Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:15:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLoin-Cloth, One dimensional rogue-like!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Loin-Cloth, One dimensional rogue-like!  (Read 10477 times)
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »

Hey there everybody, I have started work on my first game, Loin-Cloth! The name is pretty stupid and doesn't relate to much in the game, except for the reason you are exploring the dungeons. Which is for no other reason than to recover Caesars loin-cloth.  Undecided Yeah...

So the game is a one-dimensional rogue-like-ish game for android and maybe ios. This is my first game project so you can't expect it to be great, but I will try my best!  Smiley
I am doing all the art and all the programming and maybe the music. We'll see.

Here is my first mockup -

Here is a gif of game-play (Sorry for bad gif, also early in game) -

Here is a download for PC, latest version -
Download v.3

Latest screen-shot -

Soo, yeah.
This is my devlog. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:05:23 AM by Crypit » Logged

Even my pixels are fat.
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:14:53 PM »

[UPDATE]
Fixed up and re-made the inventory system.
Fixed up the bug if guard > attack.
Fixed up gamemaker's graphical distortion.
Maybe other stuff, I forgot Tongue

Changed link for new version.

Oh yeah, that's right, I added ranged attacks!
click on the green squares to shoot an 'arrow'!
Watch out thought! Certain enemies can shoot you with their 'arrows' if they are in the green tiles! The blue tiles will be magic, hopefully added soon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:28:32 PM by Crypit » Logged

Even my pixels are fat.
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »

Messing around with shaders. Decided I don't like shaders.

Too confusing Tongue

Even my pixels are fat.
ghoulkid86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »

v/ excited about this! Love the concept. Mac release?
Also, yeah I wouldn't do shaders. As much as I like stylized stuff I think it takes away more from the style than it adds.

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »

At first I thought "this guy clearly doesn't know what 1D means", egg on my face!

Looks really interesting, have you read "Flatland, a romance of many dimensions" before? There's a passage early on about a single dimension land with some interesting points. For example, you can only see left and right (naturally), and only ever see one part of the being next to you (front or back); with that in mind you could have some monsters facing away (you're sneaking up on them) and some facing toward you - could be a way to vary the stats. Also, can you go backwards?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:51 AM »

v/ excited about this! Love the concept. Mac release?
Also, yeah I wouldn't do shaders. As much as I like stylized stuff I think it takes away more from the style than it adds.
Thanks! and yeah, I could do that.  Wink

At first I thought "this guy clearly doesn't know what 1D means", egg on my face!

Looks really interesting, have you read "Flatland, a romance of many dimensions" before? There's a passage early on about a single dimension land with some interesting points. For example, you can only see left and right (naturally), and only ever see one part of the being next to you (front or back); with that in mind you could have some monsters facing away (you're sneaking up on them) and some facing toward you - could be a way to vary the stats. Also, can you go backwards?

Never heard of it! the book seems pretty interesting though.
The backwards facing monsters is a great idea, I might add that in.
At the moment you can't move backwards, but I'm not sure what that really means. Do you mean like monsters can sneak up behind you and you gotta stab 'em first? Or that the dungeon explores in two directions?

by the way, thanks!  Smiley

Even my pixels are fat.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 01:07:25 AM »

Never heard of it! the book seems pretty interesting though.
The backwards facing monsters is a great idea, I might add that in.
At the moment you can't move backwards, but I'm not sure what that really means. Do you mean like monsters can sneak up behind you and you gotta stab 'em first? Or that the dungeon explores in two directions?

by the way, thanks!  Smiley

Run don't walk to that book, it's a mind-opener.

For the directionality, I'm thinking of a Diablo type approach rather than being attacked from the rear, ie:

Forwards  = Deeper into the Dungeon (harder enemies, higher rewards)
Backwards = Back to the "Village" (easier enemies, lower rewards)

THEN it makes sense to have:

PermaDeath (leave a corpse + gear at the point you die)
Portals (for instant access to the village)
Village is the only place you can sell, upgrade etc.

Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:33:08 AM »

Okay, those are good ideas. I like those ideas.
Hopefully, I'll be able to implement those ideas!  Wink

Even my pixels are fat.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:27 AM »

Okay, those are good ideas. I like those ideas.
Hopefully, I'll be able to implement those ideas!  Wink

Glad to be of inspiration, don't let me derail your best laid plans though :-)

Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »

New update is here!

The main thing I added to this update is magical attacks.  Wizard
To attack with magic, drag a line on the blue tiles and everything in the line will be hit!
Hopefully in the next update I will make it so the more enemies selected, the less damage magic will do.

I also added health bars. Not to the character yet though.

Updated original post with link.

Even my pixels are fat.
beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »

Looks interesting, good luck to you

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 03:25:31 AM »

Been planning on making a 1D roguelike myself for a while now. Who knows if I'll ever get around to it, but I've been collecting related links for reference. Check out this discussion on Rogue Temple, and I saw a mockup here on TIGSource before. Might give you a few ideas, good luck!

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »

Must confess I had no idea what a 1D roguelike was and so spent most of my play session being absolutely confused.  Seems like an interesting genre though, what would you all suggest as the best of the genre?

Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »

Been planning on making a 1D roguelike myself for a while now. Who knows if I'll ever get around to it, but I've been collecting related links for reference. Check out this discussion on Rogue Temple, and I saw a mockup here on TIGSource before. Might give you a few ideas, good luck!
Yeah, I've looked through the forum before and the mock-up is what inspired me to work on this as well. I liked that mockup a lot. I hope he ends up making that game too...

Must confess I had no idea what a 1D roguelike was and so spent most of my play session being absolutely confused.  Seems like an interesting genre though, what would you all suggest as the best of the genre?
As far as I know, there aren't any one-dimensional rogue-likes around unfortunately. Sad
The concept I'm moulding here is going to be more of a toy than a game because I imaging it would be difficult to add a lot of depth/story to a medium so limited.
And, yeah. I really need to make add tutorial intro thing to the game Tongue.

I'll work on it...

Even my pixels are fat.
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »

Very WIP of a simple tutorial.(pops up at start of every game)

Any crits/opinions?

Even my pixels are fat.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »

Looks great, do you start with all three attacks or do you have to level up to get them? (Tried running v3 through Wine on Linux, but no joy)

Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

I think I might let you start with all three attacks, but they will all be pretty weak. You start with a certain amount of score that you can spend to upgrade your favorite stat or level them all up equally.

Are you using Ubuntu linux or another distro?

Even my pixels are fat.
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »

Quick gif to show how magic works.

Also the tutorial thingo.

Even my pixels are fat.
Crypit
Level 1

Has an IQ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 01:08:31 AM »

Okay guys, I'm in a boring mood right now, so I thought I'd tell you about how my games development is going to work.

The game you are seeing right now is nothing more than a prototype - the interface, the name, the items/enemies and even most of the gameplay is just a test.
If I like the polished prototype I will start from scratch and, looking at the prototype, make a cleaner, simpler and nicer copy that I hope to sell. Since this 'game' is little more than a toy, it should rely on fun and addictive gameplay to get peoples attention. This is my first game, so I don't expect that it will be getting even a little bit of attention, but I will feel better knowing I made something quality that I could put on a resume or something  Tongue
When the prototype is finished, this devlog will be at 50% and from then on, the proper version will take over. Hopefully.

So, yeah. If you have any ideas or opinions or critique or hate, please throw it at me because I want this game to be good, so I need all the opinions I can get.

Also, here is the shopkeeper doing a silly, little jig -

Even my pixels are fat.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »

Really nice idea for mobile platforms. I like the idea a lot and will follow this project. When will we get an .apk, huh?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic