Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:15:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMidora
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Midora  (Read 22296 times)
Mhyre
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »

Hello,

My name is Mhyre and I am 21 year old french developer with a bachelor in web design. I am currently directing a game project called Midora.

Midora is a love letter to the classic 2D RPG adventures like The Legend of Zelda or Mana that have frequented consoles and enamored audiences for generations. It has a charming world to explore, with new mechanics to learn, quests to fulfill, and all while hopefully tugging at your nostalgic heartstrings, Midora seeks to bring you the same tried and true feel of familiar titles, but with the grace of a new, modern experience, with in a beautiful, 100% pixel art setting.

STORY:
    Midora is a colorful world, crafted by an ancient architect with the elements as his tools. For an eternity after this creation, those elements populated the world, fashioning cultures and kingdoms all their own. They contested each other for land and prestige, and when the world was finally overwhelmed by the strife, the architect came back down to seal the elements away, preserving the world for its lesser inhabitants.

This harmony lasted for centuries, until even the eldest tribes had only vague memories of the conflict and its participants.

The town of Seawind will be the first to remember the Inferno in earnest.

Enter Snow, the lead character of this adventure. A young girl growing up on the edge of Seawind, she embarks on what starts as just a simple chore, only to uncover the catalyst in a war as old as the world she lives in.

On her journey, she'll encounter help and obstacles in various forms. Elderly town matrons, kings, long extinct races, burly blacksmiths, and the living elements themselves will play a role in Midora's newest story, but it falls to Snow herself to see it to the end.

KEY INFORMATIONS:

• Original idea around late 2011, serious development started in April 2013.
    • Release date: Late 2014.
    • Targeted platforms:
      • PC
      • Mac
      • Linux

The team:

Targeted platforms:
      • PC
      • Mac
      • Linux

Key features:
      • Sword fighting
      • Water powers
      • Dungeon crawling
      • Quests
      • Puzzle solving
      • Alchemy
      • Crafting
      • Runes and various enchants
      • Other magic powers

SCREENSHOTS:

Sorry about the small ones, they are recent work shown in the weekly newsletter!

Bones of Pike, a legendary dragon who died in the back of a cave during the ancient war.

Bombing a cow, because why not?

Pike's resurrection.

Various screenshots

Alchemy UI test and some cauldron animation

We have a demo and a kickstarter planned, both will be available around late February. The new website is under construction but you can subscribe to the weekly newsletter which is sent every friday.

That's all for now, hope you guys enjoy it!
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:13:09 PM by Mhyre » Logged

There is beauty in fire when all lights are out
    DarkWanderer
    Level 3

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »

Great to see Midora on here. Really looking forward to devolopment updates Beer!
    Dan_Tsukasa
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:44:01 PM »

Oh wow those screenshots look great.

Loving the art style, is movement tile based too, just 4 directions?

Maybe its just me, but being able to see somethings effectively made up of multiple 'tiles' sort of bugs me, I think you'd be good to make some areas that're round and less straight edged, more scenery than areas you'd go to though, that does sort of go against the 'old style', but maybe experiment and see how it looks.

How many people are working on this? Is it just you?

Tiny Crit, perhaps make the colour between the walkable ground and the edge a little less obvious, its quite a contrast now and I think players would still easily enough be able to tell whats what, perhaps a gradiant from that colour to the normal ground.

Mhyre
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »

Oh wow those screenshots look great.

Thanks!

Loving the art style, is movement tile based too, just 4 directions?
    Maybe its just me, but being able to see somethings effectively made up of multiple 'tiles' sort of bugs me, I think you'd be good to make some areas that're round and less straight edged, more scenery than areas you'd go to though, that does sort of go against the 'old style', but maybe experiment and see how it looks.

Yeah, Midora's art and gameplay is mostly inspired by TLoZ: The Minish Cap. 4 directions, tile-based, 2D "weird" perspective art and similar game mechanics (sword fighting, dungeon crawling, bosses, quests, etc..). More about that soon Smiley

How many people are working on this? Is it just you?

Whoops, I knew I forgot something! I always do.. team added under "Key informations".

Tiny Crit, perhaps make the colour between the walkable ground and the edge a little less obvious, its quite a contrast now and I think players would still easily enough be able to tell whats what, perhaps a gradiant from that colour to the normal ground.

The cave is our newest level so yeah, we're still trying new things with the tiles, levels from the screenshots are temporary and just tile tests Smiley

Rat Casket
    Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »

Holy crap this looks pretty.

Conker534
    « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:16:23 PM »

I love the art-work!
    Mhyre
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »

We are looking to change the main grass color which looks too "green".

What do you guys think of this?

Left is current grass color, right is the new one.

Rat Casket
    Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »

Its pretty damn bright. What if it was a little more blue instead?

jean
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

Beautiful graphics!
    DarkWanderer
    Level 3

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

The original Grass looks fine to me, if anything it should be darker.
    Mhyre
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »

Its pretty damn bright. What if it was a little more blue instead?

That wouldn't work, we have a blue-ish kind of grass for the forest already. We need to define the main grass color when it's sunny because we have a day/night cycle coming up.

The original Grass looks fine to me, if anything it should be darker.

Could you give me your thoughts on this one?

DarkWanderer
    Level 3

View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »

Looks perfect Hand Thumbs Up Right
    So this will have a day/night cycle huh? Will that affect the in game world? The thing I loved about LoZ Oracle of Seasons was seeing the same map with different things going on dependent on each season. It gave me the idea that if I were to ever one day make my own Zeldalike, Interesting mechanics/features/world events could center around a day cycle between Dawn, Day, Sunset, & Night(feel free to steal that idea Well, hello there!).
    Pemanent
    Level 4

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

Jesus, the grass looks fine.

new mechanics to learn
    Like what?

yes yes yes the game looks nice, but what do you actually do in the game? It is a game after all, the cornerstone of a game is the interactivity. You've said almost nothing about the actual game.

Games which sell themselves based on art are just as rampant in the AAA scene as they are in the indie scene. Sorry for the negative-nancy post, and I'm not specifically calling you out, I'm just tired of devlogs that give almost no information about the actual game.

ShinnyMetal
    Level 0

I can makes musics!

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »

Wow this is gorgeous! I did notice the lack of the word "composer" on the team. Is that something you haven't set in place yet? I'm sure that there well be plenty of people interested in nabbing this gig. Like myself

Mhyre
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »

Looks perfect Hand Thumbs Up Right
    So this will have a day/night cycle huh? Will that affect the in game world? The thing I loved about LoZ Oracle of Seasons was seeing the same map with different things going on dependent on each season. It gave me the idea that if I were to ever one day make my own Zeldalike, Interesting mechanics/features/world events could center around a day cycle between Dawn, Day, Sunset, & Night(feel free to steal that idea Well, hello there!).

We have lots of ideas to play around the day/night cycle thing. Fire beings that would be stronger during the day, parts of a dungeon you could only unlock/visit during the night, puzzles that would involve playing with light coming from the ceiling (harder at night), etc.. Just lots of lots of ideas, but we're not gonna spoil everything just yet!

Jesus, the grass looks fine.

new mechanics to learn
    Like what?

yes yes yes the game looks nice, but what do you actually do in the game? It is a game after all, the cornerstone of a game is the interactivity. You've said almost nothing about the actual game.

Games which sell themselves based on art are just as rampant in the AAA scene as they are in the indie scene. Sorry for the negative-nancy post, and I'm not specifically calling you out, I'm just tired of devlogs that give almost no information about the actual game.

I can understand that. I am new on the forums so I only posted certain things to see the initial response of the community. More infos about the game will be posted in due time!

Wow this is gorgeous! I did notice the lack of the word "composer" on the team. Is that something you haven't set in place yet? I'm sure that there well be plenty of people interested in nabbing this gig. Like myself

There was a composer on the team before but, sadly, we couldn't work together anymore. I have been looking for another composer recently but haven't found anyone yet, so I'll be sure to look into your stuff Smiley

Pemanent
    Level 4

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »

Cool. :D
    The art really is great, way better than I can do!

DarkWanderer
    Level 3

View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

We have lots of ideas to play around the day/night cycle thing. Fire beings that would be stronger during the day, parts of a dungeon you could only unlock/visit during the night, puzzles that would involve playing with light coming from the ceiling (harder at night), etc.. Just lots of lots of ideas, but we're not gonna spoil everything just yet!
    This is awesome dude, I am looking forward to this game very much so.
    Mhyre
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

Hello! Here are some news about the project.

Right now, you can create an account to later use on the forums and redeem your copy of the game or even beta access. Forums were planned to open on Sunday but we had technical issues with the servers, so they will take a little longer but should pop up soon enough.

Screenshot saturday: Smiling boat WIP.

adnzzzzZ
    Level 1

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

@o@ this game looks so good I'm in love

rundown
    Level 5

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »

This pixelart is so good. Can't wait to see some gameplay.

Pages: [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic