Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:49:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCoffee Simulator 2015
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Coffee Simulator 2015  (Read 9183 times)
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »

Latest news In a nutshell: The game has a new and improved version on Kongregate, App Store and Google Play!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sturdyhelmet/coffee-simulator-2015

http://appstore.com/coffeesimulator2015

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sturdyhelmetgames.coffeesimulator2015

Coffee Simulator 2015 features:
- Super unrealistic physics
- Cool new cartoon graphics that make you laugh until you barf pure caffeine
- The legendary creepy face that will haunt your nightmares makes a triumphant return
- Leaderboards
- Achievements (Currently only on Android)

Old prototype version:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sturdyhelmet/coffee-simulator-2014
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:41:32 AM by antionio » Logged

Lily
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

I just get a blank black screen with "coffeesimulator2014" in white at the top.

No loading bar or anything..
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »

I just get a blank black screen with "coffeesimulator2014" in white at the top.

No loading bar or anything..

Hmm, it should work at least with Firefox&Chrome on Windows&Mac. It needs the unity web player addon but it should also offer installation right away.

frik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »

Alt+Enter doesn't work to make the game fullscreen? What's the shortcut? Otherwise simply a mouse-look would help.

I find the idea and the theme nice. Also interacting with all items on the desktop is funny thanks to physic simulation.

But the "hand" feels like in Trespasser (1998):

Facepalm

Maybe you can record a video how you play the game and upload an animated GIF. If I move the hand very slowly I got as best attempt 2.7% and the rest was on the floor as the hand was spinning in all awkward positions like in Trespasser - looks funny but doesn't help with the game process Wink
Hexapod
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:16 AM »

This is awesome, getting some serious Surgeon Simulator vibes from it! I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded some footage of your game and uploaded it to YouTube. I can't wait to see where this goes in the future, especially with brewing coffee! Grin

Video link if anyone is interested  -

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:49:14 AM »

This is awesome, getting some serious Surgeon Simulator vibes from it! I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded some footage of your game and uploaded it to YouTube. I can't wait to see where this goes in the future, especially with brewing coffee! Grin

Video link if anyone is interested  -

Of course it's okay to upload some footage. Glad you like it! Smiley

Next version is coming soonish, I'm still evaluating Unity Pro features.

Hexapod
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:54 AM »

Of course it's okay to upload some footage. Glad you like it! Smiley

Next version is coming soonish, I'm still evaluating Unity Pro features.

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for it!
quigibrough
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »

Unity webplayer is currently broken in at least chrome_32 and will be broken in the upcoming version of firefox. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/223672-Chrome-version-32-not-displaying-webplayer Easy way to fix this is to just resize the window but it's really bad. I can't believe Unity just let it go away like this.

I think you are using the wrong way to move the hand because it passes through almost everything. It wasn't too hard to figure out the controls but I didn't necessarily like trying to pick up the coffee and pour it into my mouth. The grasping didn't seem satisfying either and then the cup started tilting based on the direction I moved my mouse and I was confused. I didn't play a lot of surgeon simulator and got bored of Octodad after the stealth missions started so I may not be your core audience. I only spent like 8 minutes or so on it though. I spent more time wrecking the desk than doing the coffee thing.  

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38513.msg990487#msg990487 if you want to spend a little time to give me some feedback. Even if it's just criticizing why my photos or video don't entice you enough to want to try it out.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:01:04 PM by quigibrough » Logged

FGRaptor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »

I didn't really like Surgeon Simulator beyond its novelty value, but this has a similar vibe, so I can see a market for it.

I'm not sure what else to say since you only mention you want to know if it has a future or not... it probably has, since it has novelty value, but I don't know if anyone would pay for it. Doing surgeries is fun, drinking coffee though? I don't know. If brewing is in it, then maybe it would be more fun.

It's awkward at the moment though, unlike Surgeon Simulator. You can only pick up the mug and nothing else, collision is strange, and the coffee spills even without doing anything. Even without moving the mouse the mug wobbles around like crazy. In Surgeon Simulator I instantly knew what to do and easily made "success" since it was straight forward and not wobbly and I could easily rip out some bones and organs. Here it feels awkward so far. Also, realy creepy bug (you have been warned): Click only if you dare

As I said though, if it's polished up it might get some fans.

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone, they have been noted Smiley It's really important for a developer to get some feedback. I've seen a couple of great let's play videos already on YouTube, keep 'em coming!

I've had a rough couple of weeks so I can't promise when the next version is out, today was the first day in over a week I got stuff done. Also I procrastinated a few hours testing the awesome Oculus Rift I borrowed from work. Nevertheless..

..the next version will include the following:
- Improved controls (less randomness, more solid physics)
- Improved graphics
- Grab also other items than the mug
- Maybe a standalone build for Windows/Mac

I'm designing the upcoming coffee brewing phase to include grinding coffee beans, screwing around with water and a coffee maker. It should be included in future versions and it will affect how the game gives you scores. Wait for it...

Eljugganot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:44:06 AM »

I will wait for it. That sounds pretty fun.
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

As promised I updated the game to v0.3 with improved graphics, controls and physics. If you aren't seeing the new version try to refresh the web page. There are still physics bugs though so bear with me (the mug seems to sometimes "explode" when you hit it with the hand).

Unfortunately standalone build for desktop was not possible yet. I had some problems making the gameplay feel similar when compared to the "pretty good" web version so you have to wait that a bit longer.

Updated controls:
Mouse L - Lower hand
Mouse R - Rotate hand
W - Grab things

http://coffee.lovebo.at

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:17:13 AM by antionio » Logged

Corgon
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »

Tried it and couldn't get my hand to turn which made it pretty frustrating, also saw the post about updated key bindings a little late. Maybe include a reference to them in the game, small help screen or something like that.

Apart from that it looks like it could be fun.
Agent Echo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »

It's cute, and I can see it getting entertaining. I was a bit put off by the placement behavior of the hand though; when my fingers appeared to perfectly grip the handle the cup didn't register it at all, but when my fingers were going through the cup and I was knuckle deep in ceramic it acted as though I had just nudged it. A bit confusing!
zavist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »

Managed to slap the coffee onto my monitor. I approve.
antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »

So... I managed to waste a couple of weeks not getting anything done for Coffee Simulator v0.4. I needed the rest so no harm done there.

I also took part in Procedural Death Jam with a friend and failed to get the jam game finished :D Also my Unity Pro trial expired and I don't have the funds to purchase it yet. I will try to get the monthly subscription going soon so I don't have to release dumbed down versions anymore. Really liking the Pro versions o far.

HeuGamer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

Lol. This was great, the man did give me a scare though. xD. There should probably be a mouse sensitivity slider, cause the movement of the hand felt slow for me. Other than that, it was  pleasurable and great so far!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

I found the controls to be pretty obtuse, I'm afraid.  Didn't realize I had to right click AND move the mouse to rotate.  Never played surgeon simulator before so that may be my fault.  Good for a few laughs but not sure I'm seeing it really go anywhere?  At least it's good practice work for Unity!

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:27 AM »

I was surprised how much interest this little prototype game managed to gather in a couple of weeks I actively developed it. A big thank you for everyone who played it and made awesome and funny Youtube videos! I had a blast watching some of those and especially reading the comments :D

Here's RockLeeSmile's take on it

(Holy smokes almost 12k viewers)

Unfortunately this game is on a hiatus for now and I'm actively continuing the development of my other game. I realize some of you have waited for a big update but the reality is I can only develop one game at a time especially now since my wife has been ill. The devlog for the other game can be found here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35506.msg1020495#msg1020495

antionio
Level 0

A ridiculous man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »

Ok, so I have to admit that I lied a bit. I did continue the development of this game behind the scenes. I did not add features, but instead I polished it a lot and renamed it Coffee Simulator 2015. So there you have it, a brand new Coffee Simulator for the year 2015!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sturdyhelmet/coffee-simulator-2015

Coffee Simulator 2015 features:
- Super unrealistic physics
- Cool new cartoon graphics that make you laugh until you barf pure caffeine
- The legendary creepy face that will haunt your nightmares makes a triumphant return
- Kongregate leaderboards

Also...
It's coming for the iPad! Yes! It's true! Wait for it... Wink

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic