Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:38:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWriter turned Programmer. Or something.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writer turned Programmer. Or something.  (Read 1451 times)
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »

I'm not sure if I started writing first, or programming, but stories have always come naturally to me. I'd start with an idea, and then I'd zone out, and then I'd be done. And I think I enjoy code for the opposite reason: It always requires my attention, and when I get flowing with it, everything clicks. But I'm always there, and I never get lost in it the same way. I guess it's the difference between artistic and logical creation.

Anyway, I am a writer and a programmer. But recently, I've only been working on procedural games- Nothing with stories, really. But I got realizing that writing a story is pretty different from writing the plot and progression for a game. So for any writers that have made the switch before: What should I be careful of? What major differences should I know about?

If you want a reference to my writing style, I wrote this not too long ago. A friend of mine does comics, so I threw this together to see what he would think. That fell apart, though, but the story remains: http://eddieandrews.blogspot.com/2014/01/dont-think-too-hard.html

Check out my devlog!
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »

Interesting story!

I am one such. Actually actor/playwright turned programmer.

In my case, the transition between plays and games isn't so huge. The key is action. As an actor, the story is always told through what you're doing, not what you're saying. Dialogue is a means to an end, and it's not even always there.

I'm not super-experienced by any means, but I think a solid rule to hold by is "less is more." Careful word choice is paramount in games, because the less reading they have to do the better (in most cases).

I've been experimenting with how to combine writing and gaming. The possibilities are endless! Here's something I've been cooking up:

WordPlay

What kind of game are you interested in writing?

EDIT: Added the link. Herp!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:34:58 PM by mysteriosum » Logged

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »

Hmm... Your link is just opening a blank tab for me...

For now, though, I'd like to start incorporating stories pretty heavily into platformers, maybe some classic RPGs (That decision is likely influenced by 'To The Moon'), or maybe some more abstract genres down the road.

The current story-driven idea is of a zelda-esque game about a common robber, getting killed. As the player, you'll relive his past and come to terms with all the horrible things he's done, as it's revealed that everything he did was for his family's survival/other respectable cause. With each instance though, he'll have to kill himself to erase his sins, and it'll end with his suicide (In this 'reliving his life' flashback).

So it'll be very visual in nature, which will make things easy. My main concern is the pacing, though.

Check out my devlog!
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »

Pacing in a video game is paramount - but it comes largely from the level design. For that, I would look at some levels you really love and time yourself - take note of how far apart the really exciting/hard bits are, and how long you get to rest or when you get puzzles vs action sequences.

Pacing the written component is much harder, since the player gets to dictate the actual pace. The model I prefer is that of Bioshock - lots of little titbits of story that contribute to a larger one. Nothing that the player -has- to read (except for during cut scenes or scripted events), just a lot of optional content rewarding the player for interacting with objects.

In the end, it's up to you! Experiment with stuff and see what works. Smiley

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »

tl;dr Write around the mechanics. Let them be your voice. What stories can you tell with them? Not what stories would you like to tell. This is the difference.

I'm not so sure I understand what your question is, but going from your title I am going to assume you are concerned with the differences between "narrative creation" in a game vs a written work, like a book. I will focus on the technology element - the programming.

I was a programmer first. I won't call myself a writer, but I've taken a keen interest in studying screenplay writing and film direction. I've studied it enough to make some comparisons, especially some suited for those who are very creative but don't understand software that well, so that I can communicate with them and rely on them.

The biggest mistake creative types make is the one you imply with saying programming doesn't create a flow state for you. Programming is not a malleable expressive medium the way writing is. When you write your currency is the idea. Have 20 ideas, take the best 5, and write them.

Programming does not work this way. In programming you want to have 1 idea, and nail it, then have every other idea stand on top of that idea in some substantial way. Programming is about idea re-use, not idea extravaganza. Each new idea has an extreme cost.

In simpler terms, for game creation, I recommend finding a mechanic - some technology implementation - that suits your story ideas, then try to "juice it:" find as many ideas that can take advantage of that technology. You want to maximize the number of story ideas you can get out of each implementation of technology. That's the key.

A stern example of a game that does not understand this lesson, is one that has many narrative ideas, and has a new mechanic/software-solution for each one.

If you disobey this idea you will find technology to sluggishly prevent narrative creation. If you obey it you will find it liberating. This is true for all software.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:01:45 PM by Graham. » Logged
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

Thank you very much for your advice, Graham. It really confirms what I've pieced together so far. I've been playing around with mechanics lately, just to see what I can make, since games should be about the gameplay (The results of which I've posted here). But I've started realizing that my forte is still the story, and I should focus on bringing that into games more.

The biggest mistake you mentioned is something I've been guilty of, but only in concept, and only when I would get carried away. By saying that programming doesn't create that same flow state for me, I only meant that it is a very different state than that of writing, and I think I prefer the flow of creativity moreso than the flow of analytical thinking (Although, right now, I'm working on a tile-based rendering system in flash that just feels amazing to code).

You have given me some awesome advice, though. We'll see how this next project pans out for me. Thanks!

Check out my devlog!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic