Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:12:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDog Street
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dog Street  (Read 8562 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »

Hello!
Eh, a small idea of mine shown in a few mockups. Why did the point and click adventure die?  Cry

Well, I never actually played any of them, but I'm sure they were awsome.

So this is the first time I actually try what's called pixel-art, in the meaning of it being deliberately low-res. Saw sereneworx cafe mockups, and wanted to try myself. The style is black and white/sepia toned, with some colored lights. The resolution is 320*240, half the screen is used for text only. What do you think? Tell me what's good and bad, and where I screwed up the language... As I said, I'm new to this pixel thing, so any suggestions are appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:56:14 AM by JLJac » Logged
i stole your car
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »

The style is fantastic, it looks great. Also do I see the red letters "AGS" in the second screenshot, perhaps referencing what you are making the game in? I'm a huge fan of old point and click adventure games. Don't let the genre down!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »

The concepts looks great, but -

Well, I never actually played any of them, but I'm sure they where awsome.

Huh?

Try The Curse of Monkey Island, it's my favorite Smiley
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 02:49:35 PM »

I second that.

Also Monkey Island II: LeChuck's revenge has some truly amazing hand painted backgrounds, and atmosphere to die for. There's a PC Emulator for old LucasArts games called ScummVM.

Fun concepts. The third reminds me of William Gibson.
Alquesm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:40:49 AM »

Great graphics! Really nice atmosphere! - But I think you should reconsider using all caps for the text. All caps is really not very reader-friendly, but might actually unconsciously (Or even consciously) annoy the reader. You can get away with all caps in some circumstances, but from the genre you have chosen (Adventure) and the screen shots, my guess is you'll have a lot of text, which is great. But if it's hard to read, people might only skim your text, or even skip some of it, which would be sad, as it's obvious you've put an effort into writing a good text!

Well, that's just my opinion though. It looks really good! Keep up the great work! Smiley
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 05:13:09 AM »

SMALL CAPS looks capsy too and are easier to read. At least a bit.

I like the look of the game Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
Microwave
BANNED
Level 0

i'll stir fry you in my wok

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »

That looks really rad, and you said you haven't played any adventure games before: don't, it would be really neat to see a game made with no influence from other ones of its genre.
nanotie
Level 0

Paul Legovitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »

Someone has to code a software that would make games out of mockups.
I want to play that game ! Shocked

My take on the font would be : draw your own font with only one color, the interpolation looks really bad on small fonts. I don't mind reading caps as long as they're well drawn.

Point and click adventures are all about good stories, dialogues and pixel art details. Just like those screens. But I never played any "genre noir" adventures, so you definitely have something here.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:34:07 AM »

That is so beautiful. Maybe adventure games died because they didn't look as good as those images Wink

What do you think? Tell me what's good and bad, and where I screwed up the language...
No adventure game has caught my spontaneous attention like this, and obviously it's because of those beautifully colored images. Gray background and red, green and blue details seems like an awesome idea. It looks good because of the lead pencil drawing style, I think.

It's quite a lot of compact text, and I'm not speaking English natively so I don't wanna ruin too much by commenting on that, but shouldn't it be "APARTMENT'S" in the last image? Other than that, your language seems fine to me.

Ah, the middle image looks like a fusion of a certain Shinra building stairway and a "Loveless" alley. Some people might know what I mean. Cool anyway.

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 03:05:20 AM »

This looks incredible, near perfect.
I especially love how you used the blur in the first mockup, I hope you use it more in similar situations, tastefully of course.

I agree with the all caps thing, it's a bit jarring.

All you need is awesome lilting jazz music.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »

Thanks everyone!
I have now come up with most of the story, but I still don't have time working on this, too much of my time go to another project. I'll have to put it on hold for a few months, unless someone offer to help that is Well, hello there!

Don't really know much about this caps thing, heard about it in school a few years ago, but I think I have forgot everything. What's the difference?

I really should draw my own font without anti-alias, but I don't know how. What software do you use?

Someone has to code a software that would make games out of mockups.
Haha :D

Thanks for the support Smiley

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:00:55 PM by JLJac » Logged
nanotie
Level 0

Paul Legovitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 06:24:45 AM »

I really should draw my own font without anti-alias, but I don't know how. What software do you use?

I use the sprite editor of Game Maker but Paint is just as fine.
To draw your own font you must follow the ASCII table order :
"!" is 33, "0" is 48, "A" is 65, "a" is 97...
http://www.asciitable.com/

Depending on your tools you should be able to easily incorporate it in your game (Game Maker has a build-in function for this)

Here's a little collection of the font I use for my projects :

Feel free to use/modify them.

This last screen looks just as great as the others.
I have now come up with most of the story
Promising !  Well, hello there!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »

That font in the middle looks just like the standard system font on old macs Shocked

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »

This is looking great.

Tell me what's good and bad, and where I screwed up the language...

«Those carpets were probably expensive.»: no h in were.  Where is a place (somewhere).  I see you've made this mistake a couple times, so one possible way to remember this:  «Here» is also a place.  You can easily hear the «h» in «here» when saying it.

«This triggered an old fire alarm»: and -> an

Also Dim_Yimma_H is probably right about the «apartment's» thing.  «Apartments'» would be right if he has multiple apartments.

Don't really know much about this caps thing, heard about it in school a few years ago, but I think I have forgot everything. What's the difference?

Caps is short for capitals, which is BIG LETTERS LIKE THIS.  Also called upper case.  small letters are lower case.  lower or Mixed case is better for reading, specially when there's lots of text like in this game.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »

Thanks, I think most of the screwed up spelling is fixed now. English obviously isn't my native tounge, so I always have a bit of a problem with this...

Isn't "apartment's" short for "apartment is"? Just wondering....

If all caps is only capitals, I think I have all caps, don't I? Huh?

And btw, sparky, I have actually read some william gibson stuff. Hope it won't influence me too much though Smiley

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »

Your English is very natural- I never would have guessed you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't told us. I envy all you multilingual people, all I speak is English.

Isn't "apartment's" short for "apartment is"? Just wondering....
In words like "don't" or "there's" the apostrophe is because the words are shortened (from "do not" and "there is").

But you also use the apostrophe for possession, as in "the dog's tongue." When you're using a possessive, it's not really short for "the dog is tongue." - it's more like "the tongue belonging to the dog."

And btw, sparky, I have actually read some william gibson stuff. Hope it won't influence me too much though Smiley
Funny you mention Gibson, I just found a hardcover copy of Idoru today Smiley. I'm sure you'll put your own original spin on this story, it doesn't feel like an immitation at all.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 06:25:36 AM »

Your English is very natural- I never would have guessed you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't told us. I envy all you multilingual people, all I speak is English.
Totally agree.  I started learning Spanish in High School, and was finding it quite easy, but I ended up having enough other option classes I wanted to take, so I didn't have time to finish it at higher grade levels.  Ah well, I'll go back to it at some point (hopefully within the next 3 years at the worst).

Oh, and this game looks fantastic; you'd better make it, or you'll disappoint all of us.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 06:55:56 AM »

This game looks awesome. It's now first on my indie waiting list (Yes, that list has Fez and Braid too).

Cool
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:35 AM »

Hablo un poco español también, pero mi escritura es muy mal, siempre necestito un diccionaro Wink

I think they study french in the schools in UK, so I take it you guys are from the US then?

Cheater, that's a lot of pressure! Well, thanks Smiley
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

Hablo un poco español también, pero mi escritura es muy mal, siempre necestito un diccionaro Wink

I think they study french in the schools in UK, so I take it you guys are from the US then?

Cheater, that's a lot of pressure! Well, thanks Smiley
Careful buddy, there are a lot of Canadians on TIGS too!  :D

And the studying French thing is very, very Canadian; that's what us anglophones get for having a separatist-sympathetic French province (that Phil Fish lives in; really, it's harder to hate on Quebec knowing Fish is there).  High Schools here usually offer at least a couple languages, but taking a language course is entirely optional.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic