Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:16:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsINFilstrUcTURE (gameboy, scifi) (REPLACING ALL THE GUNS WITH SWORDS)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: INFilstrUcTURE (gameboy, scifi) (REPLACING ALL THE GUNS WITH SWORDS)  (Read 13666 times)
alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »

INFilstrUcTURE
(cool pixely image coming soon)

Infilstructure, is a sci-fi shooter, with bunch of very experimental game mechanics.
The game is a fake gameboy original game for PC. (now)
We will use real gameboy music and SFX.
Originally developed for GBJAM (http://GBJAM.net), but me and retrostark decided to develop the unfinished entry into a full game.
I hope to be able to update often but, both me and retrostark are busy with school and other projects. So we will do our best Smiley

• Story:
You are an infiltrator, who has to infiltrate an enemy battle ship on its way to earth and take it down. Using the coolest hacking tools available to you.
  • Gameplay:
Its tilebased, but real time. (Adding more stuff as we implement it into the game...)
  • Graphics:
Its gameboy size of screen sticking to 4 colors. I'm ignoring the layer 3 and only 3 colors for sprites one, its just mean...
Also, I think the game will be X2 scaled, with options to scale it even further or use original size...

Current mockup:

Enjoy Smiley
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:42:07 PM by alex pang » Logged

Follow me on twitter @alexolsenpang
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »

Only one pic but I liked it. Maybe the hero(?) could have a bit more personality but, ehi, it's the first image. Wink
But is it an action game or more adventure with brain use? Wink

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »

Only one pic but I liked it. Maybe the hero(?) could have a bit more personality but, ehi, it's the first image. Wink
But is it an action game or more adventure with brain use? Wink
I just uploaded more...
I want to convey personality through the heroes movement, aka animation. also there is not much room for that on a gameboy Tongue
I was thinking either a subtle combination or chose yourself, kind of way. I think it will look like a dumb action game anyways, action in not so subtle ironic way is what I like Tongue

But there will be some tactical elements, that will involve "hacking"...

st0ven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »

Aside from the layer/tile color restrictions, does everything else plan to conform to GB hardware compatibility? I wish i knew more about it to comment on this in a helpful way. Are you able to adjust your palette at all? I think it would read better if your highlight was brighter and adjusting your 2nd hilight slightly to widen the luminosity scale a bit. When you start talkin highlights for muzzle flashes, the current highlight color you have doesnt seem to do it justice, nor any specular lighting you might require for reflective surfaces.

I dont know much about your character but i felt compelled to want to try my hand at touching the sprite briefly.

please note that i dont know how close to the specs you are adhering to so there might be some sizing issues with it not fitting into 8x8 sized tiles. Otherwise i was looking to see if there were any way to help the sprite stand out a bit more.

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »

Sounds like a cool concept. You mentioned movement will be tile based - do you mean as in the same way as Pokemon, or more like the battle mode of Megaman Battle Network? I feel like the later could look really cool in this game, with the style of gameplay you are going for.

What kind of hacking tools do you have planned?

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:08 AM »

Sounds like a cool concept. You mentioned movement will be tile based - do you mean as in the same way as Pokemon, or more like the battle mode of Megaman Battle Network? I feel like the later could look really cool in this game, with the style of gameplay you are going for.

What kind of hacking tools do you have planned?
Neither actually, don't know how to explain it since I haven't played any game that does this.
about the hacking I think re programming attack bots and drones, to either attack enemies or help you with a shortcut. (not sure yet)

@st0ven
As I said on my twitter, I dont use the 8*8 grid but, its possible to make my tiles out of 4 8*8 tile aka one 16*16...
I know some gameboy games do that...
about the brighter color, I think I will go with that, it looks sweet!

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:26 PM »

Retrostark made a tumlr! Smiley
Tumblr Devlog
Here is a neat gif of our game (its before the graphical re-work btw)

(also this one is not tile based)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:59:00 PM by alex pang » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »

This looks pretty sweet.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:51 PM »

I like everything I see in this thread  Tongue

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »

I like everything I see in this thread  Tongue
Always great to hear that from you  Hand Thumbs Up Right
This looks pretty sweet.
Thanks will be back with more updates shortly!

oldboy_sagat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

It looks great.  What are you using to make it?
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »

Oh awesome. I actually played this during the gbjam. Glad to see development is continuing!

Conker534
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »

Following!
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:10:32 AM »

I like your pixels.

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »

It looks great.  What are you using to make it?
Game Maker
Oh awesome. I actually played this during the gbjam. Glad to see development is continuing!
Nice to hear!
I like your pixels.
Thanks, I like pixels too!
Thats why I made this a picture of the main character!

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:58 PM »

okay, I'm sold, following too!  Smiley

alex pang
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:52 AM »

New mockup almost finished with art update!!   Well, hello there!

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 03:12:13 AM »

Just some pixel critique:

The dither in your mock-up confusingly looks like a transparent sheet since the tiles on it perfectly lines up with the floor you walk on. If you want to keep the dither, I suggest changing the look of the tiles in it to something different than the floor.

Also, I saw your rough for the main character picture, and it has much, much better volume and lighting readability:

Specifically, the gun in your final (?) looks flat, whereas in the rough it has real volume, and the highlights on the left leg seems inconsistent and flat compared to your rough sketch. Same goes for both hands, which are much better lit in the early rough version.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

New mockup almost finished with art update!!   Well, hello there!

THIS IS LOVE!  Evil

retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »

And I'm alive!  Crazy We are going to be rebuilding Infilstructure from the ground up. During the Jam things came up with both Alex and I and we didn't get very far on the game, so we decided re-writing all the code was also a good idea.  Hand Any Key As you can see Alex is also redesigning all the art from the game, and making a lot of amazing progress already!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

So I will talk to you again in a week or so with another update, until then enjoy Alex's 'almost daily' art updates  Wink

Toast LeftWizardHand Metal Left
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic