Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:34:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs/\/\/\/~~SCRIPT KIDDIES~~\/\/\/\ (DEAD)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: /\/\/\/~~SCRIPT KIDDIES~~\/\/\/\ (DEAD)  (Read 15924 times)
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

Script Kiddies is a (small) game about the awesomeness, the oddness, and the silliness of computer and video game culture. It's also a game about competitive computer hacking. At its core though, it's a game about entering a series of random buttons faster than the other player and totally shakin' your booty in their face. Planned release is Spring 2016 for PC/Mac/Linux.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOALS:
5% - Basic platforming/syncing script loading on both player's floors
7% - Gamepad Support (XBOX) (Meant to be played with a controller)
10% - Art Direction / Music
13.987% - Dance Moves
20% - Refit Gameplay to new Art Style
30% - Main Menu (without extra planned stuff)
35% - FIRST ALPHA DEMO RELEASED! (6/7/14)
40% - Muliplayer/Character/Virus Implementations

50% - Story Mode
60% - Levels/Arenas
70% - Tournament Mode
80% - Finish Art/Animations/Sounds
85% - PROMOTE and TESTING-PARTIES
90% - Finishing Touches
100% - Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over time I've come to realize what the gameplay really is: a PvP server-hacking, tower defense game. Each player (or a player and the computer) try to take down the three servers of the other player's three floors, while simultaneously defending his/her own three floors from the opponent's attacks. In order to send a virus, the player has to input a series of random buttons faster than the other player (if they are on the same floor). It becomes a game of: "who is the better scripter AND who is the better floor manager?!"

Also, everyone shakes their bum. duh.

INSPIRATION: Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Samurai Gunn, Tetris Attack

Follow for updates and random thoughts!

-----------------------------------------SCREENS-----------------------------------------

Bdub getting infected in his own crib.

10+ playable characters!

The Church of 60 Frames Per Second

Kevin and Jack playing the game... (Jack lost)

Programming Leagues

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:31:31 PM by NinthPower » Logged

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »

Got basic menu stuff up and running. Again, placeholder art. The general idea is there tho Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »

when a floor is secured/dead:

Meeting up with Drew this week to go over art stuffs. Happy Tuesday!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »

PS: I promise I won't make this so GIF heavy! Mostly screen shots later I promise.

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

What happens when there's only 1 floor left and both players are on that floor?
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »

Right, when a floor goes down there is a timer set, something short like 30 seconds, until it reboots. This can be affected by the type of virus you use which is selected when you pick your character. I'm still working on implementing those mechanics but should be in the near future. It's next on the list  Wink

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »

Here's a mockup of how the art is shaping up:

I'm surprisingly satisfied with the way this is heading. Not perfect (don't love the console below the screen), but I think the game will look good as I move along. ART-DIRECTION Complete-ish!

If there are any ideas on what to do with the wall behind the server and computer that's be sweet. I wanted to add some depth so it looked like there were things behind the server/compy but it wasn't looking great. Only so much detail I can get with this style...

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 05:42:47 AM »

Just a quick update before a big update. Been doing a ton of sprite work this week.

Script Kiddies and Chronos

Anyway, I've got a big redesign update that I'll post tomorrow when I have everything together. Should be great!

locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:10:15 AM »

Looks cool man, keep at it.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »

Thanks, redesign up.

locknic
Level 1

Dominic Mortlock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »

Thanks, redesign up.

Nice! I like the gif of the room and the dancing.

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »

Digging the look, very pleasant, will keep an eye on this.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

Thanks! @kraed I saw the fishing game on screenshot Saturday. Looks great.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »

put this up for #screenshotsaturday, even though, it's not really a screenshot...

Crazy busy with finals this week and next so just doing some little dance animations. Here's Chronos feelin' it. Go shorty it's your upgrade, we gonna party like its yo upgrade!

simple version

better(?) version

I definitely like the second better.

Critiques of the animations I put up would be solid ps, cuz I am not an artist  Cry

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »

Just a quick update: I got a whole lot done during the week break I had off school and I have been working on a lot of art lately because the placeholder stuff has worn its welcome. I'm just putting everything together for a basic multiplayer game and I'll do a let's play video to show it off by next week.

My goals for this and next week:
- finalize all new art adjustments in multiplayer prototype
- get character selection screen done
- get 'infected' screen-shake done
- implement reboot timer on floors

I redesigned the menu and it looks and functions great thanks to some good menu examples nd Kotaku's 10 commandments of Game Menus: http://kotaku.com/5955855/the-ten-commandments-of-video-game-menus. I thought I had a screenshot of it and I would've put it up but I guess I don't Sad The Let's Play will really show it off though!

Also, I've hit a 1000 views on the devlog! Subtracting the 947 times I've checked the page that means like 5 people have looked at it! woot!  Hand Clap Hand Clap

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »

Okay! It has been a few weeks but I HAVE been working on the game nearly everyday. Lots and lots of great stuff coming up. Here's a list of the stuff I just finished from my to-do list:

To do:
-match up 2nd player computers/servers with 1st player: DONE
-adjust how virus' work is done down on scoreboard: DONE
* There is a problem with which floor is infected when player 1 hits player 2 on floor 1: DONE
- change scripting so the position goes back to 0 when they get off the computer (prevent array position mix-up): DONE
- Implement new virus killer: DONE
- implement REBOOT timer: DONE!

This is my first full game so of course I've made some naive judgments about how to make this work Smiley One of them was that I misunderstood how difficult it is to make a multiplayer game, let alone a multiplayer game where things need to occur in sink on both player's screens. The whole REBOOT timer took a while (and a lot of pseudocode) to get right. The reboot timer fulfills two purposes: preventing a stalemate from occurring, and forces the player to strategize attacks and defends, special usage, etc.

When a floor goes down, a timer appears on each player's screen on that floor, preventing access to that computer until it hits 0. To win, all the other player's servers need to be down at the same time. This makes things pretty frantic! And lots more fun.

I feel pretty good about my progress so I'll bump up the devlog to 30% since the menu is done (without the story mode and tournament sections being active yet), and I've done a ton of sprite asset re-makes. Here's the menu!:

The animations of the kiddies and their screens on the bottom are done but I haven't sequenced them totally yet.

I think I'll have a playable demo up soon. I was thinking of submitting to Intel's Level Up so I wanted to get a full demo done soon. I know I mentioned doing a let's play and I'd love to do that too but my 'friends' haven't been texting me back so... I don't know when that will be. phew.. Hand Clap That was a lot.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »

Demo of version 0.0.0.0.0.01 nearly done Smiley had some issues with collision masks today, after you would jump and land in a corner, the player would get half stuck in the wall and not be able to jump. You could get out by walking but it was just weird. Few more things before I'll upload the demo:

- add "Access Denied" to unavailable menu options.
- finish Jack and Kevin Menu animations
- tutorial screens

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »

Getting some audio done! I'm a pretty okay music maker but MAN! I just didn't realize how hard it is to make straight up sounds. But I have a good group of sounds in place that I'm going to leave for the first alpha build/demo/thing.

The only things I need to do now are:

- fix terrible pre-made reverb in Cakewalk
- adjust all music to be around same volume
- test/build on Mac

Hopefully I can get that done by Saturday. That's my goal: release alpha on Saturday.

Toodles.

ps. - suggestions for indie games with great sound would be appreciated. What I mean is sound design, not music. Thanks!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »

The demo is live!! TURN UP!

Download, play, break, yes. I was able to playtest it on Thursday with some buddies and here's some quick videos of them playing the game: here and here

They were able to expose a few bugs I was able to fix between now and then so things should run pretty smoothly. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test the Mac build on my buddies' Macs so that is currently unavailable Sad.

To play the demo you'll need to XBOX 360 controllers and a friend! Right now you have to use the d-pad for the menu but I'll change that in a later update.
FEEDBACK

Any and all feedback is totally awesome. I would really love to know what ideas people have for character specials and level designs/backgrounds. I really like the design of the menu and I'd like to build off of that for the multiplayer level but I just really stink with creating textures and backgrounds so any ideas are appreciated. Also, while playing it seems like Kiki is probably the best character because her special is just better and more controlled than the others. I figured the other two passive specials for Kevin and Jack would work, and I think Jack's should actually be increased, but I'm not sure how attractive and useful Kevin's special is. Anyways, I would REALLY love ideas for special virus attacks cuz I got nothin'!

Thanks and enjoy!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 06:05:17 AM »

WIP dances.

Already fixed the colors on CAP (left-most), but mostly they look okay Sad

-Mac release of demo ASAP.
PEACE.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: