Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:57:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Lakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!  (Read 36942 times)
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

Sometimes starting is the hardest part, it's best to prioritize and leave yourself with a list of things to do at the end of every work session so the next time you re open the project you can just jump into the list. I've been doing this lately and it helps greatly with creative block.

The boat looks fun! Keep working on this I wanna play it!

Thanks for the encouragement! I usually do write a list of things to do, I've just been neglecting that habit a bit too much lately. And yeah, I've worked on it a lot for the last few days, it seems I just need to take a week off from it once in a while to get my groove back on. So I'm sure this game will actually be released sometime in the future if I just keep myself mentally healthy. Smiley

primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »

This is nuts. Totally following this!

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

Yes! you have to keep yourself mentally healthy so you can create some gruesome ways for these characters to die! lol

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »

Wow, gruesome deaths are funny.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

The characters can now carry each other. Gentleman

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

Working on GUI stuff and thought it would be a great time to talk about one of my design goals: NO READING!
I'm a firm believer in that players don't need complicated tutorial messages to get started. We all managed to jump and kill that first Goomba back in the day. We didn't need a message to tell us which button to jump with. Of course there were only two buttons back then but still... We can't be that lazy or dumb these days can we?

My goal with the game is to give players a dollhouse like experience. "Here's some toys, go play around with them." I just hope to influence player behavior with item placement and other tiny level design choices. It should be fun to see how that goes!  Smiley And of course there's the possibility of an axe murderer lurking around somewhere but that's another story.

So in short: I hope you don't have to read even one word when playing my game! (Apart from the constant reminders to buy the damn game of course!) Wink
But reading is mostly overrated. I actually haven't read a word I've written here.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 05:27:08 AM »

Improved the blood effects some more. Just to make the hits have a bit more OOMPH

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »

Haven't been updating this log as often as I should have. I've been working on the stuff I'm revealing in the trailer that should be out within the next two months. So I kinda don't want to spoil any of that. On the same time I feel kinda bad about how much stuff I've been holding in secret, it's probably not smart for a relatively unknown developer like me.

So here's a human-pig hybrid to remedy that for a bit.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »

Day and night cycles are in. It's crazy how much just plain old darkness adds to the mood. The dynamic 2d lighting is also working like a charm, really like how it looks.
Any suggestions? Smiley

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:53 AM »

I'm still more excited for this than any other game I can think of (and I'm pretty good at thinking of things). I love your approach to story-telling.

Please keep yourself just mentally healthy enough to complete the game but not so much that you stop drawing nude pig-men.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »

That's good to hear. Smiley I'm always thinking that nobody even cares about the game.

In other news:
I'm trying to come up with more interesting stuff for the level, these guys are pretty boring currently and my head is a bit blank. I'm also thinking about puzzles, if anyone has ideas what they'd like to see, please don't be afraid to tell me. Smiley

I'm also working on a trailer for the game. Hoping to get it on Greenlight as soon as I can. With my luck tho, Valve will get rid of the system the same day I submit it. Tongue

Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »

Just quickly chiming in to say that I, too, am *super* excited to play this game Smiley I loved how much charm and personality you crammed into the original prototype.

Keep it up!  Beer!

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »

Just quickly chiming in to say that I, too, am *super* excited to play this game Smiley I loved how much charm and personality you crammed into the original prototype.

Keep it up!  Beer!

Thank you! Smiley Actually one of my main concerns is that I'm going to lose that charm. A lot of people liked the original, but most comments just said that it's "great". So I'm still kinda unsure what it is exactly that people liked. Tongue I really hope I can catch that same feeling but it's probably a bit unlikely. Smiley

Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »

I would recommend not thinking about how to retain the charm. If you overthink it, you'll probably lose it! Just be yourself! Smiley

For me, the original was great because of all of the "ambient" interactions the player could perform. It turned the game into a storytelling tool; I could stitch together a bunch of interactions and imagine a story for the character. The 70s slasher movie vibe also primed my brain to interpret the interactions in a cool way.

(That's kind of abstract, but I tried Smiley )

Also, maybe it doesn't make sense to chase the feeling of the original? I think a lot of the "feeling" of the original came from its small scope. By expanding upon it, you're turning it into something new. Maybe the feeling is changing with it?

Again, super abstract and fluffy... But whatever Smiley I will buy and play whatever it is this game ends up being Smiley

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »

Thanks, I feel a lot more confident now. Smiley The feel of the game is definitely changing, but the basics are there. I think it'll be alright. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 04:50:51 AM by Hypnohustla » Logged

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »

I decided to but the original and the new one side by side just for fun.

And I'm actually happy how much of the originals feel I've managed to save! Smiley

I'm also still excited for the whole day and night cycle. It adds that extra moodiness to the game that I was desperate to achieve.

Unrelated: It's my sons 3th birthday! He's the main reason I'm even making games. Someday I hope to tell him that I managed to provide food and clothes for him by drawing dicks.

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »

The game is now on Greenlight!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264238352
Here's also a trailer:

So I'm finally able to reveal that the game is episodic! Smiley Feels good the get it out of my system. If anyone has questions about it, go ahead! Smiley

collider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »

I'm sad. Steam only let me vote once.

Unrelated: It's my sons 3th birthday! He's the main reason I'm even making games. Someday I hope to tell him that I managed to provide food and clothes for him by drawing dicks.

I'm happy again.
Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »

The game is now on Greenlight!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264238352
Here's also a trailer:

So I'm finally able to reveal that the game is episodic! Smiley Feels good the get it out of my system. If anyone has questions about it, go ahead! Smiley

Amaaaazing  Hand Shake Left Shocked Hand Shake Right Addicted

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »

voted! That trailer was really nice, good luck on getting greenlit I don't think it'll be too hard with a game like this. Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic