Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025714 Posts in 41106 Topics- by 32709 Members - Latest Member: marciabrandt14

July 22, 2014, 11:36:31 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsThe Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: The Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]  (Read 43358 times)
dinopillow
Manbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

Hey, if you get a chance to check your PMs, I work for a media outlet and we'd love to write about your game
ephoete
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

That night-vision mode is radically sick... simply awesome.  Gomez

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
vreski
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

Some time since last update.

Prototype Trailer

First of all the trailer is done and can be viewed over here:
http://youtu.be/vcBOUie-LyA
Thanks to Revin Goff for the nice music.

Hopefully it shows some more stuff than the gifs released so far.

The Game

The work on porting the game to Unity is proceeding well. It has forced me to make a couple of decision on what the direction the game will take.

The biggest one is graphics. The idea from the beginning was to keep the 2d topdown style when moving to Unity, this will probably not be the case. Instead all the graphics will be made in 3d with a topdown camera with small perspective on it(although if you want a orthographic camera this could be an switch option of course).
Still testing this out but it will most likely stay that way. I have a very talented 3d artist that has taking over the graphic part and it is looking very promising already.

So whats the good and bad thing about this potential move?

The good one is that the game will look much more nicer, with shadows, textures and all that. It will allow the world to be more "alive" with real physics on objects, destructible object like doors will alos help to create a better "action feel" in the game.
And using 3d characters with motion-captures animation will help to up the quality a lot and also opens up the potential for dives, rolls and that kind of movement.

The down side is of course that the scope of game increases a lot and will probably slow down the development some. And I can also think that it might move away to much from the original concept graphic vise (as seen in the trailer) so it might actually feel a bit like a different game for some people. (Donīt worry it will still be very bloody) I guess we have to wait and see.

But overall I'm quite excited about the quality of the stuff that is already up and running in the game now, so it will only improve further and hopefully lay the road for a better game in the end.

That is all for now.
Thanks

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

great music, man!

KiltedKaboodle
Manbaby

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »

I just want to say, as someone who is also a big fan of HK action, particularly John Woo, this game already has a pretty good take on the style and it definitely looks like it's gonna go places. (I made this account purely because of this game)

One thing in particular I was curious about was if there were any plans for missions that are specifically co-op. Don't get me wrong, I'd still play this if it were just singleplayer, but I'm sure you know how fond Woo was of putting a heroic duo together.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, and I wish you the best of luck
TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »

It's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the split fire mechanic is falling a bit short, possibly because you show gameplay of using the mechanic to hit someone at the side, when you could easily turn and focus both guns on them. It makes it look less like a smooth spreading shot like in the other scenes, and more like a dude just flailing his guns around and wasting bullets :p

It's not that it's all bad, but it shows that it has very specific circumstances for its use.

vreski
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »

It's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the split fire mechanic is falling a bit short, possibly because you show gameplay of using the mechanic to hit someone at the side, when you could easily turn and focus both guns on them. It makes it look less like a smooth spreading shot like in the other scenes, and more like a dude just flailing his guns around and wasting bullets :p

It's not that it's all bad, but it shows that it has very specific circumstances for its use.

Yes I agree, hopefully I will be able to work out some better way of handling the duals now that I use a proper animation system in Unity, which should opens up for individual controls of the arms and such. 

TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

You can do it! It's already looking pretty damn fun.

david_is_neato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »

Yes I agree, hopefully I will be able to work out some better way of handling the duals now that I use a proper animation system in Unity, which should opens up for individual controls of the arms and such. 

I was thinking about the duals and the way the game seems to play based on what I've seen. When you're turning in the gifs and video it seems pretty sweeping (flowing, momentum..) as opposed to "always be directly facing mouse pointer". If that's the case, the spread eagle mechanic becomes very handy (heh??)... you want to be flowing through an area with as little wasted movement as possible, using spreads when turning directly to face someone isn't part of your flow.

Writing that made me realize how cool individual arm control (1 forward, 1 to the side etc.) would be.
arkhometha
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

The game is looking very good from the trailer. I like the art and gore approach and the music really fits. Really fits, and that's important.
I'm also a fan of the setting.

Really looking forward to it, Vreski! Keep up the good work!
Nagisawa
Manbaby

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

Would like to point out that firing tonnes of bullets, and having them destroy the scenery and maybe hit a few guys in slow motion is very, very, very John Woo.

And yes, I did just register to say that.  But I also want to say that I am looking forward to this game.  Really want it.  Looks really good as it is now.  Can't wait to see how you improve it.
TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »

Would like to point out that firing tonnes of bullets, and having them destroy the scenery and maybe hit a few guys in slow motion is very, very, very John Woo.

And yes, I did just register to say that.  But I also want to say that I am looking forward to this game.  Really want it.  Looks really good as it is now.  Can't wait to see how you improve it.

Well sure, the chaotic destruction is very crazy and fun, but it doesn't change the fact that waving a gun around and shooting where no enemies are is still redundant, and it looks awkward to do a split fire and start plugging a wall when simply turning and focusing fire would work better - at least from a gameplay perspective. I'm just saying it looked silly when he did it next to a wall, just to hit one guy. Environmental chaos in Woo's flicks really only happened around someone who was getting shot at.

It brings up an interesting contrast though, of what is pertinent to use when, since splitting fire reduces the firepower being aimed in one direction, but allows you to hit multiple targets.

tapmybuttons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »

Great concept. Are you using Unity Pro?
Nilanjan
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

This is just great. Smiley

Souls of Titans
Dean