Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:12:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGlorious Leader! Now with 100% more Kickstarter
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Glorious Leader! Now with 100% more Kickstarter  (Read 19123 times)
Moneyhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea commands you to know that the capitalist pigs at Moneyhorse LLC, are developing GLORIOUS LEADER!, an epic tale about the triumph of Kim Jong Un over the entire American army.

Battle through 7 unique levels as you defeat waves of imperialists, combat over-the-top bosses and ride unicorns!

Glorious Leader! is coming soon to PC and something called a mobile device. Finally, you will know why North Korea truly is the best Korea.

check out our trailer

bigger image: http://s22.postimg.org/k255ag5xt/Pyongyang01.gif

bigger image:http://s29.postimg.org/dh0yl2lzr/Unicorn_Forest.png

bigger image:http://s7.postimg.org/lcv30o2tn/missile_launch.png

bigger image:http://s13.postimg.org/az087b9h3/Statue_Of_Liberty_boss.png

bigger image:http://s17.postimg.org/lhij0hvyn/Court.png
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:52:04 PM by Moneyhorse » Logged

hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »

Very interresting setting.
I gather there'll be a lot of humor, right? Are the americans going to look like real, modern us troops, or like on North Korean propaganda posters?

railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:03:59 AM »

Not like they will come after any copyright Tongue , nice art!

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »

this is obviously a genius idea

Moneyhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »

Thanks guys! yeah it will be humerus and the American's will looks like what the Koreans expect. I figure the worst that happens is that Dennis Rodman comes after me...

Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »

I bet Kim Jong-un will check up on your game once it's released, I've read that he likes to play the occasional video game, so good luck  Grin

jiitype
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »

Brilliant.

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »

If this ends up being a joke/troll devlog I will be SORELY disappointed.
Moneyhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:54:50 AM »

Nice!

railslavegames
Level 1

Uncompromised

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:00:01 AM »

the dawn of the Korea- em - up

Moneyhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »

By the way, I do need a name for this thing, so suggestions are welcome.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:53:56 AM »

As a half-South Korean, I ask you to keep it respectful. But sure, sounds fun.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »

By the way, I do need a name for this thing, so suggestions are welcome.

Here are a couple of names I made up, most of them are stupid, but hey, one of them might work Wink

Civil Disobedience
Leader Buddy
Righteous Revenge (made up from your first screenshot)

twoeyedcyclops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

I don't mean to come across as attacking this idea, but I'm just wondering if there is a point you're trying to make or if there's a satirical purpose to this game, and if so, what is it? I just finished reading "Nothing to Envy" by Barbara Demick about the incredible misery experienced by the vast majority of ordinary North Koreans, living in a state very reminiscent of the country depicted by George Orwell in 1984. For example, there have been several fairly recent famines where hundreds of thousands or more (possibly millions) perished; there are some 200,000 or more people in concentration camp-style slave labor camps for "political crimes"; many of the young people are permanently stunted in growth due to years of malnutrition; the average GDP per capita is something like 30 times less than South Korea, right across the border. All of these cruel facts and many, many more are the result of the policies of the present regime. Yes, Kim Jong Un and Kim Jong il and the rhetoric and propaganda seem ridiculous, but after knowing these facts, the mere sight of them is not automatically funny.

Something else to consider. The game announcement mentioned that the player will help fight off evil Americans, which were later described as being like the caricatures of evil Americans depicted in North Korean propaganda. Are you aware that those caricatures are identical-looking to the Jewish caricatures used by the Nazis? That might look rather unsavory as video game enemies.

I am not saying that this subject is not appropriate for a video game, I'm more wondering if you're aware and have thought through these issues. If you have, that's great, and I hope you'll share a little bit about your thought process and what you're hoping to achieve with this game. Please don't take this as criticism of you or an attack, I am simply asking a few questions and I hope encouraging an attempt to dig a little deeper. As game makers, we don't make games in a vacuum, and have to think about what our games are actually saying.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »

Are you aware that those caricatures are identical-looking to the Jewish caricatures used by the Nazis? That might look rather unsavory as video game enemies.

(First page Godwin!) Propaganda is unsavory. Depicting enemies as they are depicted in a fake-first degree game fashion is fine. It's a risky topic as it could fall into caricature itself or get its original meaning lost in the different levels of lecture, but I think it is worth trying.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Conker534
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »

Art has every right to offend people, and the creators of art shouldn't worry about offending anyone.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »

I just don't want this to be like that muslim massacre thing that siskavard made.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Conker534
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »

Well if he wanted it to be like that, there is no reason not to be.

This thread isn't about our opinions though, lets stop going off topic.
billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »

I figure the worst that happens is that Dennis Rodman comes after me...

Now you have to find a way to shoehorn Rodman into the game. Maybe he can be a boss (double-agent) with basket-baller minions. Just to make sure he does come after you!

I just don't want this to be like that muslim massacre thing that siskavard made.

I don't think mocking a monarchical dictatorship comes close to racially stereotyping/vilifying Muslims. It would be easy to portray sympathy for North Koreans and disdain for the murderous quacks running the show within the game.

As a bonus the game could spread like wildfire amongst the citizenry. Moneyhorse could be the new Hasselhoff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic