Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:55:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInfinite Maze
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Infinite Maze  (Read 2346 times)
okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »

Hello!  This is my second personal project that is on its way to completion.  The idea is that you're an adventurer who must traverse a maze to collect treasures.  You get a fixed amount of time before the door in each room closes so you must achieve balance between solving and navigating the mazes and collecting the treasures.

Downloads
Version 0.6 (1.3K) - Requires the Visual Studio 2012 Redist.

Version History
  • New art!
  • Some programmer sound effects and some from freesound.org
  • Game is now controlled via swiping with the mouse
  • Initial release

Here is what version 0.6 looks like:

Here is what it looked like in the beginning (forgive the programmer art Smiley):

I like the idea of having smaller, bite sized, mazes that one can solve just by glancing at the overall picture to see the path but I will be experimenting with more complex mazes and more treasures soon.

Ultimately the goal is to release this as a mobile game on Android and iOS.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:17:26 AM by okoz » Logged

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »

Today I did two things.  The first thing was to take the PC build and getting it to work on my Android phone.  The second has to do with my affection for 3D main menu screens that set the theme for the game.

The main menu takes place at the entrance to the maze.  Clicking on the door starts the game while clicking on the side with the treasure chests turns you to what will be the high score table.  The settings menu will be placed on the left side along with some fancy looking machinery.  Hopefully the game will become fun soon so I can focus on making everything pretty!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:57:54 PM by okoz » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »

You should make a "Hardcore" mode where it's in first person.

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

I'll consider the "Hardcore" mode although I think 10 seconds will be nowhere near enough :D.
Maybe if there was some sort of hint about where to go.

I added a build to the first post.  All comments/criticisms are welcome, especially ones regarding to how to make it more fun. The next thing on the todo list is to get the runner control to feel more natural and not crap out too easily if the mouse is not moved carefully.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure you'd have to increase it to a lot more time while in first person.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:03 PM »

Today I did two things.  The first thing was to take the PC build and getting it to work on my Android phone.  The second has to do with my affection for 3D main menu screens that set the theme for the game.

-snip-

The main menu takes place at the entrance to the maze.  Clicking on the door starts the game while clicking on the side with the treasure chests turns you to what will be the high score table.  The settings menu will be placed on the left side along with some fancy looking machinery.  Hopefully the game will become fun soon so I can focus on making everything pretty!

there is something wrong with the perspective ... what fovx are you feeding in ?
Deraj
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »

Just wanted to say that I also made an infinite maze game in the past, but yours looks much better! I like how you've created a compelling trade-off in the gameplay.

You might run into screen real estate issues on e.g. Android, but I think having a little more complex mazes would be good Smiley

Try my HTML5 games: SIC-1, Chromium JSU
okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »

there is something wrong with the perspective ... what fovx are you feeding in ?

The horizontal fov for the main menu is 120 degrees.  Does it look too stretchy? I kinda wanted it to look stretchy Smiley.

You might run into screen real estate issues on e.g. Android, but I think having a little more complex mazes would be good Smiley

Thanks Deraj!  I know exactly what you mean about screen real estate.  My fingers end up covering up most of the maze, especially when moving around in the upper left hand corner.  I think I will try a control scheme based on relative dragging so you can move your finger around anywhere on the screen.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »

ah I see , just seems a bit strange for me ...
okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »

While I finish up work on adding a more difficult type of maze to the game here are some concepts I did while planning the main menu.  The current menu is just a very rough approximation of what I'd like it to be in the end.

The main menu room:

The player stands in the middle:

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

In an attempt to get it to be more playable on small screens everything is now done through swiping.  Also the walls now have corners!

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

Trying out some new art(by http://www.roboy.me/) and working on a way to make mazes more dangerous.  I'm not yet settled on the look because it is very hard to read the maze right now.  Thoughts?

roboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »

Hello! I'm the not so great artist Cheesy

Here's a test AO screen - helps pop out the meshes more

Also we're playing with a different angle... we think it looks more fun - what do you guys think?

3D artist - www.roboy.me
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »

I like the perspective for its aesthetics, but I like the readability of the top down perspective more. To make the game more mobile friendly you could make it rogue-like round based with a fixed amount of rounds instead of time (with the possibility to save moves from maze to maze). Maybe you can add some RPG elements and from time to time a village Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic