Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:50:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: The Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]  (Read 113170 times)
MRDi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:08 AM »

And how is your work going? Any fancy news for us? Smiley
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:57 AM »

And how is your work going? Any fancy news for us? Smiley

Well, not super much for updates at the moment. Have been working on a Greenlight trailer for Steam mostly. It have taken a bit more time then I anticipated but if nothing terrible happens it should be done soon.

I also decided to move into 3d to create the levels, mostly because I want to somewhat future safe it if/when I move the game to Unity3D (it will still be top-down 2d of course).
But it made more sense to build up a library of 3d assets that later on easily can be modified and improved upon without the need to remake a lot of stuff (Before everything was done in Photoshop the old 2d way)

Anyway here is a small gif showing part of a level from untextured 3d to an early in-game version.

Also want to thank everyone for the big support and all the comments, it really makes it more fun to make the game when you hear that sort of stuff, so thanks a lot!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:57 AM »

Shocked
Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
Screamy

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
MRDi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

That is really great info. Moving to 3d maybe won't make thinks easier in some aspects but for sure will give you better flexibility in future improvements. Some new features and options can be used now. And of course moving to Unity will be much easier.
btw, GIF looks amazing. Ricochets, sparks and smoke are neat, you truly like particle effects Smiley
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

Have you ever thought about having the player use two different types of guns at the same time? Not a shotgun because that'd be silly be combinations of pistol, machine pistol, magnum, revolver, etc. would be loved.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »

If it's sawed-off he could one hand it. What is that gif from by the way?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »

Oh, is that where Sleeping Dog got its inspiration for the wedding mission?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »

If it's sawed-off he could one hand it. What is that gif from by the way?

The Killer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097202/?ref_=ttmc_mc_tt)

Full sequence here (NSFW):

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »

Wow. Just, wow.

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 01:13:27 AM »

Yep, Woo's the man, which is why his work has influenced this project. Also watch Hard-Boiled, and A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2.

Edit: A good idea just struck me. How about laser pointers on guns instead of a crosshair? That should solve the crosshair problem, I think, maybe.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:31:33 AM by gunswordfist » Logged

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Ayuvelo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 12:17:14 AM »

A good idea just struck me. How about laser pointers on guns instead of a crosshair? That should solve the crosshair problem, I think, maybe.

That's a great idea! And please put in unlockable different colours or so Smiley
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 04:09:05 AM »

Some updates
Hey folks, here is some updates on the project:

Trailer + GreenLight
Pretty much done with it, just needs some final tweaking and then I will put it online. It took alot more time then I thought. Mostly because I wanted to up the quality some more since I posted the first gifs.

Unity porting
Started to make some basic stuff in Unity alongside with the trailer work. The main thing I focused on was getting to learn how Mechanim worked since I might end up using it for characters. This will hopefully make it possible to make better movement for player ( dives, aiming and such, I also like the idea to have ragdolls for enemies when killed. Grin) The initial testing went good and I now have some better understanding how Mechanim works (blendtrees and all that stuff)

The next thing to do in Unity is to start making the basic control and weapon systems to be able to test Mechanim on a bigger scale. I will post some updates about that when I have it.

Edit: A good idea just struck me. How about laser pointers on guns instead of a crosshair? That should solve the crosshair problem, I think, maybe.

This is a good idea, should try and implement it as soon as I can.

And here is a quick gif showing some quick test I did with nightvision and tracers, not sure at all if I will be using this but I kinda like the feel it has right now. Time will tell if it could be turned into some fun gameplay.

Thanks

TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 07:29:01 AM »

And here is a quick gif showing some quick test I did with nightvision and tracers, not sure at all if I will be using this but I kinda like the feel it has right now. Time will tell if it could be turned into some fun gameplay.

Thanks

This night vision could be good, maybe you could add a "Mission Mode" unlocked after the main game that requires the player to complete a handful of levels under specific circumstances. Adds longevity to the overall game, gives players a chance to try out and learn many different game mechanics, and you can create unique experiences that will be fun, but just wouldn't have fit with the main story itself.

You can have levels for...
Night Vision - kill in the dark
The Dove - kill only during dives. Helps the player learn diving, and where it's safe to do so
Twosome Time - kill only during Split Fire. Emphasizes the virtue of small arms that can be dual-wielded and trains players to get good at aiming in two directions
Real Time - kill without Slow-Motion. Teaches players not to rely solely on slow-motion
Environmentalist - Kill only with environmental objects (eg explosive barrels)
Through the Looking Glass - kill only with bullets that pass through glass. Incentivizes learning where glass is, and getting the drop on enemies, because they can break the glass before you
Shoot or Slow - You can only do one or the other at a time, so you have to slow time to avoid fire, but then take out targets in real time

If you get shadows in the game, you could have some challenges based around the character being invisible, and having to avoid fire based solely on your shadow to judge your position. Or where only the enemies cast a shadow and you have to try and take them out judged solely on that shadow.

Just a few ideas >.<

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »

The nightvision looks incredible. Thanks for considering my suggestion. Smiley

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
dinopillow
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »

Hey, if you get a chance to check your PMs, I work for a media outlet and we'd love to write about your game
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »

That night-vision mode is radically sick... simply awesome.  Gomez

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »

Some time since last update.

Prototype Trailer

First of all the trailer is done and can be viewed over here:

Thanks to Revin Goff for the nice music.

Hopefully it shows some more stuff than the gifs released so far.

The Game

The work on porting the game to Unity is proceeding well. It has forced me to make a couple of decision on what the direction the game will take.

The biggest one is graphics. The idea from the beginning was to keep the 2d topdown style when moving to Unity, this will probably not be the case. Instead all the graphics will be made in 3d with a topdown camera with small perspective on it(although if you want a orthographic camera this could be an switch option of course).
Still testing this out but it will most likely stay that way. I have a very talented 3d artist that has taking over the graphic part and it is looking very promising already.

So whats the good and bad thing about this potential move?

The good one is that the game will look much more nicer, with shadows, textures and all that. It will allow the world to be more "alive" with real physics on objects, destructible object like doors will alos help to create a better "action feel" in the game.
And using 3d characters with motion-captures animation will help to up the quality a lot and also opens up the potential for dives, rolls and that kind of movement.

The down side is of course that the scope of game increases a lot and will probably slow down the development some. And I can also think that it might move away to much from the original concept graphic vise (as seen in the trailer) so it might actually feel a bit like a different game for some people. (DonĀ“t worry it will still be very bloody) I guess we have to wait and see.

But overall I'm quite excited about the quality of the stuff that is already up and running in the game now, so it will only improve further and hopefully lay the road for a better game in the end.

That is all for now.
Thanks

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

great music, man!

KiltedKaboodle
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »

I just want to say, as someone who is also a big fan of HK action, particularly John Woo, this game already has a pretty good take on the style and it definitely looks like it's gonna go places. (I made this account purely because of this game)

One thing in particular I was curious about was if there were any plans for missions that are specifically co-op. Don't get me wrong, I'd still play this if it were just singleplayer, but I'm sure you know how fond Woo was of putting a heroic duo together.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing, and I wish you the best of luck
TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »

It's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the split fire mechanic is falling a bit short, possibly because you show gameplay of using the mechanic to hit someone at the side, when you could easily turn and focus both guns on them. It makes it look less like a smooth spreading shot like in the other scenes, and more like

:p

It's not that it's all bad, but it shows that it has very specific circumstances for its use.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic