Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:28:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsr0gu3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: r0gu3  (Read 9756 times)
xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:18:06 PM »

A classical roguelike inside a glitched simulation.

r0gu3 is my first approach to a "real" roguelike. I've always loved roguelikes, but had never tried creating one, and with my experience with Unity3D I finally feel confident to go for it. I wanted to try a different approach to 'classical ASCII' roguelike games and use ASCII graphics but doing some usage of the power of 3D and postfx shaders, and improving the user experience with mouse interaction.

At the time of writing I've spent only 4 or 5 days developing it, but I already got all the basics in place: Map generation, entity management, external data loading, character turns, combat system.. I now have to take care of items/magic/events and a lot of other stuff, but it's progressing well so far Smiley

I got the story basics in my head, but I guess that's what will take more to insert into the game. Too much else to do at the moment.

Thoughts and feedback appreciated  Gentleman
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:14:34 AM by xdavidleon » Logged

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »

A roguelike in 3d is nothing new.
But a roguelike with tweening and post-fx... now that is interesting.

A thing not visible on GIFs available so far, but I think that it would have been an interesting touch to have the game "glitch" for a moment whenever player gets hit, and increase ambient amount of "glitchiness" as the player is being taken down to low health levels.

Things like teleportation or entity death could also very likely benefit from a local-scale "glitch" effect, although this would have to be tested and calibrated to not get too annoying.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »

I've seen quite a few attempts to make 3D classic roguelikes in recent years, and this has got to be the best visual concept so far. I really like the angle.

As with any classic roguelike, of course, visuals are nice but mechanics are where it's at! (And story is a plus when you've got one.) Is this going to have any kind of unique mechanics or is it Roguelike ABCXYZ in 3D? No offense intended, just hoping you'll combine the cool visuals with equally innovative mechanics!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »

Is this going to have any kind of unique mechanics or is it Roguelike ABCXYZ in 3D?
Wondering this myself. :p

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »

I just realized that you're the same guy who's working on Path of Shadows

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »

A thing not visible on GIFs available so far, but I think that it would have been an interesting touch to have the game "glitch" for a moment whenever player gets hit, and increase ambient amount of "glitchiness" as the player is being taken down to low health levels.

I'm already trying to do this for combat events, low hp, etc. I'm watching a lot of Memory of a Broken Dimension for inspiration, but it's hard to "nail" a glitch effect.

Is this going to have any kind of unique mechanics or is it Roguelike ABCXYZ in 3D?

I didn't have much time to start thinking about anything beyond the 'vanilla' roguelike mechanics, but the point of this prototype is to make an unusual roguelike, so I'll explore different possibilities.

I just realized that you're the same guy who's working on Path of Shadows

Yep, I can't stay still, coffee helps  Coffee

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »

Love the look and concept - 80s ascii meets Memory of a Broken Dimension ;)

Any chance the gameplay / underlying systems will glitch too?  That would be outstanding :D

xdavidleon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »

The idea would be to tie the lore of the world with computer slang, while adding gameplay mechanics related to the use of glitches.

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »

Oh, that's pretty, I wanna see it in action

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:47 AM »

Checkout Teleglitch if you haven't already, I love the glitchy effects there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic