Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:33:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMirror Stage [Done]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Mirror Stage [Done]  (Read 41776 times)
increpare
« on: December 08, 2008, 07:20:57 AM »

Okay.  It's done good and proper now (I hope).  Has a small amount of new extra content, and I've put up the (especially messy) source as well.

Windows(21MB)

OS X 10.5+ (21MB)

Source (21MB)

Old Stuff:

Okay, I've upped beta 2:

Windows(20MB)

OS X 10.5+ (22MB)

I fixed numerous bugs with the editor (it's possible, though unlikely, that some 'visit' based objectives set with the old editor won't do anything in the new version; it's easily fixed, though..), smoothed out some in-game stuff.

For people who have looked at the editor, I'll welcome suggestions to make it easier to use (I have a small list already of things I still have to do), and will happily consider ideas that people have for new entities to add to the game also.

Also, to reiterate, if any people have made chapters, please post them here for the delectation of the rest of us ...  (also that I might consider bundling them with the official release...).

(old message:)

Okay, it's more or less finished now.

Windows(20MB)

OS X 10.5+ (22MB)

(Bundled is a custom chapter by Terry, the heist).

My plan is to leave it in beta a couple of days, see if any horrible problems emerge, then to put it public at the weekend.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:30:29 PM by stephen lavelle » Logged
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »

holy fuck, what is this?

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »

holy fuck, what is this?

There're some pretty good descriptions in the 'what you're working on' -thread, though he should definitely post them here too. The game idea is ace.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:45:29 AM »

Tis a maze based, 2D version of portal with a few twists, and a proper implementation of  manifolds. Those are multiple copies of yourself and the maze you are in, seen many deep through portals, and faded out by distance.

I'd be totally up for level design, if you are looking for help. I did a fair amount of geometry at uni, so I think I can handle the apparent insanity.
increpare
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »

Quote from: Hempuli
There're some pretty good descriptions in the 'what you're working on' -thread, though he should definitely post them here too
I can't be bothered to trawl back and find them.  Just got the shots by trawling through my photo album.

Quote from: BorisTheBrave
Tis a maze based, 2D version of portal with a few twists, and a proper implementation of  manifolds.
It's not a 2D version of portal.  It's not maze-based.  I do not know what a proper implementation of manifolds might look like.  It is 2D, though, and has a portal engine of sorts.

I'd be totally up for level design, if you are looking for help. I did a fair amount of geometry at uni, so I think I can handle the apparent insanity.
The problem isn't so much with the level design as with meshing the level-design with the various narratives that I'm working with.  Thanks for the offer, though.  I have a level-editor made that I think works quite well; I hope that I'll be able to include it with the final game.

Total levels added so far today: 0.  Need to work on that number now...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:44:07 AM by increpare » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »

Woo! Go increpare!

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »

Uh, sorry, didn't mean to malaign the game, I was just going by the very brief view I got at TIGJam UK.

It is so a maze, though, in the sense that it is easy to get lost in a room. And some of the gameplay revolved around finding your way around, irrc. I think you find it easier to navigate than your audience is going to.

I mean it's proper because you are going to town with the interesting geometry you can create, rather than keeping it plain like Portal does.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »

Does this game have anything to do with Jacques Lacan's mirror stage? Because that is something I'm currently studying about for one of my finals so I was intrigued by the name.

(This is really just a way to help review for this test, so I hope you'll humor me)

According to Lacan, the mirror stage is this (hypothetical/philisophical) moment in a baby's life when they first see themselves in the mirror held by their mother, and realize that they are a different entity than their mother. Thus, establishing the concept of difference in the baby's mind for the first time (this leads into a discussion on essentialism, eurocentrism, and ethnocentrism). At the same time as establishing the concept difference, the baby is also seeing an ideal vision of themselves, which differs from the frail vulnerability of their existance as a baby. This establishes an ideal-'I' that will stay with the baby for the rest of their life, which will cause insecurities and motivate the person throughout their life. My teacher then goes off an a tangent about penis-envy too, but its very Freudian and silly, and not particularly relevant.

Having unloaded all that (it looks pretty good right? I have a feeling 'define Lacan's mirror stage in a paragraph' will be on the test, and if I just elaborate on what the professor wants to see that should be good enough) I must say that it doesn't really resemble your game. Im a big fan of the abstract simplicity of your games increpare, and this seems no different, I'd really love to play it. It looks like a somewhat linear exploration game with pretty visuals, but who knows? I'll have to wait and find out.

If its not named after the mirror stage I'm busy memorizing, what is it named after? Is there some sort of duality to it all?

I'm done hypothesizing, I look forward to this games release, and now I gotta try and summarize next ridiculous theory for test...  Tired

increpare
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »

Does this game have anything to do with Jacques Lacan's mirror stage?
Yes!  Yes it does  Gentleman

(I take it you missed my aborted attempt at a psychoanalysis game then, Lacan: Trauma)

Your brief definition sounds on the ball to me (With the proviso that it has been experimentally disproved, but as a general concept still has some interesting aspects).

I must say that it doesn't really resemble your game.
In the service of its imminence, I'd rather not talk for now about how any of the above may or may not relate to the game.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 01:00:17 PM by increpare » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Narrative, eh? This is going to be so awesome.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 02:16:11 PM »

Good luck, Increpare!

Consider me intrigued.
increpare
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »

progress report:

uncovered several bugs today, as well as several other vital but small/unpleasant programming chores I have to get around to.  will be happy if I can deal with them tomorrow. 

sort-of-half-sketched a bunch of levels (more than ten), a lot of happy tinkering about with colour schemes, but no one level got fully implemented today.  Hopefully will tomorrow though... .
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »

Looking forward to this. Have you considered line smoothing for the visuals?

increpare
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »

Have you considered line smoothing for the visuals?
Yes.  I have to code to do so commented out in the code somewhere.  I'll probably reconsider, on the bat of you flagging it, but...after I have the content done, though.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »

hah, im so looking forward to this!
Biggerfish
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 01:13:56 AM »

I'm intrigued.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 01:16:51 AM »

Have you considered line smoothing for the visuals?
Yes.  I have to code to do so commented out in the code somewhere.  I'll probably reconsider, on the bat of you flagging it, but...after I have the content done, though.
Only problem with that is that the poly edges will be hard - GL has poly smoothing too, but I've never tried it.

increpare
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 01:44:06 AM »

Only problem with that is that the poly edges will be hard - GL has poly smoothing too
Yep.  I wasn't able to get it to work for some reason; this was one of the reasons (though not the main one) why I ended up not opting for the 'smooth' look.  I'll have another go though at some point.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 01:47:19 AM »

I'm sure this is pretty low on your list of priorities, but you can also use extensions for antialiasing:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=46
From what I've read, it's quite a bit faster than the native OpenGL antialiasing.

This looks great increpare, keep up the good work!
I especially like the pentagons in the screenshot dump. I've always been mad that regular pentagons can't be tesselated to form a plane Smiley.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 02:58:42 AM »

hmmm, this has Andy interested, please work hard!  Beer!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic