Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:09:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLet's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Let's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons  (Read 21519 times)
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:45 AM »

Posting to keep updated, it was about time i subscribed to the thread. I'm digging the freshness of things!

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 05:16:18 AM »

this is looking great, excited to play a demo version of it when you get to that point.

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »

Howdy-ho Campers!

This update brings with it a new cleaner look to the Steamburger Studios website

Feel free to PM, twitter, or contact us within the site if you have any feedback about the new design.

Music
We are all but signed on the dotted line with our new musical composer! He brings a ton of enthusiasm and talent to the project, and I for one am super stoked to hear what's in store for the world of Let's Go Camping!

Creatures
Our first monster is allllllmost ready. The Glob. A slime mob with spunk and root motion driven animations. He's still lacking animation for Attacks, Deaths, and Runs, but those should be along shortly. Can't wait to get an in-game video up to show him off here in more depth. These come in a slew of flavors that will deal or take certain types of damage. (Arrows lit on fire will kill the Ice Glob more quickly, and so on.) Right now we have Normal, Fire, Ice, and Poison Globs.

We also have BIG Globs that split up into two normal sized globs when killed. You can kind of see them in the back here:

TO-DO
Current goals for us right now are nailing the combat and player movements with special regards to the dungeons. For any FPS, how the player moves and feels when fighting the enemy is paramount to its success; it literally defines the game. So with that in mind we are putting our tents down and digging deep into the caves below to build the core of our game: Fighting scary things in the deep, and taking their treasure.

Kickstarter
We recently (and suddenly) got invited onto an amazing secret project that will give us a big boost in free marketing. To that end we are holding back on our kickstarter until we have more information that we can share. This should be very soon, and so we are penciling in Monday March 31st as our kickstart date.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

If that blob was rushing at me I would be scared shitless. No joke.
locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 04:30:01 AM »

Man, this looks so awesome.

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »

Oh my god I LOVE THIS! I'm working on a LowPoly game too! This style is really, really good!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »

(offtopic)

Hey methozoid, why don't you link to your devlog in your signature? Smiley
methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 05:05:26 AM »

(offtopic)

Hey methozoid, why don't you link to your devlog in your signature? Smiley

Well, it's not in showable phase, just testing things out Smiley But as soon as I have something to show, I'll surely make a devlog

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 05:32:42 AM »

This looks cool! Love the lowpoly style and theme. Nice slimes too  Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »

@methozoid: cool cool, good luck!

Lowpoly is the new pixel art.
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »

lol following!

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 09:34:55 AM »

love this!  The whole project looks great Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone! It's pure rocket fuel for the ol' motivation tanks. Coffee

(offtopic)
@Methozoid SECONDED! Show us your works!!

I agree with the sentiment that lowpoly is the next pixel art for indie games in the coming year or 4. I've been inspired by this thread at polycount for YEARS, so this has been a long time coming for me personally.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »

AMAZING, following.

methozoid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:58 AM »

Hey!

Can I ask about your terrain making process? Because I use Blender with proportial edit on, then just forming the terrain with Smooth and Random falloff then apply Smooth and/or Decimate modifiers but yours looks much better :O

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:12 AM »

I agree with the sentiment that lowpoly is the next pixel art for indie games in the coming year or 4. I've been inspired by this thread at polycount for YEARS, so this has been a long time coming for me personally.
Having said that, you make flatshading look good
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »

Hey!

Can I ask about your terrain making process? Because I use Blender with proportial edit on, then just forming the terrain with Smooth and Random falloff then apply Smooth and/or Decimate modifiers but yours looks much better :O

I start with a plane, add a bunch load of segments, shape it into place and then put down some basic vertex colors and a UVW map. Next I render it out to a texture, 1024*1024, then I add some simple noise and blur filters to it in photoshop for randomness.

Now here comes the fun part!

Apply the texture and then decimate/optimize the shit out of it. Go as low as you can until you hit that fine line between lowpoly and unplayable mess. This adds some random splits and interesting texture tears that look cool in lowpoly. Next I export it to Unity for the final bits of magic.

Set the normals and tangents to calculate at 0.

Looking good! But not quite there...

Select the texture in Unity: Filter Mode = Point Override Max Size = 128, Truecolor.

Down-sizing the texture is that kick in the pants that produces the magical lowpoly look on my terrain. Check it:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »

Hey, this looks cool. Following.

P.S. Any melee weapons, or ability to use a melee attack while you have your bow out?

brettchalupa
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »

This is looking solid, digging the style. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing how it goes.  Grin
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »

Hey, this looks cool. Following.

P.S. Any melee weapons, or ability to use a melee attack while you have your bow out?

Thanks!

Yes! There will be a few items and weapons outside of the bow to help you address various combat problems, such as too-close, too-many, and too-big. The early video and gifs do not reflect the current power and speed of the bow. It is much faster, and shoots further these days. The bow can shoot different types of arrows, which will aid you in art of stealth or come-at-me-bro archery (whichever floats your boat!)

Since the bow is our primary weapon, the gameplay will be tailored around it. Except for when we arbitrarily decide to hate on the player. For reasons. Gentleman

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic