Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:29:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJudith [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Judith [Finished]  (Read 56162 times)
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »

I know I'm new here, but how are you guys getting so excited over some screenshots, a name and some vague hints? All I see is a muddy brown room with pixelated textures that even I could have knocked up. The fact it's a custom ray caster is neat, and I applaud making one for the pedagogical reasons, but it's not like that magically makes a game better in some way (except in RAW INDIE CRED, obviously).

Or is it just excitement that Terry & increpare are making a game, and therefore awesome? It's hard to tell.
increpare
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »

The fact it's a custom ray caster is neat
It's not one we've built from scratch; we're taking an open-source one as a starting point (Terry has made several significant modifications to it already).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:10:52 AM by increpare » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 01:53:07 PM »

I know I'm new here, but how are you guys getting so excited over some screenshots, a name and some vague hints?

I think it is the prospect of a 3D indie game which are somewhat rare coupled with the fact that it will be a 3D adventure game. That's just how I feel though, I don't know about everyone else.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »

I'm somewhere in between on the interest level.

Why something being 3D in the indie community is fantastic compared to being 3D in the industry is boring and generic is sort of lost on me.

On the other hand...

The atmosphere, especially with things like this,

looks incredibly creepy and awesome.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »

Im interested in seeing what kind of game you guys can pull off.  As for the excitement, its good to build up lots of excitement and encouragement for the devs, and i think it helps build the community as well.  I like seeing excitement over all the new games coming out of tigsource.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »

I know I'm new here, but how are you guys getting so excited over some screenshots, a name and some vague hints? All I see is a muddy brown room with pixelated textures that even I could have knocked up. The fact it's a custom ray caster is neat, and I applaud making one for the pedagogical reasons, but it's not like that magically makes a game better in some way (except in RAW INDIE CRED, obviously).

Or is it just excitement that Terry & increpare are making a game, and therefore awesome? It's hard to tell.

Personally, my interest in this project stems from the demos that came out of increpare and Terry's first work with this raycaster. I really like seeing these in motion- the download is in the first post if anyone missed it. I've always been interested in the idea of a game that used a real-time raycaster, and this is the first I've seen. Also judging by work these two have done in the past, I think the currently mysterious gameplay and narrative parts of the project will be more important than the visuals in the end.

I also think it's important to be supportive of one another, like little happy bees. Wait, was that corny? I meant hornets. Yes, angry but mutually supportive hornets.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 01:55:28 AM »

Why something being 3D in the indie community is fantastic compared to being 3D in the industry is boring and generic is sort of lost on me.

I didn't mean that at all. I meant that it is just interesting to see a 3D adventure game coming out of the indie community (not that that hasn't happened just that it is usually a rarity). I am more intrigued as you said by the atmosphere of the screenshots. The scant details that have been provided allow my mind to wander wildly as to what the game will entail as well...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 02:11:57 AM »

Well, 3D first-person games in the mainstream industry are the norm. So an indie will avoid this and make a sidescrolling metroidvania instead. However, within the indie community, the sidescroller is the norm. So if an indie makes a 3D first-person game, he has out-indied the indies. It's a double-indie.

However, you have just gone against those in this thread, who are going against the indie community at large, who are going against the mainstream games industry (who are going against the traditional media establishment). You are the SUPER INDIE!

Corpus
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »

Looks awesome! I love the fact that you guys are meeting up in real life, building an indie empire in Dublin Tears of Joy
increpare
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »

Looks awesome! I love the fact that you guys are meeting up in real life, building an indie empire in Dublin Tears of Joy
heh.

We had our second day at it today.  Got a reasonable amount done.  The project is going to take longer than either of us maybe initially thought (though it's blessedly limited in size...more a matter of the details taking longer to work out than anticipated).
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 03:15:07 AM »

Why is it that even if you double the time you think is reasonable for a project to take it still doubles that time one more time, so that everything takes four times the time that you estimated... Ah, you get what I mean Huh?

Btw, this looks really nice. Have you thought of adding a weak noise filter and maybe some darkness in the corners of the screen?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 06:17:16 AM »

I'm really looking forward to what you will come up with. A Terry/increpare cooperation, how can that not be good.

Also I request the inevitable gamma slider; the screenshots are fine on my laptop, but on my CRT I can hardly see anything.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »

Why is it that even if you double the time you think is reasonable for a project to take it still doubles that time one more time, so that everything takes four times the time that you estimated... Ah, you get what I mean Huh?

It's so true Cry

Btw, this looks really nice. Have you thought of adding a weak noise filter and maybe some darkness in the corners of the screen?

Thanks! Actually, we did a whole load of messing around with filters the last day - we had a staticy effect that looked pretty good that we considered using for the whole game... but right now though it's not that clear how we're going to incorporate all or any of the rendermode experiments into the actual narrative we've got going without it all feeling a bit tacked on Sad (The original idea is that there were a lot of different areas that had a different feeling, i.e. different lighting, different rendermodes, different filters and all that)

I'm really looking forward to what you will come up with. A Terry/increpare cooperation, how can that not be good.

Also I request the inevitable gamma slider; the screenshots are fine on my laptop, but on my CRT I can hardly see anything.

Ohh, good idea, will try to keep that in mind Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »

We're both making a big, final push to finish Judith this weekend! Give out to us if we don't! Beer!

FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »

We're both making a big, final push to finish Judith this weekend! Give out to us if we don't! Beer!
That's awesome! I can't wait to play it, it looks intriguingly creepy!

You are the SUPER INDIE!
Evil HUZZAH  Evil
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 10:52:06 AM »

Eagerly anticipating, I've been digging through you guys' old projects and I'm interested to see what a collaboration will bring.

increpare
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 05:40:12 PM »

I had a session with Terry on this tonight.  We're just finished now.

Download

Windows (11MB)
OSX 10.5+ (11MB)
Source (73KB)

Controls

up/down/left/right/space
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:02:48 PM by stephen lavelle » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »

That was... fucking creepy. Epileptic

I just wanted to go to bed, then I saw you posted this. I felt compelled to finish it in one sitting. An excellent piece of interactive storytelling (even if I'll probably have troubles going to sleep now). I enjoyed how the "archaeological" style of storytelling was intertwined with a first-hand retelling. At first it was a bit difficult to tell apart who was who, but I caught on quickly enough. At any rate, I take it we're not supposed to come to any specific conclusions, but rather find our own interpretation?

It's a bit of a pity that all those rendermode experiments didn't go into the game, but in the end you're right that it would have felt tacked on. The atmosphere is very immersive as it is, so I'm not complaining. Good use of music, by the way.

Also this must the the first game in this raycasting style I've seen that wasn't a dumb shooter. It's interesting how certain styles of visuals are so rigidly linked to modes of gameplay in our minds, and I applaud you for doing something completely different within this framework. Was Gravity Bone a part of the inspiration for doing this?
FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 08:12:18 PM »

Really cool and atmospheric.

Movement was weird, though. Kind of felt myself wanting to know more, but I suppose that's the point.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »

Quite beautifully creepy. Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic