Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:01:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSignal Lost - Recruit Robots in this RPG
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Signal Lost - Recruit Robots in this RPG  (Read 6312 times)
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »

This thread is about two things. In the long term, I'm making an engine and a set of tools to build RPGs and do all the dirty work. I'm developing the tools alongside a game as a proof of concept that the engine works. I'm targetting Android and desktop for both. The game is robot themed and it's heavily inspired by the SMT series. It uses the Press Turn system for battles combined with a Magic the Gathering style stack. If you aren't familiar with Press Turn, the basic idea is that hitting weaknesses and getting crits nabs you extra turn actions, while missing or nullified attacks lose them. Half turn icons can still be used as a normal turn, so a perfect phase nets every unit two turns. Certain events in battle can trigger other events, so putting together a synergistic team is the key to success.

Here's some music I'm working on for the game:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:05:44 PM by AMT » Logged

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »

Now bosses can be bigger than normal enemies. Also made it so they can open the battle with a custom script:

Next up, finally reading in battle parties from file and switching units from your stock to the battlefield. Once I finish that I've got two screens to add (A better post-battle results screen and a status screen for detailed unit info) and the battle system is finished!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:50:42 AM by AMT » Logged

Matt Rohr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »

Looks interesting.
Is it just battling?

I am not quite sure what your game is about.  Crazy

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

It's going to be a dungeon crawler, but I'm finishing the battle system before I work on the field / overworld state. Right now I'm working on getting the gameplay really solid.

Just uploaded a new build with the boss battle in the gif. Give it a shot and see if you can beat it! It's winnable, I promise. Good luck.

Desktop: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.jar
Android: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.apk

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:58:39 AM »

Describing enemy encounters via XML is now 100% complete. You can specify extra moves on a per-unit basis, give units extra levels, define what loot can drop and what the chance of it dropping is, and specify the background and music for the encounter. Once I get the map editor going, you’ll just give it a list of encounter names and encounter rates. Not the most exciting thing to look at, but it’s definitely useful now that it’s finished.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »

Added an MtG style stack to the UI so you can see exactly what's going on. I'm very happy with how it came out, it helps the game's readability a ton. I uploaded this build, you can get it here like always:

Desktop: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.jar
Android: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.apk

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »

I recorded some gameplay and put it on Youtube. Not everyone wants to download an entire game just to test it out, so I figured this would be good way to show off the progress I've made. Check out the video:

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »

Started on the field state! Already have a rudimentary map format, the camera tracks the player, and the player moves relative to the camera direction. Next up is probably collision and then I'll plop in some dungeon generation code, trigger encounters, and it's starting to look like an actual RPG.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »

Here's a new video; I polished up the UI a bunch and smoothed out camera movement. The battle system is pretty much feature complete at this point, it just needs another layer of polish later on to really finish it up.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »

Spent part of the day drafting up battle music and trying to get a general feel for where to take the soundtrack. Battle2 is kind of Earthbound inspired while Battle3 feels like it should be for an important battle or something, not sure yet.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »

Screenshot Saturday:

Got terrain working! Collision wound up being a little more of a headache than I imagined but it's working great now. Getting one step closer to having crawlable dungeons.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:23:42 PM by AMT » Logged

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »

Tiles can have scripts. They do stuff. It’s pretty rad.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:27:27 PM by AMT » Logged

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

Made a kickin’ rad NTSC filter. Its intensity varies based on what’s happening in the game, or just for screen transitions. It’s pretty slick.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »

This looks sweet  Grin

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »

Tons of work that I have almost nothing to show for today. The big thing is that I implemented the core skillset for the game. Light / Medium / Heavy elemental attacks, multi target attacks, buffs and debuffs, all the vanilla skills that will be making up your robot’s moveset. The fun part will be designing all the triggered skills- I’ve got a decent number of those designed on paper but haven’t implemented them ingame yet. Getting back to the screen, I added a random battle option where your opponents have randomly generated skillsets. It works pretty well until they end up with “Guard / Guard / Attack” because the RNG hates them. Next I need an analyze screen so you can actually see what you're up against.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »

Drafting more music, check it out:

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 06:13:25 PM »

Finished the status screen so you can actually see what your units are and what you're up against. Elemental affinity icons are placeholders, but the elements themselves will stay- from left to right, you have Slash, Smash, Stab, Fire, Ice, Elec, and Force. Hovering over skills lets you see a detailed description, with trigger conditions and targetting modes. I'll upload a gif or something of it in action soon- one step closer to a functioning menu!

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »

And here it is in motion! Pretty dang happy with how this came out.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:47 PM »

More weird music. Thoughts on style / direction?

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »

Started on the menu! Doesn't do too much but it's just as fancy as the analyze screen. Time to start filling in those options.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic