Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 10:31:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWARBITS - Classic Turn-Based Strategy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: WARBITS - Classic Turn-Based Strategy  (Read 69282 times)
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »

Added some unit profile pages and a few more game mechanics. I'm sure it is full of typos and misspellings.

WarbitsManual.pdf (2Mb)

The unit descriptions are just functional right now, I want to go back and make it more light hearted when I have some time.
I'll probably make the title cards more interesting too. Little blurb and a spot illustration or something. I'm having a lot of fun basically remaking the game in this style.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:56:38 PM by Reilly » Logged

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

How to approach the AI has been a constant internal debate for me. This is my first experience trying to develop AI so it's been a challenge, a mix of frustrating and rewarding development moments. It's interesting because it's easy enough to think through the data and logic required to gather a general sense of intelligence, but how to organize and execute it in practice has been the real chore.

Knowing how smart to make it in some areas has been important. It's tempting to go overboard calculating every possible scenario, but sometimes a heuristic approach works well enough.

In general I'd say I'm taking the GOAP approach (goal oriented action planning). I have different modules that handle various phases of decisions in each turn. All goals are weighed and the highest rated goal executed. Every time a goal is executed the module calculates the best goal again, since it can often change as a result of the precious execution. Ex: A units health is brought down to a killable threshold for another unit.

I'm happy to talk more if you have any other questions.

Wow, thanks Vanhail I'd love to pick your brain. I read through the F.E.A.R doc on GOAP and I'm interested in how you adopted it to a TBS. From my reading the major benefit of GOAP for an FPS is emergent behavior towards a known goal. For a FPS the goal major goal is a simple "kill the player" while picking the goal is the difficult part of a TBS, so how did you adopt finding the goals?

From your description my understanding is you use a heuristic to cull the goals, then find the best unit to carry out the action? Would goals be things like "Kill unit 4", "Capture city 2"? How complex can the goals become, would there be a "Form blockade at chockpoint" goal?" Are the weightings static?

Thank you for mentioning GOAP, I hadn't considered working from the result-we-want to the moves-attacks-capturing. All the time my mind had been on running through the units and finding the best moves&attacks weighted by the result.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »

lol

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »

Oh my word, it took me a second there. Big Laff
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »

Still plugging away at the operations manual.
Added Terrain and Structure profiles to the guide as well as some other random gameplay mechanics.

WarbitsManual.pdf

Also been working on cleaning up some of the UI.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »

oops nvm
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:29:56 PM by Reilly » Logged

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

Making fun challenging campaign maps can be quite difficult!

Trying to cook up a bunch for a new batch of Alpha testers.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

Hand Any Key Lips Sealed
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2014, 09:38:02 AM »

Hey, there! We're still alive. Busy mostly on boring behind the scenes stuff.

Here's a mockup I cooked up of Wall blocks (cubes), Power Cores (outlined in white), and Reactors (large cylinder).

Hopefully we can show what all this adds up to in the near future.

Also here's a mockup of the Multiplayer Intel screen.
The star shows who's turn it is.

Swiping to the left will show some more detailed stats about the game.

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »

Love me some advanced wars. Looking forward to this.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
JustRadek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »

Nicely polished visuals. The game screen doesn't feel cluttered, but I still appreciate the icon-based minimap.

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »

Still plugging away at the operations manual.
Added Terrain and Structure profiles to the guide as well as some other random gameplay mechanics.

You wrote "factory" again in the Airport description.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2014, 11:09:43 AM »

Thanks guys!

@James Hah, good catch! Lots of stuff I need to update/add in the guide.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »

Redid the wall blocks because they were old and bothering me.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »

Ooh, interesting. But are you going to connect those wall blocks at some point? They look sort of strange just sitting out in distinct blocks.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »

Looks much better!
But I think the saturation of the purple clashes too much with the rest of the color palette.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »

Looks much better!
But I think the saturation of the purple clashes too much with the rest of the color palette.

I thought this earlier but thought probably work in progress so won't say anything, but with the updated block, the purple still looks really bright compared to the slightly desaturated feel of the main game....

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@photon- I really want a wall system that is modular and doesn't require a million different versions for bends and turns so... probably not.
They'll slowly float above the ground so they can be placed over both land and water.

@Seiseki, knifelSpoonie- I want these objects to seem very foreign but I don't want them to be too distracting so I'll play with it.

I hate posting empty handed but I'm in the middle of a bunch of stuff, sorry!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

Those wall things look very strange... like units could just squeeze between them or something. Doesn't look very logical... ludonarratively weak I guess I would say. I don't fully understand why you think making all the joining wall tiles would be that much work.. I mean you made all the shoreline tiles for regular ground, right?

Could I suggest maybe just making something that looked like it was generating some sort of electrical wall? Like, the individual wall tiles would just be these little floating generator/relay things that daisy chained a sort of lightning/laser looking wall around. I think that would look a lot better, I dunno, just my opinion. You could even have the little "wall pods" cutely conform to the tile they were placed on. Like, if they have ground below them they sprout a little tripod like stand, if they are over water, then they sprout a buoy type bottom, if they are over a city they are an antenna type thing on top of the building, etc.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic