Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:39:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioA question about genres
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A question about genres  (Read 806 times)
SanctusAudio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »

So I have had a few projects thrown my way this year and one thing that has caught my attention is that I have been asked to compose in a bout a million different genres.

For example, the current webcomic project I am working on calls for these genres:

Classical

dubstep

Orchestral

dance

80s new wave

Am I correct in assuming that as a video game composer, having skill in composing multiple genres is a must have trait?

What genres have you been asked to compose for?
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »

I think that's the norm wherever you are as a professional musician. Trevor Dunn wrote a really good chapter of Arcana II: Musicians on Music about this. Everyone's eclectic these days.

And it's great as a compositional exercise, to get out of your comfort zone and learn & stuff.

Ckukla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:53:01 PM »

It's pretty common to be well versed in different genres. Plus you're more likely to get additional work when you can demonstrate that you are a diverse musician and can fill whatever needs arise. I wouldn't exactly call it a must-have trait as it would be possible to get by filling only certain niches, but it certainly wouldn't be easier trying to make a living.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »

I think a good rule of thumb to go by is Valve's whole "breadth + depth" thing... Basically, it's good to be able to compose in many different kinds of genres, because making a living off of game composing requires you to take on a huge variety of projects. However, finding your own voice (something that makes you stand out; something you particularly excel in) is also quite important, if anything, just because there are so many composers out there looking for work.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:01 AM »

I think a good rule of thumb to go by is Valve's whole "breadth + depth" thing... Basically, it's good to be able to compose in many different kinds of genres, because making a living off of game composing requires you to take on a huge variety of projects. However, finding your own voice (something that makes you stand out; something you particularly excel in) is also quite important, if anything, just because there are so many composers out there looking for work.

(No yoshi is an island? xD nice)

Even if I'm a newbie and so far all I have done has been for free I've been asked to compose in zillions of different styles. That is: Rock, metal, goth metal, j-pop, classic, baroque, romantic, jazzy sexy, dub-step, electronic hard-core, medieval epic, valse etc.

What I've learned is that you should try to do everything, but sometimes some styles or specific tunes are just out of your capabilities. Then you only can say: "I'm sorry but I cannot compose in this style right now. Please search someone else" Having to say this hurts  Cry

crumpet
Level 0

I did a art, once

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:41 AM »

Another plus you get from learning how to compose new genres is you can lift elements of that genre and put it into other pieces.

This lets you get a lovely mixed style of music, which can feel really fresh. A good example of a nicely mixed soundtrack IMO is the Bastion OST, which I think really shows the benefits of knowing how to write in a lot of different styles Tongue

I used to think I was a failure. Then I discovered you can just buy trophies. Now I win at everything.
SanctusAudio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »

Thank you all for the insights on this issue. When I first go into this composing thing years ago, I really just wanted to do orchestral. As I started to learn music theory I noticed I had an urge to know all genres. It has definitely paid off! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic