Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:14:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLet's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Let's Go Camping! = LowPoly3D + Camping + Dungeons  (Read 21653 times)
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »

Good luck guys, I like the art !
Yes, you may miss to give the player an opportunity to project.
What is the game gonna look like ? "Don't starve" ? "Minecraft" ?
Explore the world, dungeon crawl, craft, survive ?
Try to attach to something bigger for players like
"Don't starve" meets "Arrow"... you're gonna hate surviving on this island !
Anyway, I backed the project. I like the art. As I said Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

The bow and arrow mechanic reminded me of the original Thief game. Yes please!
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »

This made me remember seeing a video a while back on Youtube... is this an early prototype of the same game?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »

Last time I checked, Texas wasn't in Lithuania Wink
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »

This made me remember seeing a video a while back on Youtube... is this an early prototype of the same game?

Nope! Different game. Although, we both coincidentally came to be around the same time with a similar style. Let's Go Camping! has much less focus on managing player survival at that level, and is more about the exploration, combat, and dungeon crawling.

The bow and arrow mechanic reminded me of the original Thief game. Yes please!
Theif 2 was my JAM! Such a great use of bows and sneaking. Theif 1 was before my time, but I remember playing the demo for 2 over and over, and that time I upgraded from 32 to 64mb of ram and the load times cut in half. Mind blowing!

...great feedback

Yes! Awesome feedback, I've been trying out some pitch lines ever since you posted. I think I've got a couple of good ones to put up there with our next update. Thanks for the support Peous!

We're all the way up to 52 backers and $1,190, and we've been staff picked! Next week will have a big update to tackle the great feedback we've gotten in our first week, as well as showing off more gameplay with a new video.

Today we are featured on Games Asylum, with a lovely front page Q & A where I spill the beans on an unannounced weapon.

And just the other day we had an article up on the bit pulse.

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »

Howdy Hey Campers!

On Monday afternoon I put up the Steam Greenlight page, and we're just crushing it with Yes votes and positive comments. Amazing!

The Kickstarter page was tweaked and updated early this week, to in response to the feedback we got in. I think it looks and feels a lot better than before, so a big thank you to those who wrote in with suggestions.

Here's a

and some new promotional images hosted on imgur

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »

Shooting an arrow sets it on fire, and it in turn can set trees on fire...

FUCK

YES!
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »

Shooting an arrow sets it on fire, and it in turn can set trees on fire...

FUCK

YES!

I know, right?

And, we're still just CRUSHING it on Greenlight  My Word!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »

BTW, since you guys are using flatshading this article might be particularly relevant for you (ignore the baity "sexist" headline - the science is interesting).
tapmybuttons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:36 AM »

Fantastic art direction, cant wait to see more.
Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »

Howdy Campers!

As of this writing we are #86 OF 1,642 on Steam Greenlight voting! Hand Clap

The Kickstarter is basically over and done, and while she did not reach her goal, we are encouraged and driven by our amazing achievements and gains nearly everywhere else. We’ll simply continue on marching, and look for different ways to fund the game...

...Such as this amazing limited edition Let’s Go Camping! T-Shirt! for just $19.97 + Shipping on tfund. ~20 days to grab one, so act fast! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

With all that campaigning behind me, the next post will have game content,

, promise!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »

Who, Me?

Why's it so empty in here?

Congrats on getting Greenlit guys. Looking forward to seeing more of the game!

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 06:05:45 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, I've been trying to type up a new post with a bunch of stuffs, but in all the excitement, I keep adding more features and ruining my update!  Cheesy

But yes, we have been greenlit!  Beer!

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

Hail to Thee, Glorious Campers!

We are Greenlit!  Tears of Joy

Big-Big thanks to everyone who voted us in, it’s unbelievably relieving to have a solid end-goal to strive for now.

We also reached our tFund t-shirt sales goal! Still a few days left to claim one!

Let’s Go Camping Development Update:

Exposure? Why yes, exposure is now a legitimate player state of non-wellbeing. When exposure is at critical, the player moves slowly, labored heavily with each step, running and zoom-aiming is impossible. To cure this, you need to get to camp ASAP or eat something. As the system is fine-tuned further with fullscreen effects and other clues that exposure is soon reaching the upper limits, I’ll be removing the meter bar completely. The goal is to have as few classic “UI” elements as possible.

Swimming! It’s late spring and the pools are warming up fast here in the south, and that means it’s time to jump in and go for a swim! With swimming now a fully functional player-state, it opens the doors to crazy-hard water temples…. uh, I mean, a more immersive experience when river-side camping!

Speaking of camping, the mechanics for camping are undergoing a big face lift. The old way allowed you to place your tent or campfire anywhere at anytime, and it would just erase the old spot and update to the new one. Now you must first take down your old stuff, before setting up at the next location. To strike camp, walk up close to a bit of camp and look directly at it; when the dashed-circle appears, you can hold down the camp button and start striking your gear. There’s still lots to do with the camping mechanic, but the framework is holding up strong, and we’re ready to expand! Also, there's a new tent model! Right now it will be a completely random primary color, but there will be a kind of customization system in at some point before launch.

Orange sphere indicates the "warmth" zone, which reduces exposure over time.

It takes roughly 2.5 seconds to strike a bit of camp.

Now that your tent stays where you put it, what if you get lost? No worries, as your handy-dandy compass will always point the way back to your tent! (Also, you could just get killed, or quit the game and respawn there) What happens if you don't have a tent setup at the time of your demise? Each zone has a guest information kiosk near its primary entrance, where you can re-spawn in case of "doh!"

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »

Good luck guys, I like the art !
Yes, you may miss to give the player an opportunity to project.
What is the game gonna look like ? "Don't starve" ? "Minecraft" ?
Explore the world, dungeon crawl, craft, survive ?
Try to attach to something bigger for players like
"Don't starve" meets "Arrow"... you're gonna hate surviving on this island !
yeah tell people they're going to hate playing your game it will increase your success.
jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:01 AM »

Love the game.

The tent compass reminds me of the waypoints in Skyrim that told you where you needed to go. A lot of the time, it turned Skyrim into "follow-the-arrow" instead of "navigate through this beautiful wilderness". Did you consider not having a compass, and forcing the player to remember landmarks, etc. to find their way back to camp?
skittlefuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »

Love the growing effect, it adds so much. Looking forward to seeing more!

Buddy_DoQ
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »

Love the game.

The tent compass reminds me of the waypoints in Skyrim that told you where you needed to go. A lot of the time, it turned Skyrim into "follow-the-arrow" instead of "navigate through this beautiful wilderness". Did you consider not having a compass, and forcing the player to remember landmarks, etc. to find their way back to camp?

Thanks!

So yeah, that was one of the schemes we discussed early on; just give the player a rough map with landmarks and let them at it. Eventually we decided that players should at least be able to find their campsite without becoming overly frustrated and lost. Especially now that you are required to keep tabs on it for re-collecting. The compass is not going to tell you how to find your next "objective," only how to get back to the place where exposure goes away (fire), and the only place to save your progress (tent).

The compass also counts as an item in-hand, which means you won't have your bow out should you be suddenly attacked.

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »

Nice! Sounds like a good solution.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »

what if
okay