Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:36:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndustry cautionary tales
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Industry cautionary tales  (Read 7748 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:18 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746314
Duke nukem forever

(english youtube caption)
remember me (basically a big open world final fantasy like game)

(also happen in product that works and sell loads)

more soon

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:50:06 AM »

Master of Doom is one of my top favorite books regarding video game history. It paints a delightful, vibrant picture of how id software came to be, and the events that led to the infamous Daikatana. It is one of the rare times in my life where I personally connected with book, thanks to how the story is delivered.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »

Speaking of Daikatana ..

https://web.archive.org/web/20130313174807/http://n2op.com/jim/daikatana.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4803167
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »

http://www.edge-online.com/features/denial-leads-to-failure-in-game-development-but-brutal-honestly-can-keep-a-project-on-track/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211139/Irrational_Games_journalism_and_airing_dirty_laundry.php

feminazi
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »

caution ken levine is dum
feminazi
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

cos libertarians
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »

oops i deleted my post w/o seeing your reply

this was it:

why does she hate infinite but loves the original bioshock? theyre the exact same shit, even "thematically". i mean i guess the original is better b/c it doesnt use racism as a storytelling gimmick but thats about it.

also why is it so popular to talk about bioshock as "innovative" and pretend system shock 2 never existed? dum
feminazi
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »

dum stop deleting psots this forum sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »

Well you had to read her previous article:
http://kotaku.com/now-is-the-best-time-a-critique-of-bioshock-infinite-472517493

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:17 AM »

that article reminded me of why i dont like ngj-style "personal" reviews lol.

look, the exact same things that are bad about binf are present in bioshock 1 (including tacked on "exploration", fake "decisionmaking" and shallow "political commentary"), just to a lesser degree. the truth isnt that binf is awful, its that bioshock was never that good and binf makes the flaws more apparent.
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »

hahahaha
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:48 AM »

that article reminded me of why i dont like ngj-style "personal" reviews lol.

look, the exact same things that are bad about binf are present in bioshock 1 (including tacked on "exploration", fake "decisionmaking" and shallow "political commentary"), just to a lesser degree. the truth isnt that binf is awful, its that bioshock was never that good and binf makes the flaws more apparent.

yes bioshock 1 too had nothing but giant copy pasted areas filled with hundreds of dudes

pretend i wrote additional sarcastic comments for each of the other parts you skipped over

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »

I can agree with all this criticism.

I felt like Bioshock 1 had less to do with the objectivist political narrative and more to do with the story of Andrew Ryan. Andrew Ryan was the main character of the game, and the plot twists regarding you and Atlas just existed to reflect upon him. Andrew Ryan hated what society on land had become and fled to create a utopia under the sea only to discover that he couldn't escape human nature. In the end he wound up becoming a tyrant to fight a tyrant, a fact that wasn't lost upon him.

I don't get the impression that the game is trying to prop up objectivism or knock it down, or even try to explore it in more than a superficial way. It's just a backdrop for the real game, in the same way that Desert levels in Super Mario Bros aren't documentaries on arid geography or Egyptian ruins, they're just a backdrop for a level.

I got the impression, and maybe I'm wrong, that what Infinite was trying to do was show the same kind of societal downfall that happened in Bioshock 1, except to let you be present when it happens and see the before and after. One of the last areas of the game (the chapter before the Comstock House with the graveyard) resembles Bioshock 1 very closely, with ruined buildings and non-linear exploration. The difference is that you saw the city and the people before it was destroyed, so unlike the original game you understood how it had once been very beautiful. I liked the game from that perspective, since it isn't often that a game lets you see the structures both before and after they are ruined.

The whole arc about Fink and Daisy wasn't about Fink or Daisy, and I don't think the game was ever trying to teach some lesson about slavery or racism one way or the other (Note, for example, the scene with the baseball early in the game - you get the reward later no matter what you do). It was all just about Elizabeth, who enters Finkton naive and leaves shaken by the realization that making things better isn't a simple matter. In that way, I think it's the same as Bioshock 1 - the political narrative isn't the focus of the game, it's just a backdrop for telling a story about the characters.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »

http://cinemur.fr/actualites/documentaire-life-after-pi-effets-speciaux-7158
This is not video games but is similar in some ways (see irrationals)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »

Lord of shadow rumor (but rather typical complaints)
http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/kokoro_games/p_102896_castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-un-developpeur-accuse-et-vide-
(french)

feminazi
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »

wat it say
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »

It's probably translated from the original spanish forum post

english translation:
Well, I would like to shed some light over the development of this game... Working with Mercury Steam and I would like to tell this anonymously- is about an everyday frustration. Here's to every guy that has experienced hell during the development of this game, but especially to those who have led this to the mess that Lords of Shadows 2 is:

- Kojima had little to nothing to do with the development of the first game, he came by, set a seal, visited the studio, signed some things and that was it. He had even less to do with Mirror of Fate and LoS2.

The vast majority of this team is aware that the game we've done is a real piece of s*** that has nothing to do with the first one's quality and production values... Nobody is surprised by the low reviews we've got.

- If there's someone to blame here, that's Enric Álvarez. He is the person who has led a broken development based on his personal criteria, completely overlooking programmers, designers and artists. Despite his nice look to the press, often considered as some sort of creative "visionary" in the looks of David Cage and Molyneux, this guy has serious problems. He is a mean and naughty guy, and since the "success Lords of Shadows 1" his ego has grown to the point of not even daring to say 'hello' when you meet him in the hallway.

His distrust to his own workers is enormous. Most of the development team often found out features of the game through press news, rather than from the studio's head - unbelievable. And there is no corporate culture here at all... this is just a handful of people working blindly and at the disposal of an alleged visionary.

- Many of the studio founders are people with zero abilities for running a studio. Often here newbie developers know more than their own bosses. This structure only leads to a slow, messy and absurd development process, with the end result of Lords of Shadows 2 being a perfect example of what happens due to that.

- Absolutely every design idea has to be monitored, taken away and mutilated by Enric Álvarez. Several game designers have grown tired of this and have abandoned the studio.

- The art direction for this project has been erratic and beheaded. After Enric dismissed every idea and core decission from our main art director for the previous projects, he decided to just leave. It was a battle of egos unleashed by Enric (something that he has carried over with since his times in Rebel Act). Our now former art director is still working in Madrid, now with the Tequila guys making RIME.

- Many others have just turned to other studios offers, sick of the situation here. Almost every month we see fellow devs packing up and getting out of here looking for a new job abroad that's sad. It's amazing how the biggest AAA game developer in Spain is not even willing to make its workers a counteroffer. This company does not think highly of its talented workers and their good work. There has never been any kind of salary bonus or anything that remotely resembles it. Not even a single "Good job team!" acknowledgement.

- The production management for this project has been terrible, way often the heads of each department dismissed every production deadline and imposed their own criteria. As a result, the development was delayed for six months, and that investment only came out of MercurySteam's pockets. The QA department is treated like cattle, with shameful wages and almost everyday bullying.

- After completing Lords of Shadows 2 MercurySteam has fired 35 workers, and it's embarrasing that no website or journalist is talking about that. More firings are expected to come in the following days.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:32 PM »

I have heard similar story so many times ... and somewhat lives through a milder one
also relevant:
http://odiousrepeater.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/3-reasons-cool-ideas-are-damaging-video-games-2/

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/3/5462994/singularity-two-years-to-make-a-mess-ten-months-to-clean-it-up
Singularity the real life story
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:27:48 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic