Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:58:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Arms of Telos - Spidermechs, zero gravity, grapple hooks (video)  (Read 13452 times)
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »

http://playtelos.com

Dev Video 001:

First priority was to get the core movement system down.  Moving around the level, even if there's nothing else going on, should be fun in itself.  I also wanted to explore zero g movement.  In general, I want to embody the skill-based movement systems like skiing in Tribes, bunny hopping and rocket jumping in Quake, surfing in CS, etc -- but I don't want it to feel like an exploit.  

You play as a large but agile quadruped mecha.  I've implemented some basic IK for the leg movement but I'll be improving that over time.  

The art style will evolve over the course of development, but I’m pairing stylized low poly art with high quality baked lighting to give what I think is a nice vibrant look.

Next steps will be to implement basic netcode and then get some weapons into the game.

If you want to follow me elsewhere:
Tumblr
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
IndieDB
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:05:41 AM by Justin Pierce » Logged

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »

Grapple trick gif from video

jiitype
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »

Just checked out the video, the movement looks fantastic! Can't wait to see more Gentleman
Indie4Fun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »

As an old school player, I like the Idea.

The bungee video looks nice. Do you plan to do the game for hardcore-gamers? I mean, with a hard learning curve? Or just trying to make these skill-based movements easier.

Good luck!

Kickstarting Izzy's Revenge right now!!

AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »

I love the low-poly art style, I shared it on /r/low_poly!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »

Oh, this is gorgeous. Following on Twitter and Tumblr! I really need to set that IndieDB account up now...

I especially like that purple screenshot at the bottom of the OP. I'm not really an FPS player, so the idea of trying to rethink it and improve upon the concept is definitely interesting to me, to see if it can change my mind. Very pretty, either way.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »

I love the low-poly art style, I shared it on /r/low_poly!

Thanks!

As an old school player, I like the Idea.

The bungee video looks nice. Do you plan to do the game for hardcore-gamers? I mean, with a hard learning curve? Or just trying to make these skill-based movements easier.

Good luck!

With that particular question, a little of both.  I grew up playing games like Tribes and CS and I want to tune it for the possibility of esports (like LoL/Dota2 are doing), but I want the game to have plenty of fresh/fun ideas so that it's attractive to anybody looking for an interesting competitive game.  I do want the skill based movements to be easier than the exploits in some games, but still have a high skill ceiling -- so ideally not too hard for it to be fun and rewarding, but still have plenty to get better at.  In general, balancing skill ceiling with early learning curve will probably be a universal design challenge throughout development.  

Oh, this is gorgeous. Following on Twitter and Tumblr! I really need to set that IndieDB account up now...

I especially like that purple screenshot at the bottom of the OP. I'm not really an FPS player, so the idea of trying to rethink it and improve upon the concept is definitely interesting to me, to see if it can change my mind. Very pretty, either way.

Thanks!  

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

Development Video 002 is up!

Telos is a competitive multiplayer game and now multiple players can actually connect to each other. It would have been much quicker to go with Unity’s networking or some other middleware, but I didn’t want to commit to a third party solution that could potentially cause issues down the road.

I’ve written a custom networking layer loosely inspired by Quake 3’s snapshot system. This is very much a first pass at Telos’ networking and it’s far from finished, but this’ll make it much easier to tweak things later without having to make many changes to the rest of the game code.

While March will be busy with GDC, development updates should be more frequent moving forward. For the next video update, the plan is to get the first weapon implemented. It’ll be a relatively conventional bread and butter weapon to get things started, but things should get more exciting after that!

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:15 AM »

This looks like a super interesting take on competitive FPS games, and the art style is really nice. Following!

locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:45:08 AM »

I must admit, I was initially skeptical about the description of the game... But then I saw the video and... HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS FUN!

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »

This looks like a super interesting take on competitive FPS games, and the art style is really nice. Following!

Thanks!

I must admit, I was initially skeptical about the description of the game... But then I saw the video and... HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS FUN!

Thanks!  I think a lot of people on this forum are turned off by the description.  Changed description in thread title, put video higher in post..  let's see if more people check it out Well, hello there!

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »

From #ScreenshotSaturday: Back from GDC, finally starting to work on the first weapon! To start things off, we need a nice bread and butter weapon, but who says that has to be boring? Still WIP, but here's some gifs showing how it works:

First off, there's a semi-auto mode for longer ranges. You can tap a key to transform it into...

Full auto with a tiny bit of spread. You'll notice that red thing rises as you shoot. Let it rise too high and you'll transform into..

Overload mode. You'll want to avoid this by bursting if you need precision, but if you're close to your target you can let it rip.

One more gif going through all the transformations. Though this is a little misleading because you can only go from orange to red by firing the weapon (I captured it going from red to orange to yellow and then reversed it for a nice loop).

After I get the audio implemented and tweak the art some more I'll create another development video for my youtube channel and explain it more in depth.

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 05:28:20 AM »

Loving those colors!!!!! And those weapon transformations! I literaly open every social link you posted and will follow this everywhere. Inspirational!

On STEAM »
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:57:36 AM »

Dev Video 001:

movement demo looks fantastic. seems to be a theme this year, low poly games with awesome movement and animation feel

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »

Reminds me of a low poly Halo Spiderman.

It's great because I love low poly!  Smiley

Toast LeftWizardHand Metal Left
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »

This looks really interesting, following.

JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »

The first weapon has been done for a while but the video showing it off has been delayed, but for good reason -- got hooked up with a nice game server! This server will help with testing and I've spent some time getting the game ready for the first private playtest (unfortunately most of it is behind the scenes code, so not much to show off visually). Here's a new screenshot anyway.

Hope to have video from the playtest up for next week Smiley

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »

Looks cool, Ghost in the shell will be proud with the spider mech's

Trev
Level 0

"beeeep" - a synth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »

This movement system looks absolutely amazing. I haven't even gotten my hands on it and it looks like i'll rival Spiderman 2, Infamous: Festival of Blood, and Bioshock Infinite in terms of how fun just getting around will be. Love the art style too! Would trade tunes for alpha access!

These web letters will take your internet hole to my ear-paintings!! http://www.trevorblackmusic.com/
JP (@JTown_)
Level 0

@JTown_

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »

Third video is done -- will put it up tomorrow after I write the blog post for it. Here's a teaser webm: http://gfycat.com/AgitatedClearAmericancrayfish (TIGSource needs to allow embedding webms!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic