Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:57:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCosmochoria (Mac/PC/Linux?)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cosmochoria (Mac/PC/Linux?)  (Read 4577 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 08:11:36 AM »

Ah, I've heard a lot about Construct, but I've never actually seen what it looks like.

30/30
Level 0

Kickstarting Cosmochoria!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »

In retrospect, i sort of wish i had begun building the game in unity. Ive hit a couple walls that i have been able to overcome, but I always feel like im treading on a fine line to keep things optimized & running the way I want. Part of that has been me learning though. The event building is amazing - ive found it really easy to get into and the community can be very helpful if you get stuck and ask politely. Smiley

In general, i chose Construct2 because of my familiarity with it, but also because (Sprout) was originally going to be a fairly simple game. It has grown way past my original intentions, but even by the time I had developed the initial mechanics, etc i felt like i was in too deep to turn back. At this point - 3 months worth of work down the drain if i decided to switch to Unity, which i have never even used.

All that said, I'm happy with Construct 2 and wouldnt be pressing on if i wasnt confident that it can deliver the final game. It's not overly complicated to the point where it's something Construct 2 cant handle, since its all just 2D sprite action. It runs 60 FPS easily, and exports to standalone Mac, Win, Linux with a nodewebkit wrapper, supports audio, advanced audio, gamepad support, exports to IOS nicely, etc. If i was going to do anything more 'story based' or anything much more complicated i probably wouldnt use it.

KICKSTART COSMOCHORIA!!!: Old-school arcade game about hopping between planets, killing aliens & planting seeds for high scores.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »

Oh, dear. Definitely don't change your tools now, no. You're well under way, and it seems to be running just fine.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »

I've officially announced the new name for the game as well as launched the new steam greenlight page. I'd love your feedback if you guys get a chance to check it out.

Hugs.

New Greenlight page at:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=219694672
New Trailer at:

KICKSTART COSMOCHORIA!!!: Old-school arcade game about hopping between planets, killing aliens & planting seeds for high scores.
30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »

Spent the day getting a preview build ready! Including updated sound effects, and positional audio. It truly is a pleasure to work with audio in Construct 2, but I have some minor hesitations that I'll need to be converting the audio engine from the advanced web audio to something else. It's all so new to me though so I have no idea. I just played a 1 hour session of the game and everything seems to be working relatively nicely so that's a huge boost to the confidence.

The idea so far has been to get a build ready that I can use to start approaching youtubers etc to see if they'd be interested in trying it out and helping me spread the word of the greenlight campaign. I think I have that build - been testing it all weekend and there are only a few small audio bugs, but gameplay itself is flawless as far as I can tell. really looking forward to hearing what people think!

fuck am i tired.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

Another day spent getting the press kit looking perfect and sent some emails out to dudes and girls ive been following for a while to see if they'd check the game out. We'll see what happens, but already got a great writeup from James @ HardcoreGamer - http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/26/cosmochoria-plants-itself-in-steams-greenlight-galaxy/71609/

Tomorrow I'll be getting back into the actual development again with an emphasis on developing my artifact system. Basically collectible items that spawn randomly around the galaxy that a player can pick up whilst playing the game. Bring the artifacts back to the old hermit and...?

Still trying to decide if 'holding' an artifact should basically limit you from shooting, etc... im thinking not, but im thinking it will limit you from planting, IE you will need to push S to pick up an artifact.. while holding it, if you push S again you will drop it.. Have to make sure you're not able to drop it while in space or it could float into oblivion i guess. Ok so basically it means i just need to prioritize picking up an artifact over all other operations otherwise you could get stuck with the artifact appearing over a plant or a base that still needs to be completed..

Man this is gonna be fun :D

Don't sweat the technique.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »

So much for getting back to development. Spent a bunch of time fixing some bugs that appeared from some of the peeps i've been sending copies to. Once i had the bugs fixed, I wrote up a press release shouting out the trailer and the greenlight campaign and started sending to some of the more major channels... hopefully it results in some awareness even if it's just landing on someones desk and catching their eye for 10 seconds, hopefully the name will stick for the next time they see something.. right? right? i can dream.

Basically have the next 6 months worth of strategy mapped out not only for the development but also for management type stuff like promo, network building, etc. Im actually starting to feel like the plans are coagulating, which is a good feeling - the relaunched greenlight campaign is just short of 40% of the way to the top 100 and its only been 7 days. It's slowed down quite a bit the past few days since it's been pushed off the main listing page, but im hoping these press releases will at least help it from flatlining completely.

So says every indie developer trying to get their game noticed ever.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

Been working hard on the collectible artifacts and its going well. In the meantime, i thought id post an email discussion i had with a great dude helping me test the game a bit. he came up with some great points about the gameplay and i thought it would be informative to post here..

1)  After going to the trouble of bringing color back to a planet, having it turn grey again when it's out of health is disappointing, especially when you can't plant sprouts fast enough to make up for the health lost planting them.  Once past the 5th planet, if you use all the health that planet is going to look dead again.

This is a great point. Ive felt that having the planet ‘die’ again is kind of weird philosophically too. Maybe if the planet doesnt but the heart in the middle does. Or i can find some other way to graphically represent it. Thank you for bringing this up.

2)  Lots and lots of seeds, once you get moving.  On the first planet they're a resource to use carefully, and after that you've got tons.

I am toying with this too. A couple options include using the seeds as ammo for a super weapon later in the game, or simply converting them to coins on game over, so they do have value for harvesting as well… Basically incentivize planting other than just for more planting..

3)  Really don't like enemies who shoot at me before I can see them.  The audio cues are fine, giving plenty of warning, but it's not fun when they can shoot at me but I can only throw fire in the approximate direction.

This is 100% fair game. I’ll look at their range, and I think the enemy AI may very well be one of the biggest ‘in progress’ areas i have to work on, being new to games in general. Once the game itself is complete i expect to spend another lifetime working on this making sure i maximize the enjoyment..

And a couple final observations.  Feel free to tell me why these suck. Smiley

1)  Not sure what you've got planned for flying saucer behavior, but I'm mentally picturing them aligning to the planet rather than the player, maybe circling it just below the edge of its atmosphere while shooting and dropping aliens.

Genius, this is a really good idea - I will play with it. I plan on having 2 different types of UFO as well, so I think one that chases you with lasers but is a little slower, and one that focuses entirely on circling / dropping sentries, it will be a nice flavour difference. Thank you!

2)  Maybe there's a way to tie seeds and planet color together, giving the player a reason not to just scoop up every seed he sees while giving a boost to the gardening aspect of the game somehow?

I thought about this too - having specific plants belong to specific planets… i think what i wanted to get away from though is having the planting be an in depth process. I keep making sure to compare it to the simplicity of a game like pacman, donkey kong, asteroids.. the further i get away from it, the easier it is to fall short as basically then im stepping into a new comparison bracket where games that offer similar choices become more fun.

Its a weird line im walking on i guess and I want to make sure its fun, but i also have to keep checking myself to make sure im keeping it as simple and straightforward as possible, though again, making sure im not sacrificing the fun.. but not overcomplicating it.. but not making it boring, but not … haha.

I guess it boils down to when you crouch down, i just dont want there to be too many options confusing people.. though maybe i need to think about once you get the hang of those initial options… maybe you can use seeds some other way to upgrade what’s there.. maybe seeds are ammo for the laser towers and you gotta feed it seeds to keep it shooting for you… then all of a sudden they become a finite resource worth cherishing. .. though maybe that makes the turrets less useful.. maybe they shoot 20 bullets and ‘refilling’ them with a seed reloads their 20 shots. now there is a strategy to maintaining the turrets so you cant just plant them and let them fight for you, but you have to make sure they can actually fight..

3)  Can the red dragon be beaten?  I've got level 2 health and gun and he keeps trashing me easily.  Maybe I need level 3 and a couple more pyramids.

Definitely, I was able to rock the red dragon and the next 2 bosses after it in a game the other day. Laser turrets help huge, also choosing to fight him on a big planet so you can use his ‘bite and run’ attack to your advantage and hit him while he runs. Always choose to fight on a big planet, it gives you a much better mobility for dodging since the platform behaviour is so much more responsive - though I am adding some upgrades to the jetpack so the higher levels also give you better response as well, so you become more mobile in space too… i havent tried it vs. bosses yet, but it feels a LOT snappier and less ‘at the whims’ of vacuum space…. I think it becomes a much more rewarding upgrade than simply the amount of fuel you get.

Also working on an update where the gun upgrades are actually 3 separate styles of gun, and your gun upgrades while you play by enemy drops, similar to a 1942 style gun upgrade.. so like level 1 / 2 / 3 can be achievable simply by playing longer and finding the random drops.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

Wow, damn. So many updates on the go after receiving some really good professional advice. Fixed quite a few bugs that have come up from the awesome testers who have been checking the game out.

The core work has been to solve an overwhelmingly loud feedback regarding the confusion brought on in the first exposure to the game. Initially i really wanted the experience to have a deep sense of discovery, and though i feel its still there to a degree, i had to make some compromises and design issues that overcame some of the points of confusion to first-time players... Simply put, people aren't gonna play a game that doesnt at least seem to make sense right off the bat.

One of the biggest things ive been working on is that I've finally designed a proper HUD UI, which really adds to the experience and feel of the game. I was using the shitty little top corner graphics for too long, so to now have a proper HUD its looking really nice. I decided to place it along the bottom since most of the fighting in cosmochoria takes place above you. Because the camera pans to keep you 'always up' there's never really a situation where you are actually looking for things on the bottom of the screen, so it seemed like the perfect place to put everything in a neat and tidy little bar. This also opens up the space above you for better alien spotting, etc.

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:47 AM »

Well pals, here is build 82... probably the biggest notable upgrade in a while.. it fixed a LOT of bugs... hopefully it didnt introduce too many more. There are a bunch of new features, i don't even know where to begin, i honestly just stopped keeping track. Tongue

The biggest gameplay difference you will notice is that there are more than one weapon. Im still tweaking the other weapons (shotgun & laser (sniper) rifle) so they are currently disabled. So right now, you can only access the first gun upgrade. Once you get the first gun upgrade, you will be able to collect "Powerups" in the game by killing 'shiny' ufos.. basically flashing ufos that drop red balls (proper graphic to come). Collecting the Power-Ups will upgrade your gun in-game, so technically you can get level 1-4 of the main gun while playing a single session.

There's also a red 'test' tower that can be built with 10 seeds... you must have 11 seeds for it to be available (since you'd need 1 seed to continue planting). Right now it just does the same thing as the pyramid, but im toying with ideas for what this special tower can do... something that really leverages having lots of seeds in the later stages of the game.

There are "artifacts" but i still dont have the art done for them. They also dont currently do anything yet... that's coming soon.

Let me know what you think - if you come across any bugs, etc etc. Any help you can give is hugely appreciated!

Overall, I hope you have fun! Please let me know if you dont, and try to think of why, especially by comparing to past versions... Im really hoping things are improving, not regressing. Smiley

Without further ado:

Build 082
Windows: http://www.cosmochoria.com/presskit/cosmochoria-win.zip
Mac: http://www.cosmochoria.com/presskit/cosmochoria-mac.zip
Linux: http://www.cosmochoria.com/presskit/cosmochoria-linux.zip

Web Version: http://www.cosmochoria.com/builds/082

im so nervous... hope it all functions properly for you...

30/30
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:16 AM »

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that there's a new demo build:

Windows: http://www.cosmochoria.com/builds/cosmochoria-win.zip
Mac: http://www.cosmochoria.com/builds/cosmochoria-mac.zip
Linux 32bit: http://www.cosmochoria.com/builds/cosmochoria-linux32.zip
Linux 64bit: http://www.cosmochoria.com/builds/cosmochoria-linux64.zip

The new build has some new features:

• Hold S while floating in space to slow your trajectory. Just like in real life space!
  • Asteroids Explode when they hit the planets surface.
  • Diamonds hidden in asteroids are a little more common, not much though. Wink
  • Weapon powerups are a little more common (once you have that Level 1 Gun)
  • Flying FAST through space will cause you to destroy anything you run into (not planets tho).
  • Jetpack gets you off a planet easier without jumping first.
  • Bosses don't get 'stuck'.
  • New planets, including the 'LOLCube' (More non-round planets to come!)
  • Updated cursor designs (may be a little buggy still though).
  • Bug and performance fixes.

This is probably the last or second last 'publicly available' build. Once the kickstarter ends, it'll be private builds for all new functionality for KS backers only. Once the functionality has all been implemented, it will move to a public early access program on Steam for the couple of months leading up to the official launch.

Respect.
Nate

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

Cool, didn't Cosmochoria had a devlog here!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic