Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:13:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback  (Read 3105 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:52:06 AM »

It's still a work in progress, but this is a mock up of what game play would look like in the beat 'em up game I'm working on, for now titled Superhero Beats (name probably will change later on). I digitally colored almost all the characters, some are still scans from drawings. The setting is a sort of alternate semi-futuristic earth (think Dragon Ball Z or Samurai Jack if Aku didn't screw things up).

I was hoping to get some feedback on what you all think of the design and art style so far. Remember this is still a work in progress, so it's not 100% done but is almost there. Thanks again!

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »

Very professional! I love the character design and background. :D

My only suggestion is to add text to the players' stats. I see the green, blue, and red bars and I have no idea that they represent. (I'm guessing the red one is health in stereotype.) Also, showing the name of the player on the player's avatar would be a nice touch too. The screen looks a bit naked without text, unless that is what style you are trying to go for. If not text, try placing symbols to the stat bars.

Good work so far!

~JProgman ~ I Made Mosaic Mingle ~ My Web Portfolio ~ @jprogman ~
Bob_the_Hamster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »

The style looks great! It has a bit of a Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe that I really like.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »

bob the hamster, are you related to bob the hamster from wandering hamster?

http://hamsterrepublic.com/

Enchantainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »

I think it looks really nice and clean, I like it! I'd love to be able to give some better feedback, but I'm not the best person to give advice on art, as I'm no artist  Cheesy
abigpotostew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »

Looks really clean and good. Have you considered markers above each character's head to help players distinguish their character easily? Also, I'm not sure what your plans are for character animations (skeletal spline or drawn frames) but make sure you factor that into your character design. Looks cool though.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »

While the art is polished and well done I have some critiques.

- the overall color theme strikes me as very 'pastel' meaning soft and under saturated. This color theming does not(to my eye) work to your characters benefit.

- the health/energy bars suffer from the same color issues

- I did not realize from the characters and poses this was a beat em'Up at first. I actually thought the blonde guy was dancing for a second until I saw the strong guy doing the suplex slam or whatever move he's supposed to be doing.

I had to think about it for a while why that was because that feedback would be very important but I can't nail it down exactly.

Some other random ideas I had that might contribute are:
-about half the characters (starting with the blonde guy) don't strike me as fighter characters because the look like highschool kids in sweatpants etc?

- the backwards bent strong guy is your best fighter looking human

- the scene looks like you have melee based humans (mostly) against gun toting robots... I haven't played it so maybe you have a plausible reason for it.. But wouldn't the robots just kill everyone from afar with guns?

Aka give me a visual reason (power shield bubbles etc) to believe sweatpants wearing kids can resist bullets!

Good luck with your project

Infernohawke Entertainment
Matt Rohr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »

The colors need adjustment, but you at least have a concept image to work off of as a baseline.

What does the game play like?
You said it was a beat 'em up so are you taking a standard approach to it?

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »

Thank you all for your comments and critiques so far, I truly appreciate it.

What does the game play like?
You said it was a beat 'em up so are you taking a standard approach to it?

The idea is you choose four characters out of a roster of 10 to potentially 14. There are things being worked out with how control of the characters would work, but ideally you will be able to control all of the characters you chose in single player mode.

The combat is still being worked on, though there would be the familiar combat like in most beat 'em ups, but ideally the combat would be somewhat faster than most in that there will be no walking. There is still testing that needs to be done, but being able to run up to an enemy without having to double tap to dash has the potential to keep the over all combat moving and feel alive.

Additionally there is work to be done on making the eventual roster of enemies diverse so that you don't feel like you're getting matched up with the same thug or robot over and over again. The setting for this game is not limited to just the street or city you see in the back ground. As a design choice, it was decided that being able to go to different locations as means to change the scenery also offered a chance to play with different themes. Playing to Bob_the_Hamsters comment, I did take a lot of inspiration from cartoons and anime when coming up with this idea. Shows like Dragon Ball or even Mighty Max never really stay in the same place, but explore and travel all around from city to jungle, and even outer space.

Some other random ideas I had that might contribute are:
-about half the characters (starting with the blonde guy) don't strike me as fighter characters because the look like highschool kids in sweatpants etc?

- the scene looks like you have melee based humans (mostly) against gun toting robots... I haven't played it so maybe you have a plausible reason for it.. But wouldn't the robots just kill everyone from afar with guns?

Aka give me a visual reason (power shield bubbles etc) to believe sweatpants wearing kids can resist bullets!
So in terms of teenagers getting matched up against lasers, ever character is stronger than the average human, plus I wasn't going for realism. This however doesn't mean redesigning characters looks is out of the question, though it was a choice to keep the roster diversified so it wasn't just a bunch of bulky guys running around punching stuff. Think how in X-men or Naruto that characters don't need to have the "tough guy" look to demonstrate they're strong. How on Earth would someone like Scott Pilgrim have the power to take on thugs, robots, and love issues  Tongue

My only suggestion is to add text to the players' stats. I see the green, blue, and red bars and I have no idea that they represent. (I'm guessing the red one is health in stereotype.) Also, showing the name of the player on the player's avatar would be a nice touch too. The screen looks a bit naked without text, unless that is what style you are trying to go for. If not text, try placing symbols to the stat bars.
The green is for health, the pink is for XP, and the blue is for ability/special. I may try to make this more evident with some modifications like making the health bar go from green to yellow to red, and with the XP bar maybe have "XP" indicated in the bar. Though I completely agree with the names over the characters stats bar. I'm not too found of having it over the actual character because when playing castle crashers, it added a little too much extra visual noise for my taste.

Now, to everyone mentioning color, is the issue that it looks too bright or too soft? Just looking to clarify. My personal preference is to keep it colorful, though I don't think this is what the issue is that everyone is bringing up.

Again, thank you everyone for your input. It really helps!

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Enchantainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:47:12 AM »

I guess something that I would personally change would be to add some more colour. There is a lot of light colour in there. More specifically there's a lot of white/light grey. I guess that's what gives it the "clean" look I referred to.

That's just me though, I'm sure others can give you some much better advice on colour palettes Wink
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

As a quick update on this, the game is currently going to be put on hold since the departure of the programmers and I've started work on another game.

This, however, does not mean I'm scrapping the game and giving up. I still plan to redesign a good portion of the character roster and try to flesh out at least a good +70% of the games overall visual design plus story before looking to add new programmers to the project. Lastly, the working title of the game will from now on be The Ultimate Showdown after having probably one of the best cups of caramel hot chocolate I've had in a long time. I'll try to post more updates in the coming months as things progress. Thank you all for your input so far.

EasterlyArt Facebook
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »

All future updates will be noted in the collaboration thread for The Ultimate Showdown until further notice.

EasterlyArt Facebook
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »

I'd just say that the foreground (characters) don't stick out from the background as much as I'd like. But that's probably a matter of taste.
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »

I'd just say that the foreground (characters) don't stick out from the background as much as I'd like. But that's probably a matter of taste.

Still worth keeping note of. Thanks for the input.

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic