Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:10:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Lakeview Cabin Collection (horror comedy) Graphical overhaul!  (Read 36926 times)
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2014, 03:35:34 AM »

I prefer the pixel art. I found the old style somewhat ugly, but it has something comical about it which made it work in the context of the game. While the vector look was maybe more unique, I think the pixels look a lot better.
Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 05:56:11 AM »

I prefer the pixel art. I found the old style somewhat ugly, but it has something comical about it which made it work in the context of the game. While the vector look was maybe more unique, I think the pixels look a lot better.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. The vector might be unique but I wasn't able to convey the feel I wanted with it.

azdak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:10 AM »

Seconded on liking the pixel art. The toon art was fine, but I think 1) the pixel art just looks better and 2) meshes much better with the theme of the game- it has a fun, "grown up" Chiller/Zombies Ate My Neighbors/NES Friday the 13th thing going on that I think works really well. Coffee
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »

Congrats on the release, will be buying soon

So will the upcoming episodes be the same as the ones in the original Collection trailer? City, sci-fi, suburbs, return to the cabins, etc.?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 01:52:51 AM »

Hello,

thank for your game, obviously crafted with love !
I also do really prefer the original pixel style. So, I fully agree with your choice.

I do really enjoy the game (and it took me a while to figure what was "lakeview cabin 2". Nice !). I have some remarks though (for future episodes):
The original game was much more powerful in terms of story, as we gradually got to wonder if the player was not the real monster (at least that's how I interpreted the apparitions). In episode 3 (and 2) we don't get as deeply involved. Also I didn't feel that the apparitions were brigging that much understanding to the situation (EDIT : after playing more, the story and apparitions gradually makes way more sense. Which is has intended I guess. Hmm, reading that interview also explain a lot of things on the change between both stories...).

I understand that episode 2 is meant to be short and simple. But maybe would there to some easy ways to flesh a bit its story out :
  • newspaper page mentioning disparitions. And maybe connecting police sirens to the search of a killer in the area, who might wrongly thougt to be the shotgun man
  • one of the caracter's girlfriend body or belongings could be found there. It could be a heart shaped necklace that the black guy is wearing too
  • some hints explaining why the guy who hang is tied to the sewers (did he invoke the thing, has a lost someone, was he somehow obliged to fed it...) If we follow the idea of the black guy having lost someone, the heart shaped necklace could be seen in the man's room
I guess that most of it could be conveyed through 2 or 3 carefully placed items, as long as we have a way to link them to the story (and eventually to 1 or 2 characters).

I have also found some bugs :
  • One of the girls got killed, and I severed its head from the body. When I came back, there was 2 heads : one on the wall (with the guts and all stuff), and another on the ground (where I had left it).
  • I killed a girl with the weather cock. When I tried to pick her body afer that, I also took a huge and distorted blood spatter sprite (it was 6 times as big as a character) with the body.
  • Fire is sometimes behaving in a weird way : I have seen the baby caught fire in a place the fire had died (maybe from flares). I have also had an instance of the corpse of one of my mates burning for ever : the corpse never turned black. The flames where gradually going down, but as soon as they stopped, the fire started again. I think that a flare (from the gun or the "crackers', I don't remember) was involved too
  • Another Fire bug : in a Youtube video, one of the flashlights is burning. The fire never stops, the flashlight can still be wield and can be switched on and off
  • The woodchipper was on with one of my mates' corps in it. When the baby turned the power off, the moving feet animation and chipper sound did not stop. The option to turn it on/off while in front of it, did not show though.
  • If you send the dog (alive) in the water, then jump into the water with a weapon, you can kill the dog (the sound of the dying dog is played, even though it should have drown already)

EDIT : as a side note, they way you are using music and sounds to tell what is going on is really powerfull and well done.

EDIT 2: whooo, nice unlockable !

EDIT 3: Added some more bugs.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:39:38 AM by flap » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic