game is out, get it here.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:58:10 AM by TOM SENNETT » Logged

Decipher
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »

The graphics have this pure, beautiful and smooth style. I'm so in love with them. Also, unfortunately I haven't played any of your games before, but this one looks plain awesome. The gameplay reminded me of Sonic, although RunMan seems to possess this very unique and somewhat funny style of its own.

I totally adore it already, would love to play a demo.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »

Liked monster fracas, even though i never had the patience to play it for more than a few minutes at the time, and it got a bit repetitive with the same music and the same backgrounds all the time. It seems like you have solved that problem!
Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:30 AM »

Shocked  Kiss

I love the sense of speed in the trailer!  And the bouncing off walls, and the visual style ... it's all great.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:29 AM »

OH yay! This is pretty exciting news - unusually, I've been following Runman since... well, it's been a while. Either Going Coconuts or Unlimited. Whichever came first. Always liked the character, always hoped to see more of him. Naturally Runman Monster Fracas really got me enthused - it's so smooth, and the banjo music was pretty boss.

And now this! Looks like an Ultimate Runman, of sorts. With more banjo blues. Glee.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:40:14 AM »

I fucking love Runman's Monster Fracas, great news this is
Will keep a close eye to this thread Beer!
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »

The art is awesome.
The-Imp
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »

YES.

I NEED THIS NOW.
Runman's Monster Fracas is one of my favorite arcade styled games, EVER.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:04:45 PM by Imp » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »

Kiss It's unrelated, but I'd say this video sums up our game perfectly anyway.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »

Yeah, it's neat :D So you're working on this too huh? I'm quite a fan acually, jumper two helped me and my friends kill a serious amount of time during a schoolyear(got 89% or something like that), and An Untitled Story had me glued to the screen for a week. Maybe the best indie platform explorer(IPE?) game I've played, even though some bosses where just way too hard Lips Sealed

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, will be interesting to see where it goes

i stole your car
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »

...and you've got the guy from Jumper working on this?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »

:D

We got through it with something like 20 000 deaths Tired
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

Nice, looks like Speedrun: The Game.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »

Yeah, it's neat :D So you're working on this too huh? I'm quite a fan acually, jumper two helped me and my friends kill a serious amount of time during a schoolyear(got 89% or something like that), and An Untitled Story had me glued to the screen for a week. Maybe the best indie platform explorer(IPE?) game I've played, even though some bosses where just way too hard Lips Sealed

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, will be interesting to see where it goes

Thanks dude!  That really means a lot to me.

...and you've got the guy from Jumper working on this?

I can behave when I need to Tongue

:D

We got through it with something like 20 000 deaths Tired

Evil

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 04:18:16 PM »

rmf was the game that got me into freeware/indie gaming, and jumper got me even more into it.
i absolutely cannot wait for this.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »

I actually tried out Monster Fracas recently when I noticed this game in YMM's sig.  Anyway, lots of fun, but as mentioned, one-song-same-backgrounds (though a nice little day/night cycle).  This looks really really awesome guys!  Please release it before the holidays are over, because I'd like to actually play it for more than an hour here and there (my life is so busy with projects that I have so little time for gaming; that aspect of architecture school really sucks, and from what I've heard some schools are even more intense than mine).

Oh, and YMM, I'm totally loving An Untitled Story in the bits of spare time that I'm playing it in; really great game!  Beer!

(I'll have to throw some cash your way at some point!)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 10:00:45 PM »

Oh, and YMM, I'm totally loving An Untitled Story in the bits of spare time that I'm playing it in; really great game!  Beer!

It has some sort of great feeling for locations, and the music is always on the edge of making you insane Evil You should really get to the end of it, final climb was... well, epic.

I hope some of the the feeling for environments will be seen in this game too. Seems like it on the screenshots. Wondering... will the camera be scrolling or will you play through separate screens?
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »

So much love in this thread. It makes a man feel warm and fuzzy. Can't believe RunMan still has fans, and we will do our best not to disappoint.

Nice, looks like Speedrun: The Game.

If it were a book, it'd be called "Everybody Can Speed Run!". We're trying to encourage everyone to be recklessly fast.

I hope some of the the feeling for environments will be seen in this game too. Seems like it on the screenshots. Wondering... will the camera be scrolling or will you play through separate screens?

Since most of the programming got finished, I've been throwing myself at artwork for levels and maps, and I think it's turning out pretty good. We're striving to make each level/zone look and feel unique while maintaining a consistent style. So yeah, a sense of "environment" is definitely important to us.

Though, to be honest, there's not that much opportunity to sit around and soak up atmosphere in this game.

As for your question about the camera, it does indeed scroll. Did you watch the trailer?

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »

As for your question about the camera, it does indeed scroll. Did you watch the trailer?
Haha, that's totally what I was thinking.  And I'm sure the atmosphere will come out great!  Having YMM on board should help with that too, as I think An Untitled Story had great atmosphere, and it's graphical style is very comparable to RunMan's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic