Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:47:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Lakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!  (Read 36927 times)
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »

The game has a "new" look! I realized that I didn't like the graphics that I had made and decided to go back to the look of the original game.

It's still the same game, expect I also decided to forget the episodic format and just release all the chapters in bulk. I've never really liked episodic games so why do that myself. It took me a long time to admit all this to myself, but now I'm once again motivated and happy to work on this game! Smiley A lot of progress has been made and it's actually starting to feel like a real and fun game. Hope you like the news!

---

Lakeview Cabin is a horror comedy game, inspired by the slasher movie genre.
The original can be played here: http://gamejolt.com/games/action/lakeview-cabin/18469/

The goal of the game is to defeat the evil, using the tools provided in a creative way. The game will feature multiple solutions to win. And a lot of violence, nudity and fun!

Please feel free to ask questions, I probably missed a lot of things I could tell about. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:10:50 AM by Hypnohustla » Logged

jiitype
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »

This looks cool, I remember playing the first one some time ago. Love the unique setting!
It's always nice to see fellow finns here.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

Thanks ugabuga! Smiley

Today I worked on adding projectile weapons to the game. I tried to make it as customizable as I can, so in the future I can just change the sprite and the damage type for other weapons.
Of course there wont be many weapons in the game, but it's good to be prepared. Smiley

Also it feels great for me to achieve simple things like getting a bolt stick in the player.
I still feel like I'm the shittiest programmer here but that's the beauty of making games for me. Every day brings these dumb little problems that I enjoy to solve. Even if it takes me a whole day.
Unrelated news: I didn't wear any underwear today!  Coffee

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »

Fuck yes!
I loved the first game. So this is more of an extended reboot than a sequel? Like evil dead 2?

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »

Fuck yes!
I loved the first game. So this is more of an extended reboot than a sequel? Like evil dead 2?

Thanks! Well, there's a reason I'm calling it the "sequel" instead of just "2" Wink It's not a reboot though.
I think that good horror comes from the element of surprise, so I'm keeping the plot a secret for now.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »

Today's work:

My wife and son went away for the day so I decided to focus on the gore-department. My son is always climbing to my lap to watch what I'm working on, and I don't feel comfortable doing this stuff in front of him. Tongue

There won't be many places where you can get crushed in the game, but accidents do happen in a summer camp! So I thought it would be good to be prepared and have a crushing mechanic ready. Smiley I'm not yet happy with everything but at least it's easily tweakable now.
I also learned a lot about pool-managers for Unity! Handy stuff.

Here's the bits and pieces if you're interested:

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »

I realized how easily people break their legs in horror movies, so I added this:

Once again I'm not very happy with everything, but at least the mechanic is working!
If you fall from a high place, you will break your leg. You won't become completely useless though, as you can still pickup and throw stuff. And shoot a gun if one is available.
Your movement speed will be slightly slower and you can't climb stairs. Should make escaping the killer a bit more difficult. Smiley

I also added a new character. This handsome bastard!

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »

First test for dynamic lighting. Needs work. Tongue It would probably look better indoors...

I'll play around with it some more when I get the time. Smiley

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »

I made the blood stay on the ground. Great triumph for me. Smiley Didn't cause any lag, but I'll stress-test it more later though.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

Made the characters able to get their heads severed. There's so many ways to use a severed head but this is the most fun one.

I added a NSFW warning to the title. Just because I wouldn't want to get caught looking at these things at my work. Tongue

jiitype
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

I love that gif Grin This game is looking more insane day by day (in a good way).
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

I made the blood stay on the ground. Great triumph for me. Smiley Didn't cause any lag, but I'll stress-test it more later though.

those look like a ton of diffrent objects you added on stage. Maybe you could use bitmapData? Since it's made in flash. Isn't it?

Also, I would love to throw heads around. Looks fun.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 01:03:30 AM »

Yes, they're objects, but it's not made in flash. Smiley I'm using Unity to make a stand-alone game. I'm also looking for different options on how to make them, any suggestions? Currently using pooled objects.

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 02:19:26 AM »

The gibs are pretty funny, please have a puzzle where you have to stack severed heads then climb them or use them as a counterweight to move something else.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »

Yes, they're objects, but it's not made in flash. Smiley I'm using Unity to make a stand-alone game. I'm also looking for different options on how to make them, any suggestions? Currently using pooled objects.

Oh ok, Well in flash you could make a layer that you paint anything on. Without making the game calculating more object positions,... since the layer is always there. Not sure if you could do that in unity though.

Most games just fix the performance issues you could get by deleting the objects after an amount of time.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »

Yep I definitely have to look more into the blood. I don't want to destroy the objects since I want the playfield to be filled with the stuff when you're done.

The gibs are pretty funny, please have a puzzle where you have to stack severed heads then climb them or use them as a counterweight to move something else.

There will be some counterweight puzzles in the game, I don't care what you fill them with. Corpses should do fine.  Wink

Unrelated news, I added this little thing to the game:

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »

I forgot to write about a thing I added to the game last weekend!
Basically the expressions on the characters faces change according to the things they see. So now when you get hit and blood is spilling out, other guys will get sick from the sight of you.
There's also character specific reactions. For example, some characters are a couple and will change expressions accordingly to each others presence. Hopefully this adds a bit more depth to the "victims". But not too much, they're still just dumb characters in a stupid slasher movie. Smiley

Here they are, all happy from the guitar playing.

I also added pushable objects! I don't know yet how I'll use them in the game, but they basically cut the playground neatly into two areas. I'm sure this will come handy in some puzzles.

Neat placeholder graphics:

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »

Made a film-reel effect for switching characters. Adds to the movie feel. Smiley

I've also been working on the main enemy. A lot more versatile one this time around. I don't want to share any screenshots of that yet, because SUSPENSE!

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

I've had a bit of a creative block for the last couple of weeks but today I got something big done: drivable vehicles!

The boat is part of one of the big puzzles in the game and I'm really happy I got it done. It's a shitty feeling to open a project and just stare at it for hours and hours without actually doing anything. I even tried to work on a smaller Road House fan-game to get my mind cleared, but that didn't work out well. Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring problem and I can actually release this game one day!

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »

It's a shitty feeling to open a project and just stare at it for hours and hours without actually doing anything. I even tried to work on a smaller Road House fan-game to get my mind cleared, but that didn't work out well. Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring problem and I can actually release this game one day!

Sometimes starting is the hardest part, it's best to prioritize and leave yourself with a list of things to do at the end of every work session so the next time you re open the project you can just jump into the list. I've been doing this lately and it helps greatly with creative block.

The boat looks fun! Keep working on this I wanna play it!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic