Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:57:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[FUNDED!][RPG] Legena: Union Tides - Classic JRPG goodness
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [FUNDED!][RPG] Legena: Union Tides - Classic JRPG goodness  (Read 10098 times)
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »

Please Show Your Support On Our Website

Click here to see the screenshot gallery

Description

Legena: noun: A legend that spans an era: the legend of the Narrator

Have you seen the red sky? And the green lightning? Rumour has it that whenever the sky turns red and the land is struck by green, the Narrator appears. A time traveller I hear. You best be a good boy. You best be a good girl. Otherwise the legena will come true. The Narrator will get you.

Legena: Union Tides is a turn-based role playing game for currently Windows, Android, GameStick and OUYA (other platforms pending). Take the role of Tetiro Aceus and Atesan Turwin to explore the open seas, stop the pirate lords and discover the other side of the Legena universe. And how their roles turn the gears of a legena that spans countless eras.

Legena features a traditional JRPG combat system with a dynamic turn system, a variety of exciting characters, threatening villains and unique dungeons, along with new features including the weather which effect the advantage in battles, feathers that equip heroes with a variety of skills and a morale feature that rewards choices, there is plenty to keep you busy. And for those wanting a challenge, the difficulty grid waits. Choose your difficulty and power on through!

History

Legena is being developed by a group of three people. There is Greg who does our sound effects, SkittleGirl Sound who has provided our entire 16-Bit soundtrack and me, the programmer, artist and designer.

Legena started out as a 8-Bit inspired prototype which I developed during university for Android. A few years later I decided to return to the series knowing I could have done better. And thus the Legena series was reborn as a trilogy. While the prototype was developed using Game Maker 8, I have decided to use Game Maker Studio as it will allow me to port the series to the GameStick, Android, OUYA and many other platforms!

Characters

Over the course of the game, you will control a variety of characters. Each with a story. And each with a past.

Tetiro Aceus : The king of Orenna. Living a sheltered life with his father, it took leaving his country to see the world in a new way and to bring Orenna into a new golden era. He is now travelling to Dynol and Vesira to bring peace in the name of Orenna. However he is obsessed with the Narrator. Meeting him during his rise to power, he pursues the Narrator frantically to take him down. He is becoming a lot like his father.

Atesan Turwin : The king's advisor. During the reign of King Uritan, Atesan led a rough life being hunted like an animal. He was an outcast. Suffering years of torture, punishment and humiliation, Atesan became distant with other people. He rarely trusts people and originally despised Tetiro Aceus. Over the last few years, the scars Atesan gained have started to heal. With the mental scars disappearing, he now wears the physical scars with pride.

Nathaar Curi : One of the Pirate Lords. Being stranded at Marin Port, Nathaar and his best mate Martic planned to steal a ship and sail to Dynol to get revenge on the man who stole their ship. Cocky, arrogant and ruthless, he doesn't seem the type to take pity on people. Especially those who are far weaker than him. There may be more to him than meets the eye. Very few pirates in Dynol have a sense of kindness in them.

Martic Razmi : Nathaar's best mate. Being his second in command, Nathaar trusts Martic and seeks his guidance in their plunders and crimes. With his quick wit and his channel cannons, there is no situation that Martic can't get out of. He keeps his cool and powers through. Though with his wit and calm personality comes a gleam in his eye. He has a plan to make Nathaar and himself the greatest duo of pirates the world has ever seen.

Malina Petafin : An old friend of Tetiro Aceus and Atesan Turwin. After helping them on their adventure to overthrow King Uritan, Malina has now set out to Dynol to find new adventures with guarantees from a source that there is a crime lord worthy of a huge bounty. And with her obsession for being a heroine, she set out to the land of Dynol to make a heroine of herself. But she finds more than she can take.

Lenaki : Not much is known about Lenaki. In fact, she doesn't know much about herself. Waking up at the Red Shore, she has a lot to work out. Why is she different? Why is she a toy reptile? Perhaps she will be enlightened by these answers. Or perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Downloads

Below is the demo of the game. You have access to everything up until the first boss. The demo is still in progress as a good number of the sound effects aren't implemented yet. And please note it is intended to be a 15+ game. So please respect the age rating.

Demo (Psst. F1 turns it fullscreen)

Please show your support!

Happy Gaming! Please check us out on Twitter (@Grandpa_Pixel) or Facebook (Grandpa Pixel)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:52:38 PM by King Tetiro » Logged
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »

Dang it, I gave broken links. I fixed the links now.

Happy Gaming!
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

This looks great! Looking forward to trying the demo tonight Smiley
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

This looks great! Looking forward to trying the demo tonight Smiley

Awesome, I hope you'll enjoy it! I hope to hear feedback Smiley
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »

Played it for just a short bit now (only 10mins or so) and am hooked.

Music is really amazing, and everything feels polished and well thought out. I'm excited to get more into this, I feel like this is a true gem. I also really like the art, I like seeing such awesomely varied color palette. Really this reminds me in a good way to DQ games, but without being a "parody" which so many games are. So it's nice to see a sincere take.

I'll hopefully play the demo some more tonight, a couple bugs:

1- ESC seems to instan-quit the game! Kinda dangerous Smiley
2- The sound effects during the second scene (where they are walking along the road) seemed a bit off, almost like they were supposed to be the sound effects for the first scene? Hard to explain but I was hearing all these things that didn't seem to correlate to the screen.

I'll give you more feedback after I can really get into this, hopefully in the next few nights. Thanks!
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:22:55 PM »

Played it for just a short bit now (only 10mins or so) and am hooked.

Music is really amazing, and everything feels polished and well thought out. I'm excited to get more into this, I feel like this is a true gem. I also really like the art, I like seeing such awesomely varied color palette. Really this reminds me in a good way to DQ games, but without being a "parody" which so many games are. So it's nice to see a sincere take.

I'll hopefully play the demo some more tonight, a couple bugs:

1- ESC seems to instan-quit the game! Kinda dangerous Smiley
2- The sound effects during the second scene (where they are walking along the road) seemed a bit off, almost like they were supposed to be the sound effects for the first scene? Hard to explain but I was hearing all these things that didn't seem to correlate to the screen.

I'll give you more feedback after I can really get into this, hopefully in the next few nights. Thanks!

1- Already fixed and will be available in the next version *thumbs up*
2- Doesn't help that the sound effects for the first scene haven't been added yet. And there aren't any sound effects in the second scene :/

And really? You're enjoying it? Thanks! It makes all the work worth while! I always dread posting here because there aren't that many fans of RPGs from my previous experience and so I was nervous to post.

On top of that, I'm happy to hear the music and graphics are appreciated! :D

I hope to do RPGs proud with my game
poe
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »

Why is this age 15+?Huh?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 07:09:12 AM »

risque scenes, you have to buy the game to find out

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:27 AM »

Why is this age 15+?Huh?

I rated it as a 15+ because I prefer my audiences to nearer that age due to the content covered. Whilst it doesn't have sex, drugs, booze etc, it does have themes I would prefer giving a 15+ rating on just so they come into it with an appreciation that the game is meant for the older audiences.

For example, Atesan's background is full of discrimination and torture. This is the sort of theme I would deem too mature for anyone to play.
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »

Good news everyone! I have updated the demo. It's a small update but I'm sure it will only improve the quality.

• Now some of the windows have sunlight shining through!
  • Updated the graphics. Specifically the tiles
  • When you press Escape, instead of ending the game it opens a Quit Menu

All the small details count. And boy am I happy with the windows now.

In the next version, I plan to do the following

• In the next version, the following things will be implemented
  • 11 more sound effects, making the game sound more
  • SkittleGirl sound's logo in the titlescreen
  • More window effects??? [Rain splatter, Snow, etc]
  • Changes to the Titlescreen
  • Tweaks to the Options menu
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »

Awesome! I still have to get around to playing this again (last night was playing The Floor Is Jelly) so when I do I'll play the updated one. Smiley I'll give you more feedback when I play it some more.

PS: not sure about the sound effects thing-- maybe I had something weird running in the background? When I play again I'll restart from the beginning and tell you if it happens again.
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

Awesome! I still have to get around to playing this again (last night was playing The Floor Is Jelly) so when I do I'll play the updated one. Smiley I'll give you more feedback when I play it some more.

I have fully updated the game so you'll need to play it again.

The new version has the following

• 11 more sound effects, making the game sound more
  • SkittleGirl sound's logo in the titlescreen
  • Window effects
  • Changes to the Titlescreen
  • Tweaks to the Options menu
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »

Hey guys,

It's been over a week and a new version has been added! So what has been going on? I've had reviewers go over the demo, finding any faults and fixing the faults. Strangely most of it wasn't to do with gameplay itself. In fact, the only gameplay crits I had was from a hater of JRPGs. Now there were too many adjustments to list so I'm going to list the top 5

• Fullscreen capabilities
  • Mass Graphics Upgrade
  • Story Adjustments
  • Alerts when your characters are low on health or KO'd
  • Adjustments so another secret character can be implemented (Won't be viewable)

I should also note that as of this version, the save files from the previous version can't be used. This is because of the extra character that can be implemented. It modifies the save file drastically so PLEASE START YOUR SAVES AGAIN.

Hope you all enjoy the improvements I have made!
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »

Finally got to sit down and play my way through, it's really a gem! The world itself feels very deep and fleshed out, great storytelling and fun combat.

Not much to add, you've got a really nice thing going on here. Can't wait to see how it develops Smiley
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »

Finally got to sit down and play my way through, it's really a gem! The world itself feels very deep and fleshed out, great storytelling and fun combat.

Not much to add, you've got a really nice thing going on here. Can't wait to see how it develops Smiley

It is so good to hear all my work as been fruitful! As long as people approved of the demo, then I can see this being a long and happy development Smiley

I have been very hard at work on updating the demo. So much has been added/modified that to list it all would require a blog entry of some sort Tongue

So what's been going on? Well...
-I've been fine tuning the demo to ensure it reaches a high quality!
-I've been running processor testing for various Android devices including the OUYA
-I have been pursuing porting the game to the GameStick as well.
-I have pretty much confirmed porting to the Ouya and GameStick with only a few things left to do
-Sprited every single tile in the game
-And all of the enemies as well!
-Preparing for the KickStarter campaign
-Preparing the Business. UK business stuff is pretty difficult in some places.
-Bug fixing and tweaking
-Working on the Website
-Public art as well!
-A trailer (coming soon...)
-The list goes on and on!

The new demo will most likely be the last before the KickStarter campaign. I want to knuckle down and finish up the demo, finish the website. There is a list of things I need to do. Will I make it? Let's hope so!
Savick
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »

I'm not reading the A in Legena (in your title logo graphic) clearly enough. It looks like a weird Z to me right now when reading the letters. Logo clarity is really important so maybe take another look at it.  Smiley
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 04:38:50 AM »

I'm not reading the A in Legena (in your title logo graphic) clearly enough. It looks like a weird Z to me right now when reading the letters. Logo clarity is really important so maybe take another look at it.  Smiley

Taken care of it! I have made it more like an A for you Smiley
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »

Hey guys!

It's been nearly a month. What have I been doing? Well a lot of things. Personal, Work-Related and Game Development. Getting very close to the KickStarter too. I updated the demo today! Thanks to a helpful member from RPGamer (Rya), I was pointed to potential pitfalls in the game and have rectified them. And as a whole, it has made the experience better!

-Grammer and Textbox fixes
-Better NPC destroying. They now fade away
-NPC interaction requires you to face them
-Save Screen adjustment
-Mass Overhaul of Item Menus
-Debug Items removed
-Choices will now make more sense
-Game Balancing. Now you get a tougher challenge
-And more!

So what's left before the KickStarter? 2 pieces of Concept Art. That's it. After that, a domino effect will occur and by the end of that week, the campaign will be submitted. I hope it goes well. I have a lot of stories to tell.

So this is it. The last stretch before the campaign. Hit me with all you got! As this will be the last time before the campaign.
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »

It's been a while. Sorry about that! I had a few personal issues that took the whole of April and May to get over. It has been a very rough time.

I have updated the version and we are very close to going to KickStarter. So we will be knuckling down on that. But I bring 2 more pieces of news.

The first is that the trailer has been unveiled.

And secondly, we will be getting covered by a gaming news website. I can't say more at the moment but it will definitely help our cause!

Let the good times roll! We are also on Twitter (@Grandpa_Pixel) and Facebook (Grandpa Pixel)

The red sky and green lightning has been sighted. Spread the word.
King Tetiro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »

Hey everyone!

I am happy to announce the KickStarter has gone live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/971843557/legena-union-tides

Please show your support! We're trying to raise £5,000 to make the game as awesome as we can!

Spread the word! And help us make this a great game!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic