Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:48:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKODAMA - 2D Hand Painted Physics platformer - KICKSTARTING
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: KODAMA - 2D Hand Painted Physics platformer - KICKSTARTING  (Read 16059 times)
Dan_Tsukasa
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm Dan, this is my first post after lurking about on the forum for a while, so I figured I'd use it to introduce myself along with my game Kodama. I'm a 3D Artist with a background in film & game, currently designing my own game whilst working on the wonderful A Hat in Time.

So What is Kodama?

Kodama is physics based 2D Platformer set in the Genroku period of Japanese history (1868-1704).

Kodama is about Kodama, our tree spirit protagonist, with his mountain forest home burned to the ground, and all the Yokai (spirits, demons,ghosts) hiding in fear, Kodama is sent on a journey by Amaterasu (The Sun goddess) to discover the cause of the darkness and put an end to it.

The 2 below images are ingame screenshots, not concepts.

And for anyone wanting to see those 2 images at a higher quality than the forums allow:

http://i.imgur.com/AFcj10j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sShJKmh.jpg

Update 5: A quick video to show some movement going on.

Game Mechanics and Features

Players will have to run, jump, climb, push and pull objects to solve puzzles in order to traverse several unique and challenging environments.

Progressing requires not only Platforming, but also a unique ability to question the objects and world around you and how to use them to your advantage.

The game features no GUI; instead the characters status is depicted by his physical condition bought on by the amount of water or sunlight absorbed.

The game takes place deep within Japanese mythology, creatures of all shapes sizes and purposes will be strewn throughout the areas, Kodama is unable to fight and instead must either use the environment to his advantage or preferably avoid enemies altogether. All enemies, terms and environments will stay as true to their mythological and Shinto origins as possible without hindering gameplay or accessibility. Any users who've played Okami will recognize various Shinto terms and symbols.

So what exactly makes Kodama special?

Players must balance Kodamas abilities to absorb water & sunlight as they travel through each stage.
When players enter water they increase Kodamas weight, slowing them down whilst increasing their strength & allowing them to withstand heavy winds.

Players who absorb water can also use it to populate their environment with flora, a technique that enables them to grow the environment & reach new areas.

When a player enters sunlight they it drains Kodama of water, increasing his speed and decreasing their weight, however this makes Kodama weaker and unable to solve physically demanding puzzles.

Crossing a river on a log is a simple as losing some water to stop the log from sinking, but what if the other side of that river contains a boulder that requires you to absorb water to move? What should you do then?

What are these Puzzle you mentioned?:

All puzzles throughout Kodama are physics based, requiring the player to use Kodamas various states to push or pull objects, dam rivers (or flood them), move impossible sized boulders, float on winds of fancy or simply play a musical piece with wind and hollow bamboo.

What Engine will the game be made in?

Kodama is being programmed in the Unity Engine

Feedback

I welcome any kind of criticism; you can critique the concept work, the ideas, the mechanics, the title, etc. I will consistently post new concepts and screens as time passes by.

I'm looking forward to any kind of criticism, be it visuals, story, mechanics or otherwise, I'm open to all opinions. I'm well aware that due to source material some users may feel a little confused by the story, however the main aspect is gameplay, the story is there but it by no means interrupts the gameplay and ruins the immersion.

Describe the game for me in 1 sentance

LIMBO meets Ooromuramasa & Rayman Legends.

Gameplay wise I'd say think something along the lines of LIMBO, just without that amazing art style and dark tone, Kodama will have some darker areas but nothing to match the magnificence of LIMBO.

The Team

Dan Tsukasa as Game Designer, Level Designer, Producer and all that jazz.
Chris Genova as Lead Programmer
Christopher Wilson on Environment Art
Emma-Louise Wakley on character animation.
Zoe Coleman on Composition and SFX.

And now for some Gifs & a piece of concept art, because everyone loves gifs & concepts

I'll share here a few gifs of Kodama himself in 3 of his states, Soaked, Normal and Crispy + an Enemy

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:39:10 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »

Updated first post with a little more information now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:22:26 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:09 AM »

Wow really lovely art and style. I love Okami so this is really up my street! I like the idea of the character changing depending on water/sunlight absorption. How far away are you from having something playable?

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

Satori4
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »

very nice Smiley

@satori4
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »

Wow really lovely art and style. I love Okami so this is really up my street! I like the idea of the character changing depending on water/sunlight absorption. How far away are you from having something playable?

Wow Thankyou.
Yes, we've had something playable for a while actually, its just not all that presentable just yet, the animations look nice, but the visuals shown are most of what we have so far. Currently gearing up for a Kickstarter mid February. All the physics and the like work perfectly fine, smaller details like good looking water are eluding us at the moment.
yui_jegnan
Level 0

Challenging video games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »

Hi!

Is that thing in your last gif Nikujin? A japanese Youkai? I remember seeing it in a manga as a child.

Cube and Me Devlog
Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »

Wow Thankyou.
Yes, we've had something playable for a while actually, its just not all that presentable just yet, the animations look nice, but the visuals shown are most of what we have so far. Currently gearing up for a Kickstarter mid February. All the physics and the like work perfectly fine, smaller details like good looking water are eluding us at the moment.

Great looking forward to it! Incidentally if you need any music give me a shout as I'd love to score a game like this *cringes at shameless self-promotion*

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 07:21:16 AM »

Hi!

Is that thing in your last gif Nikujin? A japanese Youkai? I remember seeing it in a manga as a child.

Good eye.
That gif is of Nuppeppou, though when I do a search for Nikujin I find Nuppeppou so it seems like Nuppeppou is the common name but in some districts he's occasionally called Nikujin.

Great looking forward to it! Incidentally if you need any music give me a shout as I'd love to score a game like this *cringes at shameless self-promotion*

Oh this is turning into a nice day, I am indeed searching for a composer, drop me a PM and we'll discuss it there.

EDIT: Have since hired Zoe Coleman as Composer and SFX Artist.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:39:38 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Oakfront
Level 0

Sticky DPad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:42:03 AM »

Looking beautiful man! Keep up the good work!
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »

Looking good sir.   Cool concept/mechanic of sun/water absorbtion.  Keep it going.

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »

Update 1

And an update, I'll make a post tomorrow explaining this physics puzzle a little.

Sorry for the lack of updates so far, got a little tied up with freelance stuff today as I'll be out of the country shortly so I need to finish that up before I leave.

But for the moment take notice of the hole/broken area towards the end of the log + the logs current angle, notice how it changes as that boulder falls into the groove (musical reference unintentional).

Full Res images here:
http://i.imgur.com/eED5euN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eED5euN.jpg

Is there no way for me to have the images at their actual resolution in the forum without users having to scroll to view? For example when someone clicks the image it pops out or expands? If not then I'll just provide alternate links as always.

I'm not happy with it just yet, whole scene feels rather 'empty' right now, lack of objects in foreground and background, no leaves toward the top of the screen, no Shimenawa between the trees, no statues, its very bare, but I'll work on that tomorrow.

I always make the playable bit first and then play about with the visuals, or at least this is what I tell myself, its not unusual for me to waste a day organizing background and lighting and not actually finishing the playable section.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:10:10 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »

Update 2

I thought I'd share a little on how we're putting things together for Kodama.

For the terrain (both decorative and physical) I've been using Ferr2DTerrain.
Its from the Asset store and its honestly fantastic, really helps me to create a fluid & natural looking environment.

For Kodama himself everything is physics based, the player is a fully rigid body, this means forces in the environment such as wind or water are able to react with the player to create some really interesting puzzles, this also means that Kodama's different states have a different mass, some some states are heavier whilst others are lighter, making things such as blowing in the wind, for both Kodama and for objects such as ropes/vines in the environment.

Interestingly this means that the rope can still blow even whilst Kodama holds onto it, so using the wind to help swing you in the right direction is quite important at times.

Heres a quick basic example of a rope blowing in the wind and one of Kodama floating on some wind.

Sorry that they don't loop very well, its not really possible to get a perfectly looping gif of non-looping footage.
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »

Update 3:

Got some music incoming this time.

Composers doing far too well so far, music suits the game well.

Love to hear what everyone else thinks.

I'm also interested to know what other people are specifically interested in this dev log, or should I just continue to post as I have so far? If there are any particular questions I'd love to explain things.

Edit, I'm an idiot and didn't even post a link to the music..

Here: https://soundcloud.com/zoecoleman/iwato-kodama-trailer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:12:05 PM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »

haha, I love the main character design.  The animation is pretty sweet too Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »

haha, I love the main character design.  The animation is pretty sweet too Smiley

Thankyou.

Also, I updated the above post with the actual music track now, since I somehow failed at doing that when I first posted a few hours back.
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »

I love it! I read so many Japanese historical fiction novels growing up and this is right up my alley. Great artwork too Wink

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »

Amazingly stunning assets already. Ok, you guys are working for A Hat in Time so no wonder why! Really really cool project we've got here.  Gomez

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »

Thanks for sharing Ferr2D terrain.  We're not using Unity for our game but it's definitely interesting to see what they have in their Asset store.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

I love painted assets. Lots of work though!

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 06:47:13 AM »

I love it! I read so many Japanese historical fiction novels growing up and this is right up my alley. Great artwork too

Thankyou.

When you say historical fiction, do you mean things such as the tale of Genji for example, y'know, things based on real people but made more fantastical. Or do you mean more like the tales of susannoo and Izanagi/the tales of how ancient Japan was born etc?

Amazingly stunning assets already. Ok, you guys are working for A Hat in Time so no wonder why! Really really cool project we've got here.  Gomez

Why thankyou, much appreciated.
The rest of the team aren't working on Hat in Time, thats just me, I work as a 3D Artist usually, Kodama is my '2D Child' if you will.

I should be able to post a short update later this evening hopefully.

I love painted assets. Lots of work though!
Yeah its true, they take a while to perfect, its actually the reason I prefer to make 3D art, it takes just as much time to do, but I'm terrible at 2D art.

Regarding updates

I'm currently in Sweden and so I haven't had as much time to post as I'd have liked.
I actually wish there were other members from the forums over here as I've honestly got very little to do when I'm not working on Kodama.

Should be posting a new gif later tonight however.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic