Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:01:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMusic to Build By
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music to Build By  (Read 2698 times)
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2014, 01:41:16 AM »

I keep finding new artists, and some songs just make me think "This is perfect to listen to for coding." I used to listen to a lot of Kan Gao and Danny Baranowsky, cause it kinda helped me get in the mindset, but I certainly don't have problems getting into that anymore.

Nowadays, I find I enjoy really high-energy instrumental/EDM (EnV is the most energetic EDM I've heard in a while). Anything with lyrics usually distracts me, but I just discovered 'Royal Republic,' which has great energy and lyrics I don't care about.

What do you guys listen to when you work?

Check out my devlog!
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »

mostly

, the lyrics are more of another instrument than anything else so it doesn't occupy the linguistic part of the brain
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »

I tend to listen to the same bands I listened to in high school, on repeat over and over again on grooveshark.  They're pretty lyric heavy, lyrics don't really bother me, though I'm not coding either, but I've listened to the same songs for years so maybe it's kind of background noise by now.  It's when I hear new music, that I have trouble focusing.  elliott smith, radiohead, dinosaur jr., cat power, cocorosie, grimes, sebadoh, sonic youth, innocence mission, laura marling, land of talk, sharon van etten
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:08:27 AM »

mostly

, the lyrics are more of another instrument than anything else so it doesn't occupy the linguistic part of the brain
I never think anyone else listens to them. They're great, but a lot of times, I find their sound to be too... jagged, if that makes sense. But the lyrics tend to be pretty subtle, which is great for working.

Check out my devlog!
Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:36:41 AM »

I for one just have to have a playlist of some Full On Psytrance blasting in the BG while I code.  Concerned

Stuff like D_Maniac, Vibraddict, Mystical Complex, Electro Sun etc.
examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMQAvlCZmI

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
hobblygobbly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »

I listen to some progressive ambient and downtempo, stuff like Carbon Based Lifeforms has a good rhythm and a good influence on concentration.

A good example is a song from EVE Online's OST called Below the Asteroids. Always gives me a huge nostalgia hit. Good mixture of ambient and downtempo. I love studying/programming to such a rhythm.

https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/eve-online-below-the-asteroids
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

(including coding)
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »

(including coding)

What did I just watch? xD

Check out my devlog!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »

i never listen to music while working on games unless im in a noisy environment

when i do its usually some ambient shit, like brian eno's "thursday afternoon" or

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »

I always listen to www.mixcloud.com mixes from DJ's when doing artwork where I don't need to concentrate Smiley Such a great site if you like dance or house or chillout etc...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

Used to only listen to

while working. Now it's mostly OverClocked Remix or some random youtube video.
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:13:19 PM »

@ Layl: I'm digging this. Kinda reminds me of some of the Portal 2 music.

Anyone listen to MC Frontalot?

Check out my devlog!
He-Who-Develops-Games
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »

Most things from Warp Records, Rephlex Records, Planet µ, etc.

Personal favourites are Venetian Snares, Oneohtrix Point Never, Autechre.
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »

and

always get me pumped to crank out some Sci-Fi.

doublehappy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »

Lately it's been the Deus Ex - Human Revolution soundtrack, but

when i do its usually some ambient shit, like brian eno's "thursday afternoon" or

Agreed!
brettchalupa
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »

Today while coding all I listened to was Pajjama (http://pajjama.bandcamp.com/). So good.
feglk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:07 AM »

I generally like to listen to something that fits the mood to what I am coding for, as it gets me in the right zone for what I'm trying to create. So recently a lot of ambient, floaty, relaxed stuff.

Not had much music on recently as I've been implementing the music and sound effects into my game, so its been long silences, followed by wrong-sounding sound effects, followed by annoyed grunts and then more silence (Punctuated by the TapTapTapClick of the keyboard and mouse)

Or if I'm not sure what music to go for, I usually default to some kind of jazz. The more productive I feel, the more... Jazzy...

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'm making a game. Take a look http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40092.msg1019350
FTLRalph
Level 1

What?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:29 AM »

I find myself going into and out of week/month-long periods where I listen to a playlist of a bunch of retro video game soundtracks I have.

It's really good stuff - Sonic, Spyro, some lesser-known games like Combat Cars, etc...
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »

besides regular video game music, lots of spacey repetitive ambient electronic what have you

(terry riley - a rainbow in curved air)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic