Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:10:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingdefez 4: Das Kapital
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: defez 4: Das Kapital  (Read 5807 times)
increpare
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

This is going to be my spring-cleaning week.  Going to try get a release a day out of the way.

First up, the fourth study in the defez series on 1/2D variations of the crush/fez/squish mechanic (1 2 3 here)

Controls
up/down/left/right

Windows (283KB)
OSX 10.5 (474KB)
Source (44KB)

(having just played this one now, after a break of about a month or two, I can't say I like it too much but, in the name of getting it out of the way and generally pushing on (the point of calling them 'studies' I guess), I'm putting it up here).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:50:49 AM by increpare » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »

Hmm, it seems to be less intuitive than the rest, perhaps? I can't say I can put my finger on exactly how this one works. Still interesting stuff.

What's with the name, eh? Marx?

increpare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »

Hmm, it seems to be less intuitive than the rest, perhaps?
if properly implemented, it would be moreso, actually.

I can't say I can put my finger on exactly how this one works.
Basically, if you press down, then it squishes from front to back; grey tiles that are in front of green tiles block them, but green tiles in front of grey tiles will replace them.  When you unsquish, you get brought to the lowestmost green square.  Same for other directions. It's sort of like a rotation, with only the frontmost square counting, I think, and if I had an animation that illustrated that when you pressed the squish button, then everything would suddenly become clear...

(and yeah, it has the same laggy control setup as before).

What's with the name, eh?
I've had marx on my mind recently, to be sure, but it's essentially a codename with no relationship to the prototype itself...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

I think, and if I had an animation that illustrated that when you pressed the squish button, then everything would suddenly become clear...

Yeah, actually, it does sound that way. Much like Squish, right?

And yeah! Screw those controls! Grrr...

:p

Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »

ah!  spoilers!

I didn't find it less clear than the other ones, although that's after having played the other ones which I'm sure had some effect.  Once understood, this one is pretty easy to 'read' and see solutions, so doesn't seem to lead as interesting levels ...

Also, the impossible level didn't even have a goal, this time!
increpare
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:37:14 AM »

Also, the impossible level didn't even have a goal, this time!
Yeah, I sort of forgot to SPOILER this one, sorry Sad  To make up for it, I'll put 2 in defez 5  Smiley

this one is pretty easy to 'read' and see solutions
I wonder if that's not something that might not count in its favour in some contexts.  For instance, if I wanted to make it more of an action game/add more non-crush related mechanics without having to fear too much that I was screwing things up.  Hmm: we idly wonder what a lemmings-like game might be like, or a worms/2drts game?

Quote from: agj
Yeah, actually, it does sound that way. Much like Squish, right?
Actually closer to crush/fez, but yeah.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 06:42:12 PM »

You should try doing a 3-Dimensional defez next time. Have one button display the X-axis, one button display the Y-axis, and one show the Z-axis. Then you could have different controls for movement through each axis. Players would have to plot out a cube using only the first and second dimensions. I think it could be pretty cool.
increpare
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:40:28 AM »

You should try doing a 3-Dimensional defez next time. Have one button display the X-axis, one button display the Y-axis, and one show the Z-axis. Then you could have different controls for movement through each axis. Players would have to plot out a cube using only the first and second dimensions. I think it could be pretty cool.
It doesn't quite fit within the bounds of my investigation, but I'll add it to my list anyway...(I have four or five others to do already). Might be quicker for you to do yourself, but I'll get 'round to it eventually if you don't...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic