Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:50:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrigger Princess - A One-button RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trigger Princess - A One-button RPG  (Read 9598 times)
FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »

Greetings, we're people of MINTSPHERE! I might be lurking in this great community for quite some time, but this is the first time we muster our courage and post our game here. Nice to meet you!

Trigger Princess is the highly anticipated "full game" of Trigger Knight, a resource management / RPG proof-of-concept we made. The project is ongoing for almost 2 years old, which is kinda expected with the core team of 2 people.

Concepts
"What kind of RPG can we make if a controller have only 1 button?"

The whole idea of the project is to make an RPG with core mechanic and control as simple as possible (down to one-button mechanics), without sacrificing the complexity and making the game itself shallow. To test the viability of said mechanics, we made a small proof-of-concept dubbed "Trigger Knight". Players' feedback went better than expected, and the game became quite a hit in Flash portals and android phone. "Trigger Knight" can be played here:

Note that while the gameplay is in 1-button, the user interface is not. Not only it's not required to do so, we think it will make the menu navigation obnoxious.

Goals and Influences
While "Trigger Knight" proved to be quite addictive, we realized that the game sometimes demands very high amount of luck. We aim to reduce that factor and focus on player strategy. We also want to push the game's production quality in-par-of handheld games, as well as the immersion in terms of storytelling and gameplay experience.

Trigger Princess is (highly?) influenced by:
- Yuusha30 (Half-Minute Hero in US)
- Canabalt
- ST!NG's games
- Vanillaware's games (Especially the art direction)

Screenshot
These are a glimpse of the game in action. As the game is still in production, plenty factors are tentative and can be changed within game's release.

Concept art, omakes

Musical drafts

https://soundcloud.com/atelier-lucid/the-valiant-maiden-draft
more to come...

Current Status
Currently death-marching to push the game's release date. Pray for us not to die before finishing the game first! Waaagh!

===

And finally, please forgive our bad english, as we're not from an english speaking country  Beer!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:45:38 AM by FanFan » Logged
FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »

Aaaaand the dragon breath is in!
Erichermit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »

I gave the linked game "Trigger Knight" a play. I was skeptical at first, but it's actually a lot of fun. I was surprised that my decisions were actually meaningful.

Actually, I feel like it has a lot more depth than most actual RPGs, when you really think about it. Just I don't have to be manually telling them to attack each time... :/

I support your endeavors to make the game more skill based and less reliant on luck.

I'll be looking forward to this.

lethargilistic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

Wow! I remember playing "Trigger Knight" when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be watching for this game's release!
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »

hello there fella Beer! , im going to stalk this thread, but since have been following the project i wont say much here.

im impressed with the gif captures, h-how?? LICEcap gives lot of errors, do you lower the FPS setting?

also good luck  Gentleman

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »

This looks awesome! Shocked You guys are talented.

FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »

I gave the linked game "Trigger Knight" a play. I was skeptical at first, but it's actually a lot of fun. I was surprised that my decisions were actually meaningful.

Actually, I feel like it has a lot more depth than most actual RPGs, when you really think about it. Just I don't have to be manually telling them to attack each time... :/

I support your endeavors to make the game more skill based and less reliant on luck.

I'll be looking forward to this.

Thanks for trying! Please tell us if you think something else needs to be fixed from the proof of concept :D

Wow! I remember playing "Trigger Knight" when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be watching for this game's release!

Glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully we're able to pull this game off in February/March.

hello there fella Beer! , im going to stalk this thread, but since have been following the project i wont say much here.

im impressed with the gif captures, h-how?? LICEcap gives lot of errors, do you lower the FPS setting?

also good luck  Gentleman

Heyy awesome, Lazcht is here! We're indeed usng LICEcap for the gif, with 12fps setting... We didn't encountered any error though. Thanks!

This looks awesome! Shocked You guys are talented.

Thank you! The game underwent several times of major polishing revision, but we're glad it's starting to pay off Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:48:54 AM by FanFan » Logged
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »

Aww Man... That looks so gorgeous. I want it so bad right now :/

I wonder if the game concept of only pressing one button can be entertaining for a long period of time. I played one-button games before and I got bored very quick. Well on the other the interface is still more complex and the graphics are really nice.

On which platforms will this be released?

FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »

Aww Man... That looks so gorgeous. I want it so bad right now :/

I wonder if the game concept of only pressing one button can be entertaining for a long period of time. I played one-button games before and I got bored very quick. Well on the other the interface is still more complex and the graphics are really nice.

On which platforms will this be released?

Hey thanks! We're release it on borwser/Flash first, then iOS/Android.

Updates
New map graphics! Better than the last one we think:

and... Insignia? Not sure what it's called, but it will be our decoration for "Chapter announcement" interface.

And a new song draft, for one of the stage too! We spent half of our weekend for these (and probably all of it later).

https://soundcloud.com/atelier-lucid/ashed-ones-draft
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:44:26 AM by FanFan » Logged
Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »

This Looks great!!
I played the trigger knight... so simple yet so captivating! ive been meaning to make such a game, (well, not like this) but its really nice to see such a game work.
(I also got silver medal, go me! All time leaderboards are insane however, did you make one of those scores?)
Really curious how youll improve on this.
looking foward to it!

Conker534
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »

I like the style, following!
FanFan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:03 AM »

This Looks great!!
I played the trigger knight... so simple yet so captivating! ive been meaning to make such a game, (well, not like this) but its really nice to see such a game work.
(I also got silver medal, go me! All time leaderboards are insane however, did you make one of those scores?)
Really curious how youll improve on this.
looking foward to it!

Hey, thanks for playing! The players are insane just like that, and also there's cheat involved (i still dont get why people cheat for highscore, but it's their call, i guess..)

I like the style, following!

Glad to have someone following! We hope to give regular development and asset updates here

====

Sorry for no updates for a long time... We're currently preparing an early playable to post here and get some feedback for the game!

Current updates

A scene with the King

And intro animation!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:08:56 AM »

- Canabalt
- ST!NG's games

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

You have my attention!

One thing, though. I love your sprite work and your line art. But the full color renders (character portraits and cutscenes) look a little bit unfinished. They are good pieces, but they lack the polish the other elements have.

Just my 2 cents. Everything else looks incredible!

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 02:14:16 AM »

I played Trigger Knight and I think it's a cool concept Smiley, following this!.

- Canabalt
- ST!NG's games

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

You have my attention!

One thing, though. I love your sprite work and your line art. But the full color renders (character portraits and cutscenes) look a little bit unfinished. They are good pieces, but they lack the polish the other elements have.

Just my 2 cents. Everything else looks incredible!

I agree with Juan about the portraits. Ninja

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 03:10:16 AM »

I thought that the game would consist of quick play sessions like its predecessor. But looking at all the story related stuff looks like it'll much more complex eh? Anyway, yay for a pblic build! Gomez
Savick
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 07:12:54 AM »

Gotta say, the art style is damn pretty.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Okay, then I actually played the game once and it was a tense ride of enjoyment. Well done, sir.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:21:50 AM by Savick » Logged
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »

I downloaded Trigger Knight earlier and I was surprised at how much fun I had with it. You're quite correct that luck is a bit too much of a factor, though. If you correct that and add a little bit more depth, you're going to have an awesome game! Also, your art is really lovely. I'll be following your progress with interest!
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 01:51:01 PM »

This game looks so cool

I sent you an email <3

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic