Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:45:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLo of The Dark [first person roguelike]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Lo of The Dark [first person roguelike]  (Read 5278 times)
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »

Lo of the Dark

Genre: dungeon crawler/RPG

The story
You are a travelling rogue, who manage to obtain an old amulet, which can be a key to a treasure. It is rumored to be buried somewhere deep below an ancient outpost of long gone Order. So you get to the outpost and venture into the depths of its catacombs.

Gameplay
tile-based dungeon crawler with card-based random encounter fights.

Rules of the Dungeon:
1) The longer you stay on same level - the harder enemies are
2) The deeper you go - the harder enemies are
3) The powerfuler (OMG, does this word even exist?!) you get - yes, the harder enemies are
4) Basically, main problem on each level is to find a door to the next level AND to grab as much loot as possible

Character sheet

StatSkillAffects
StrengthSwordEffect of Sword spells, any direct damage
IntelligenceMagicEffect of Magic spells, amount of Mana Points
SpeedBowEffect of Bow spells, chances to escape from fight, random damage reduction
EnduranceArmorEffect of Armor spells, reduction of any direct damage, HP amount

- On your first level you get 10 points to spend, every next level adds 4 points.
- Skills grow when you use them, the higher skill is, the lower chances of growth
- After each levelup you get free spell
- Every spell you get (from levelup or elsewhere) tend to be of your main skill (ATM there's too few spells for this effect to really matter)
- Your mana regenerates in-battle when you skip turn on random amounts based off Intelligence
- After battle you're auto-restored
- One save slot for all!
- Enemies appear depending on your level and level of dungeon you are in

Controls
WASD/Arrows to move
Space to interact or use
TAB to open character sheet
Esc for menu
M for overhead view

WARNING 1! This game is in rather early phase of development. Some art used is stolen directly from Google Image Search and will be replaced, as well as most models, graphics and levels
WARNING 2! When creating new game - make sure to close character sheet with "Close" button instead of TAB!
WARNING 3! Er... Welll.... You are warned!

Required software:
- OpenAL (included into package, at <gamefolder>\required_software\oalinst.exe), but should work without need to install this package

Current version - 0.12.7.4901

Feedback needed!
What feedback do I really need - while, in fact, any feedback is greatly appreciated? I need to know how stable or unstable the game is. How comfortable or uncomfortable the UI and controls are? How does the gameplay of current iteration flows? What features you think are needed to improve the game?

nVidia users! Your feedback is especially needed. There were problems with GLScene texture processing on latest drivers (347.xx); this problem should be solved in current update (thanks to guys from GLScene forums), but this requires checking for I have no possibility to test on nVidia hardware. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:16:06 AM by Rastrelly » Logged
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

Kinda big update here )

Version 0.1.0.1394.
- New character 'doll' construction principle
- - ISSUE: there are only temporary graphics for female characters, male character graphics are too far from being done, so male chars will look broken on charscreen
- Equippable weapons: now items can be assigned as a bow or a sword, and only one item of each type will affect character stats. All bows and swords will be displayed on character doll.
- OpenAL installer (<gamefolder>\Win32\Debug\required_software\oalinst.exe) included into package due to issues, caused by absense of openal on some PCs Smiley
- New item for level one - Wizard's Blade (+3 int). It's hidden Wink
- Now the game has an installer

Download link
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:14:05 PM by Rastrelly » Logged
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »

Well, SUDDENLY, an update here. I actually kinda had to dive into actual work, so, all for all, dropped almost any gamedev activity Sad Now, about this update:
1) Added perk system a-la Fallout. perks are gained once per 4 levels. Only 8 of them for now.
2) Male and female character dolls both work as they should now
3) Some bugfixes

Download from IndieDB (as soon as it'll be checked)

Also, alredy working link to Google Drive (remark: open ed.cfg and change ru to en if you don't know Russian. IndieDB version already has this tweak)
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

A big update here!

0.2.1.1721 - 06.09.14

andom map generator added
    Sound system update
    ""Catacombs surroundings revamp
    3D floor meshes support
    Inventory screen

0.2.0.1599 - 30.08.14

Enemy has a hand of cards just like the player now
    New enemies
    New cards
    New surroundings type - Catacombs
    Enemies won't cast inappropriate cards anymore
    Double clicks now move and navigate the character

0.1.0.1552 - 13.08.14

Level lighting can now be regulated via scripts(ChangeLighting, ResetLighting);
    Player name cannot switch line anymore;
    evel 6 greatly expandedДобавлена поддержка требования перками определенной расы;
    New enemy type;
    New decorations;
    Errors in combinated events are now fixed;
    Secret locations no longer pop up on minimap;
    Added perk to show secrets on minimap;
    Jump and teleport are now handled correctly;
    Fixed escape chance probability on escape button;

0.1.0.1520 - 10.08.14

Minimap added
    Added teleportation special effect
    Multiple level updates
    Added a small tutorial to Level 1
    Redecorated level 3
    All teleports are marked with special floor panel now
    All buttons are pressable now
    Level 5 adequateness raised
    Changed position of buttons on request forms

0.1.0.1480 - 04.08.14

Added ChangeFSprite script function, allowing to change Free Sprites at will
    Perk System errors fixed
    Additional perks and coded perk functions added

See IndieDB sownload link in first post Smiley
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »

IndieDB link

0.5.0.2209 - 10.10.14
Added decorative "flying off numbers" with indicators of damage and healing
Reworked system of effects:
-The effects may be superimposed as a card user, and the target
-Added "power" affecting the numerical effectiveness of some effects
-Effects are processed before script section now
Redrawn objects and enemies: the barrel, altar, book rack, Ghost, Shot
Added enemy: Wall of flesh
Added perk: Lord of the Flesh
Added spells: Fist punch, Tentacles
Added ninth level (map_8)
Redesigned eighth level (map_7)
Changed the way the effect of the "shield" - now it takes the absolute value of the damage, and not relative
The effect of "paralysis" now complicates escape
Effects of "The Shield" and "Shock" now have power indicator
Reworked visualization effects. Now they will line up from top to bottom, and do not appear at fixed locations
Spell "Lightning" is transferred to the school "Magic"
Slightly improved appearance of male version of "Armor of the Order"
Added spell list
Added the ability to display images by scripting
Added ability to display scrolls by scripting
Added the ability to adjust the size of the cards in the battle
Changed the look of cards
Fixed the head of male character doll
Changed the layout of the elements in map editor, added the ability to turn off elements
Added the ability to consistently hold up to 10 fights, keeping in every next one both mana and health of the player character. Part of random battles will take place in this format
Fixed a bug with the definition of bonus damage from Strength. Now taken the power of the card user
Added bonus damage from Intelligence. Strength now affects a sword and bow, and intelligence - the armor and magic
Modified opponents AI
On the cells with appointed event, random battles are locked (there was a danger to "overlap" random battle on scripted)
Changed the "doll" of female character. Anatomical shoals dominated T__T
Change the outlook of both kinds of women's armor
Added record proportions graphical representation of the character
Now the player can shuffle the cards, if it does not satisfy the current hand, but no more than once per turn at Speed above 35
Somewhat higher stability of the game
Added opponents: Marauder
Percentage damage is no longer subject to any effects except for the crit bonus (not amplified by fury, blessing, etc.)
Spell "Bolt" transferred to the jurisdiction of the skill "Bow"
Fixed minimap deformation, if the map has unequal proportions
Added the ability to adjust brightness
Added the ability to adjust anti-aliasing
Removed possibility to choose the type of armor in the early game
Added a new type of items - armor
Added Armor: Armor of the Order (available initially), Armor of Blade Dancer
Reworked female "character doll" (again, not completely)
Spell "Sword Strike" no longer appears in the book of spells, if not opened by player or opponent
It is not clear, but may be able to strangle a bug with a memory access error in the beginning of the battle...
Added perk icons
Added display of perk icons to the player (or enemy) panel
Fixed incorrect work of perk "Mana Flow"
Added a simple animation of monsters appearing
Information about perks owned by the player is now correctly cleared when starting a new game
In combat mode added player and enemy health and mana bars
Added option to render dungeon blocks economically  (may slightly reduce the load on the system, but maybe not)
(Partially) fixed a bug that caused it to fail early in the fight with the message Access violation (thanks warm summer rain) - its probability is greatly reduced, and it should not lead to an interruption of the game caused by internal processing mechanics of transmission between the player and the opponent
Synchronized processing of visual elements
Added decorative elements framing the screen
Enemy "Slug" is now at level 14, as it should be
Buttons of characteristics distribution are now displayed only if the player has a free points for distribution and if the player looks at the characteristics of own character (not an adversary)
Added spaces to card value
On all cards with indicated effect  duration, the number of moves is designated in accordance with the localization (for English. - T, for Russian. - X)
Added opponents: Demon (3 lvl.)
Added cards: Bolt (Bow)
Added items: Crossbow
Items now have the ability to influence and enhance skills and add cards
Effects of perks can now add up, affecting the efficiency of their application
Tutorial early in the game is now displayed once
In the inventory now displays a description of items (bonuses that they give)
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:26:08 AM »

The graphics are all horrible. I thought that the wolf was just one bad screenshot, but no, the whole game's like that.

The UI is incomprehensible. My character barely moved at the start of the game, and then some goblin popped up, which almost killed me. The only adequate thing I could do was move around and randomly choose attacks. The game starts with the inventory screen. Why? The tutorial is nonexistent. There were some popups, but I accidentally skipped them. Tutorials that just give you a lot of text are bad anyway, nobody reads them. Here's a video that explains what I mean.

The fact that the first ever enemy almost killed me is also a bad sign. I barely step into the game, and the second enemy I encounter kills me? There should be some sort of difficulty curve, or better yet, an easier part of the game for tutorial reasons, instead of the stupid pop-ups with some text inside.

I'm doing a game thingie here:
ActionGamemaster
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:30 AM »

There should be some sort of difficulty curve, or better yet, an easier part of the game for tutorial reasons, instead of the stupid pop-ups with some text inside.
This game is supposed to be unfairly hard. But when you will start picking up basic tactical stuff and will get more cards in your spellbook, you'll be able to build combinations of effectively supporting each other cards and you'll be able to as effectively lower incoming damage and negate enemy effects. Basically, in early game all you have is two weak kicks and one harder kick - what to use then? All cards have text on them for a reason - they indicate what will they do if you'll use them.

There will be no 'easier tutorial part' and the game gets more and more difficult during actual gameplay. All monsters are balanced the way each of them can kill you. On the other hand there will be an extended manual. This all is based off the concept I'm aiming at. Also I will definitely make an always accessible 'tutorial screen' for player to get access to all tools he has in possession at the moment.

This all is supposed to resemble old-school Wizardry-ish RPGs where a pack of bats could devastate your whole party due to bad luck AND combined with unintuitive puzzles to solve in order to proceed. Also, gamers who like this stuff are my actual target audience.

The game starts with the inventory screen. Why?
For player to spend initial 10 skillpoints?

The UI is incomprehensible.
Well, it actually will be improved a bit, but I doubt that for too much. Well, at least there will be help system. In fact, after getting used to this UI is not as bad as you'd think. But, yea, it is messy as hell Sad

The graphics are all horrible.
Alas. I'm trying to improve them, but I doubt there'll be much progress in that direction. Could you please expand your statement? What's the worst part - my drawing style, texturing, or everything is SO horrible it's impossible to tell elements apart? ^__^
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »

"This all is supposed to resemble old-school Wizardry-ish RPGs where a pack of bats could devastate your whole party due to bad luck AND combined with unintuitive puzzles to solve in order to proceed. Also, gamers who like this stuff are my actual target audience."
You're thinking about old-school Wizardry-ish RPGs the wrong way. NOBODY liked them because they had unintuitive puzzles. Nobody liked them because they didn't teach the player anything about their design. Nobody liked them because the game can cheat and RNG screw them. All of that are tricks designers used back then to prolong the playtime in the most unfun way. The industry has already went past that. People like these old games because of how immersive they can be, even if they had ASCII-level graphics (in fact, I think that this low level of graphics could improve a game's immersion, because people could see the game the way they imagine it, not the way the artists imagined them). People like them because of the actual depth they have, the fun mechanics they have. People still play Dwarf Fortress because of its depth, it's a very old RPG Rogue-like, yet, it has much less "bullshit" mechanics, and even if something unfair happens to the player, it's hilarious, which softens the blow and makes the game fun trying to amend that loss while laughing at that dwarf leaping straight into magma thinking his iron armor will protect him.
"There will be no 'easier tutorial part' and the game gets more and more difficult during actual gameplay." "On the other hand there will be an extended manual."
"Well, that's a bummer. So, to actually know how to play the game, I have to read instead of letting the game teach me by doing rather than showing? I'd rather go play some other hardcore games that actually teach me how to play the game better than this." Is what 99% of players will think when they play the game or see sentences like that. And that's a lot of players. Right now, there's no thing that makes me want to play the game beforehand, like, a friend was talking to me for hours about how cool this game is and got me hyped, or I saw a great trailer for this game and it got me hyped. So I've got absolutely no reason to go through text just to play a video game I don't even know. I'd rather go play some FTL or Dwarf Fortress, and not because the game's bad, but because the first 5 minutes of it are browsing through the manual, hoping I would grasp enough information in my head. And this game might be good, and true the hardcore old school games. See, here's another teaching flop you made.

"The game starts with the inventory screen. Why?
For player to spend initial 10 skill points?"
What skill points? There are skill points in this game? I could spend or use? This inventory was literally the first thing I saw after pressing "New Game". I'm not a fucking wizard to know that.

Alas. I'm trying to improve them, but I doubt there'll be much progress in that direction. Could you please expand your statement? What's the worst part - my drawing style, texturing, or everything is SO horrible it's impossible to tell elements apart? ^__^
It's not your art style that is bad. It's the fact that everything is very messy, and it's combined with the bad UI to make an impression on the graphics.. I think your screenshot sums up pretty well.
http://funkyimg.com/view/FT7V
A plain copypaste from Google Images. No background removal. Well, it doesn't sum up everything. When I'm walking from place to place, there's stuff on the screen all over the place. Is that a button? Can I press it? Ok, it's a menu I don't understand, let's move on. Oh, if I could. Sometimes the arrow keys don't respond. The sky is lit up with the "texture error" text. The draw distance is weird. I take a step, and suddenly, a fortress appears in front of me. Nay, not a fortress, but... a part of it? And the part that didn't draw is a black texture, and the rest of the fortress is obscured by a rock? The UI itself has a lot of thin text or images, that is still positioned on top of the game. Etcetera. Also, you made a mistranslation in the change log.

Player name cannot switch line anymore;
    evel 6 greatly expandedДобавлена поддержка требования перками определенной расы;

плз, англиска чилавек на тиг сурсе русскей не панемать

The change log is a mess too- first, you say the changes in the visuals, then in the content- as in, new monsters, perks and locations, and then you announce the changes in the visuals again! I suggest making categories for your change logs- Visuals; Bugfixes; Content.

ActionGamemaster
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »

The change log is a mess too
Changelog is crammed from... Er... 12 changelogs, IIRC. I was not actually hoping to get a response after all this time.

Now, on to some disturbing stuff:
1) You mentioned texture error in the sky? Can you post a screenshot? It's odd, I made sure all textures to be in place.
2) Did you get any error messages when launching the game? If you did - could you show them as well? Again, I tested the game on about 10 PC's ATM, and on each of them I did not experience any errors Sad

So, to actually know how to play the game, I have to read instead of letting the game teach me by doing rather than showing?
Let's be serious. How can I show something like effectiveness of any given skill? I made all I could to clearly show - this is a card, it is based on skill <skillname>, so its effectiveness grows when corresponding skill increases. You can find cards randomly in chests or via scripted events in secret places, or via acquiring perks. These are not those kinds of mechanics you can show via gameplay. I did all I can - on level 1 you encounter only weakest enemies, you have limited amount of cards for it to be easier to understand which ones to use when, and it contains main gameplay elements - a key, a door, start and exit. There are 6 keys involved - WASD, Space and Tab. In inventory screen you can see your stats and increase them with "+" buttons that can be seen in each and every game of this kind since I am not even sure when, first Diablo for sure. There are a couple of secrets on second level you nearly HAVE TO stumble - they are placed this way to show you how those secrets may work. Again, difficulty grows gradually, from dumb goblins who are almos impossible to be killed by, you grow up to killing demonic robots, actual demons, undeads and other stuff, which can inflict not only damage, but debuff you and buff themselves. Every RPG fan I'm aiming at cannot be possibly unfamiliar with this approach. And in any case I did all I could to show via gameplay what I could show via gameplay without overblowing scripting system.

Look, here are 3 main screens:
1) Main game screen

2) Character sheet

3) Battle screen

A plain copypaste from Google Images.
I clearly written in the first post thet there are lots of temporary content which will be replaced. Say, Warg you've pointed out currently looks this way (I hope the image will open):

and he has a clear background. I just work on the engine itself much more then on content )

There still are lots of stuff I used as temporary backup, but I am cleaning the game of this stuff with each patch.

Добавлена поддержка требования перками определенной расы;
Sorry, skipped this one. It says "Perks now support race requirements"
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »

Here's the texture problems:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sry0ccl56uip6a/everdark.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9n080pa8xoqho27/everdark0.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmwk8edtcnb9fkk/everdark1.png?dl=0

I got no errors when launching the game.

About showing something like effectiveness of skills.. You don't have to tell the player anything like that. You don't really have to tell every single piece of info about the game right away. And in this case, it's like discovering type-matchups in Pokemon- you discover and explore them by yourself. Imagine you attacked a bug with a fire attack. It does a super effective. You didn't catch it, but you knew that the Pokemon looked like a bug. And thus, the player himself found out about fire doing extra damage to bugs, all without any text, except that "super effective" text and the player's own logic. You can do that with additional mechanics in your game too. As long as the game shows that you did something that is more effective than regular, the player can learn by himself without any direct text. In the "use certain skill for effectiveness" situation, you can highlight the damage that made most of its damage because of your skill, and highlight damage that was high because of an enemy's weakness. After seeing some damages being highlighted in different colors, players can actually be curious about it and read on the subject.

Well, it wasn't the fact that the warg was copy pasted from Google Images, but... It just sticked out so much, with its white background, which is removable with Photoshop. You should have really just written "Warg" or chose a better picture and it would be better than.. This.

ActionGamemaster
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »

About showing something like effectiveness of skills.. You don't have to tell the player anything like that. You don't really have to tell every single piece of info about the game right away. And in this case, it's like discovering type-matchups in Pokemon- you discover and explore them by yourself. Imagine you attacked a bug with a fire attack. It does a super effective. You didn't catch it, but you knew that the Pokemon looked like a bug. And thus, the player himself found out about fire doing extra damage to bugs, all without any text, except that "super effective" text and the player's own logic. You can do that with additional mechanics in your game too. As long as the game shows that you did something that is more effective than regular, the player can learn by himself without any direct text. In the "use certain skill for effectiveness" situation, you can highlight the damage that made most of its damage because of your skill, and highlight damage that was high because of an enemy's weakness. After seeing some damages being highlighted in different colors, players can actually be curious about it and read on the subject.

Aye, I get what you're talking about. I was event thinking about something like that. But hell it will be hard to do T__T The problem is universalisation of engine. There are no pre-written enemies, combos or spells - everything is hand-written and interpreted by engine via specific editors. I have those for cards, perks, monsters and items. It's like morrowind construction set - but lamer Smiley I'll think on implementing smth like that, but I dunno if my skills will be sufficient...

This is REALLY odd. It's GLScene error, not the one I thought it would be. Hmmm. Maybe some hardware compatibility issues? Are there any other occurrences of this glitch? On other surfaces? Or sky only? And did it appear on level 2 (in central area of the map, where's no ceiling)?

Well, it wasn't the fact that the warg was copy pasted from Google Images, but... It just sticked out so much, with its white background, which is removable with Photoshop. You should have really just written "Warg" or chose a better picture and it would be better than.. This.
Aye, agreed. Well, soon there will be no more THAT bad stuff ) Everything will be hand-drawn to look more or less consistent Smiley
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »

I can't go to level 2. I fight the first goblin, it dies from me spamming swords and bows. Then it says I get N experience, then the game gets stuck. I can't close the battle menu, I can't move. Then the goblin attacks me (?!), and I die. Happens every time I play the game.

ActionGamemaster
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:48 AM »

I can't go to level 2. I fight the first goblin, it dies from me spamming swords and bows. Then it says I get N experience, then the game gets stuck. I can't close the battle menu, I can't move. Then the goblin attacks me (?!), and I die. Happens every time I play the game.
Wow. That's actually real crap Sad And really odd. I mean REALLY. It seems the game "crashes" after the battle ends, and then goes to glitchverse. Which never happened to me O__o I'll see what I can do to fix it. Thanks - you've directed me at a serious issue with the code.

PS Can you share your PC specs? Maybe it's time for me to actually make an LQ texture set...
ActionGamemaster
Level 0

I fight frogs regularly

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 07:38:18 AM »

I'm using a MacBook 13 inch, and its specs are:

Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 cores. It's faster than a normal 1.7x2 GHz processor, since it does more calculations each tick, but the ticks happen rarer.
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
 OS X 10.9.4

But I'm using an emulator for Windows apps, Parallels Desktop, which has Windows XP. It's emulated, which means the emulation can't bring the full potential of my specs. BTW, is it possible for you to do a Mac wrapper? Maybe the glitches will stop.

ActionGamemaster
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »

I'm using a MacBook 13 inch, and its specs are:

Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 2 cores. It's faster than a normal 1.7x2 GHz processor, since it does more calculations each tick, but the ticks happen rarer.
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
 OS X 10.9.4

But I'm using an emulator for Windows apps, Parallels Desktop, which has Windows XP. It's emulated, which means the emulation can't bring the full potential of my specs. BTW, is it possible for you to do a Mac wrapper? Maybe the glitches will stop.
Maybe that's the reason... Currently I have capabilities to compile under Windows only - I'm using Delphi XE3 Starter and far from being familiar with cross-platform programming Sad But I'll investigate this.
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »

gosh, which game engine is this ? there were A LOT of files haha.

I liked very much the girl sprite. But I chosed a the sword, and it was kinda misplaced on the tab menu.

Well, when finding an enemy you can still rotate the screen in the middle of the battle.

Also I would suggest a full-screen half-alpha black image on the background when entering battle to focus better on the enemy.

Also I didnt understand what was that single card on the left. I thought it was the sword I had equipped but couldnt use it.

Also, I would advice some transitions, called tweens, when using cards:

Cards appearing (alpha or sliding), using (like going to the center of the screen).

Here is a game I made using cards: https://apps.facebook.com/stbattlecards/?fb_source=search&ref=ts&fref=ts

(its in portuguese but I guess you could guess most of it)

See how the cards have tween in every part of the game? This builds semantics and let things more understandable.

Also a interactive battle tutorial would be nice.
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »

gosh, which game engine is this ? there were A LOT of files haha.
It's GLScene Toast Left

I liked very much the girl sprite. But I chosed a the sword, and it was kinda misplaced on the tab menu.
Yup, there are lots of UI tweaks to do Smiley

Well, when finding an enemy you can still rotate the screen in the middle of the battle.
I'm going to fix this for over a year Crazy

Also I would suggest a full-screen half-alpha black image on the background when entering battle to focus better on the enemy.
You're genius! Thanks! That's a great idea ^^

Also I didnt understand what was that single card on the left. I thought it was the sword I had equipped but couldnt use it.
That's the last card your opponent used. On the right - the las card you used )

Also, I would advice some transitions, called tweens, when using cards:

Cards appearing (alpha or sliding), using (like going to the center of the screen).

Here is a game I made using cards: https://apps.facebook.com/stbattlecards/?fb_source=search&ref=ts&fref=ts

(its in portuguese but I guess you could guess most of it)

See how the cards have tween in every part of the game? This builds semantics and let things more understandable.
Did I say you're genius?! I'll try to add animated card transitions on each player and enemy turn! Gentleman

Also a interactive battle tutorial would be nice.
Thinkin' on how to organise it... Cry
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »

A little trailer ...
http://youtu.be/WaBzrS_KDbI?list=UULeuwOxsJehYHfVdf-4h1CQ
... and update 0.5.1.2364.
  • Cards are flying to their position from player or enemy when used
  • When shuffling, shuffled cards ae also animated now
  • In fight, background behind enemy is darkened a bit now
  • The game can be launched in random mode now
  • Random map generator is rebuilt again to generate more adequate maps
  • Barbarian armor added
  • Some cards now have new graphics
  • New female hairstyle added
  • A bunch of bugs with cards is fixed
  • Cards are now shuffled correctly when player Speed is above 35
  • Items with negative bonuses now apply their bonuses correctly
  • Parent skill is now displayed correctly in spell list

Now, this update is kinda fast, so I'll link to Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B328P2hmveOQd0MtQW1rdVVkZHc/view?usp=sharing

The game will run in Russian. To change that you need to open ed.cfg file and change first line from ru to en. OR just donwnload this one and replacethe one provided with the game.
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 04:14:40 AM »

A big update has arrived. To make long story short, it contains:
- Improved system of combat visualisation;
- Reworked UI of Inventory and Spellbook;
- Other UI improvements like darkened backgrounds for messages, coloured perk state titles and other;
- Crafting system;
- New levels, monsters, spells and perks;
- Lots of Editor improvements;

Get it from IndieDB as soon as it'll be checked.

OR get it from Google Drive (in this case before playing open ed.cfg and change first line from ru to en)
Rastrelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »

An new update here. To make the list short:
1) New monsters, levels, spells, perks, items
2) Elements system - now cards, monsters and you can affine to one of 5 Elements which will modify interactions in-battle
3) Pseudofullscreen mode
4) Additional methods of level decoration - free meshes, able to move and very 90-es looking particle fire
5) Lots of older levels improvements
6) Lots of balance tweaks
7) TONS of changes in the Editor
Cool Lots of bugfixes

The game is moving towards the full levelset - it's now 21 out of 31.

nVidia users! Your feedback is especially needed. There were problems with GLScene texture processing on latest drivers (347.xx); this problem should be solved in current update (thanks to guys from GLScene forums), but this requires checking for I have no possibility to test on nVidia hardware. Thanks!

I hope this update will be at leas interesting. Enjoy!

Current version - 0.8.2.3528
Get from Google Drive!
Get from Yandex Disk!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic