Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:21:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: The Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]  (Read 112857 times)
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:35 AM »

I got an idea for the dual weapon aiming.. it might not be easy to use though. Extend an axis along the line that the player is facing. If the location of the mouse is closer to the player move the hands close to each other. If the location is farther from the player, move the hands apart, or vice versa.

Hotline Miami used the middle mouse to lock-on to targets. I can see this game allowing you to lock-on to two targets when using dual weapons. Additionally, I remember a Max Payne mod that had an attack that would move your arms 45 degrees from front to sides. Or was it a full 180 move from forward to back?

But the gameplay mechanic displayed seems pretty functional, similar to the Max Payne one I mentioned. Your idea makes sense, but I can see a lot of players that don't actually aim but move the mouse to face a general location having some trouble with that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:38:27 AM by MurderOfPoes » Logged

fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »

This is looking really promising!

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

You could make this a speed run type of game, which would be kind of like playing out a movie action sequence. It would be about maximizing the use of your weapons and skills to complete the levels in the fastest time possible.

For example, the 2nd gif in your last post about dual wielding. If there were guys in each of those rooms in the right spots, the most efficient way to go through there would be to slow time, bust out your dual pistols and spin around and if you timed it right you would hit them all and keep moving. Then pull out the shotgun and blast the next two guys.

Assuming you did it right, it would look like a nicely scripted action movie. Of course there would be a hundred different ways to do it, but I think "high scores" and just the satisfaction of doing it properly and seeing the results (read: blasting dudes up and watching blood fly without getting a scratch) of that would be enough for some nice replay value. You would definitely need to record the round so we could watch a replay of the carnage Hand Metal Left Evil Hand Metal Right

Lift - Devlog | Play | Twitter
hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »

That's quite impressive from a visual standpoint.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »

This is amazing, I wish I was making this game so bad...

Blambo
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »

Dude this is sick!
TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »

I got an idea for the dual weapon aiming.. it might not be easy to use though. Extend an axis along the line that the player is facing. If the location of the mouse is closer to the player move the hands close to each other. If the location is farther from the player, move the hands apart, or vice versa.

This could probably work really well if instead of making it the mouse itself, you use the Mouse Wheel scrolling, and then you could go quickly from two pistols forward all the way to pointing them in two opposite directions. Then Mouse Wheel Click could snap it back to forward.

tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »

This could probably work really well if instead of making it the mouse itself, you use the Mouse Wheel scrolling, and then you could go quickly from two pistols forward all the way to pointing them in two opposite directions. Then Mouse Wheel Click could snap it back to forward.

I support this idea. Even though my mouse wheel has been randomly scrolling by itself lately. :)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »

I like this idea, seems intuitive and frees up the right mouse button for something else

And congrats on the media coverage!
http://kotaku.com/the-hong-kong-massacre-is-an-awesome-name-for-a-game-1532079320
http://indiestatik.com/2014/02/25/the-hong-kong-massacre/
http://indiegames.com/2014/02/preview_the_hong_kong_massacre.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:47:22 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
kiesto88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »

Wow, this game might be even more visceral than Hotline Miami.  Great job!

Back our Duelyst Kickstarter: http://kck.st/NLR937
Blambo
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »

Some fanart!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »

Saw this today on a Polish gaming website (cdaction.pl) and all my co-workers ended up behind my back saying how fucking amazing this is Smiley

vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

Some fanart!

Awesome!   Toast Left

YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »

Some fanart!

Amazing

Revin_Goff
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »

Fantastic fan-art.
Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

This looks amazing. Holy moley.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »

Wow, pretty good concept indeed. Kind of reborn GTA II, back in the days where this game wasn't so much corrupted by shares and stakeholders. Keep on!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
MRDi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2014, 12:23:42 AM »

Great job. I am waiting for more news from you, this game looks splendid!
PS. There is another article about The Hong Kong Massacre in Polish gaming web:
http://gameplay.pl/news.asp?ID=83607
bome99
Level 1

Pipes And Mushrooms

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2014, 02:32:11 AM »

I absolutely love this!!!  Can't wait to see more!
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

So today I did a bit of testing with the dual weapons setup. Here are some short gif:s to show it in action.

Basically you just hold down the right mouse button to extend your arms to the side and can continue shooting with the left mouse button, when releasing right button the arms goes back to normal. 

Will need some more testing on how it works and if it´s worth to keep, right now it feels a bit unnatural since the cross-hair is in another place then where you shoot.   

Holy shit! Shocked

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic