Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:09:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignProject or Bust: StarCraft BreedWars
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project or Bust: StarCraft BreedWars  (Read 3056 times)
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:35 PM »

Introduction:
Hi! Gentleman
I'm an aspiring game designer. I usually do programming, and I'm usually as creative as a brick can get. But not this time!
I actually had a game idea come to me in my nap. I think that it's a pretty good one.
Let's discuss it and see if we can either bust it or develop and polish it into something awesome.

Design so far:

Will work on top of StarCraft 2. Assume it's graphics and controls. Online multiplayer.

Objective:
A heavily-defended AI-controlled terran military base is on the map.
Win condition: Destroy the terran military base.
Lose condition: All of your zergs are dead.

In the beginning:
Player is presented with a menu in which he chooses a play-style; Sexual or Asexual (bear with me here).
Sexual: Spawns as a single mature drone. Sex chosen at random. System distributes sex evenly between sexual players. If uneven number, preference is male. If less than two players chose to play sexual, all players are forced to play asexual.
Asexual: Spawns as a single mature zergling.
Infestational: Needs to be unlocked. Spawns a single mature infestor.
One of the first things a player should do is find a place to build a base. Sexual players build nests, and asexual players build hives. Infestational players don't build bases.

Gameplay:
Player controls zergs. To control more zergs, the zergs must engage in reproduction.
Nourishment:
Zergs do not require nourishment as sustenance. Food is used to create offspring and to heal damage. Zergs are carnivore, so they hunt for food. Huntables are:
Terran civilians. Very squishy and yummy. Can not defend themselves. They provide 3 food points.
Terran soldiers. A bit sturdy. Have means to defend themselves. They provide 3 food points.
Other zerg (players). Difficulty depends on evolution. Will defend themselves if provoked. They provide 4 food points.
Other zerg (own). Difficulty depends on evolution. Will not defend themselves. They provide 4 food points.
Zerg lifecycle:
Zergs have three life states:
Juvenile. Can not reproduce. Lasts 2 minutes, after which it becomes mature.
Mature. Can reproduce. Lasts 2 minutes, after which it becomes elder.
Elder. Can not reproduce. Lasts 1 minute, after which it dies.
Reproduction:
Sexual zergs need to use "Breed" skill on a zerg of an opposite sex. Must not be parent/child/brother/sister. 10% chance of successful conception. Given female can not have successful conception more than twice during life time. Given female can not attempt conception more than 15 times during life time. If conception is successful, female receives a penalty to movement speed for 15 seconds; after which she spawns a larva. 40 seconds later, it becomes a controllable juvenile zerg. In case players breed with eachother, the controller is randomized.
Asexual zergs need to use "Subdivide" skill. Zerg returns to "Juvenile" state and spawns a controllable clone of itself. Can not subdivide more than twice during life time.
All reproduction costs 8 food points.
Infestors reproduce by infesting a terran. The terran goes berserk for 30 seconds, gradually slowing down and having his health reduced. If he does not die within 30 seconds, he transforms into an infested terran controllable by the player. A minute later, it becomes a mature infestor.
Evolution:
Individual zergs may be mutated by the player. The zerg's offspring inherit all mutations. In the case of sexual reproduction when players breed with eachother, the offspring inherits the mutations of both. In case of conflicting mutations, inheritance is randomized.
Infestors can infect each other with mutations.
Mutations cost food. Cost varies.
Some examples for mutations:
  • Sturdy Elderhood - Elder zergs have more armor. Conflicts with 'Agile Elderhood'.
  • Agile Elderhood - Elder zergs have increased movement speed. Conflicts with 'Sturdy Elderhood'.
  • Increased Fertility - Chance of successful conception is raised by 5%.
  • (Sexual:) Hard Shell - Mature and elder zergs have more armor. Stacks with 'Sturdy Elderhood'.
  • (Asexual:) Accelerated Growth - Juvenile life state is decreased by 30 seconds.
There are also special mutations for the late-game. Sexual players can chose to mutate their zergs into either hydralisks (ranged ground-to-air&ground) or ultralisks (powerful melee ground-to-ground). Asexual players can chose to mutate their zergs into either mutalisks (ranged air-to-air&ground) or banelings (powerful suicidal ground-to-ground).
Hive/Nest (base) mechanic:
Every player can have up to one base. Individual units have a skill that makes them go to the base. The base has a skill that makes all zergs go to it.
The base can be used to heal nearby zergs. Healing costs food.
Terran behavior:
The terran base is dormant at first. It produces units proportional to the amount of dead civilians. Eventually it begins to send patrols to areas where civilians die. It begins by sending marines (pretty general-purpose ranged infantry). After some time and military casualties, it begins producing marauders (slightly armored ranged infantry with anti-armor capabilities). Later come helions (fast and mobile vehicles with AOE damage) and then banshees (anti-ground flyer).

This is not vaporware. Usually such project is quite a bit of a challenge, but I chose to (at least begin to) be doing it on top of StarCraft 2 as a custom/arcade game / mod. This cuts development time majorly; especially the "online multiplayer" part.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:53:59 PM by soryy708 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic