Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:01:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: The Hong Kong Massacre [Top Down Shooter]  (Read 113202 times)
vreski
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »

It's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the split fire mechanic is falling a bit short, possibly because you show gameplay of using the mechanic to hit someone at the side, when you could easily turn and focus both guns on them. It makes it look less like a smooth spreading shot like in the other scenes, and more like

:p

It's not that it's all bad, but it shows that it has very specific circumstances for its use.

Yes I agree, hopefully I will be able to work out some better way of handling the duals now that I use a proper animation system in Unity, which should opens up for individual controls of the arms and such. 

TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

You can do it! It's already looking pretty damn fun.

david_is_neato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »

It's looking good, but I can't help but feel that the split fire mechanic is falling a bit short, possibly because you show gameplay of using the mechanic to hit someone at the side, when you could easily turn and focus both guns on them. It makes it look less like a smooth spreading shot like in the other scenes, and more like

It's not that it's all bad, but it shows that it has very specific circumstances for its use.

Yes I agree, hopefully I will be able to work out some better way of handling the duals now that I use a proper animation system in Unity, which should opens up for individual controls of the arms and such. 

I was thinking about the duals and the way the game seems to play based on what I've seen. When you're turning in the gifs and video it seems pretty sweeping (flowing, momentum..) as opposed to "always be directly facing mouse pointer". If that's the case, the spread eagle mechanic becomes very handy (heh??)... you want to be flowing through an area with as little wasted movement as possible, using spreads when turning directly to face someone isn't part of your flow.

Writing that made me realize how cool individual arm control (1 forward, 1 to the side etc.) would be.
Mirka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

The game is looking very good from the trailer. I like the art and gore approach and the music really fits. Really fits, and that's important.
I'm also a fan of the setting.

Really looking forward to it, Vreski! Keep up the good work!
Nagisawa
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

Would like to point out that firing tonnes of bullets, and having them destroy the scenery and maybe hit a few guys in slow motion is very, very, very John Woo.

And yes, I did just register to say that.  But I also want to say that I am looking forward to this game.  Really want it.  Looks really good as it is now.  Can't wait to see how you improve it.
TWOxACROSS
Level 0

Hot-blooded God of Guns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »

Would like to point out that firing tonnes of bullets, and having them destroy the scenery and maybe hit a few guys in slow motion is very, very, very John Woo.

And yes, I did just register to say that.  But I also want to say that I am looking forward to this game.  Really want it.  Looks really good as it is now.  Can't wait to see how you improve it.

Well sure, the chaotic destruction is very crazy and fun, but it doesn't change the fact that waving a gun around and shooting where no enemies are is still redundant, and it looks awkward to do a split fire and start plugging a wall when simply turning and focusing fire would work better - at least from a gameplay perspective. I'm just saying it looked silly when he did it next to a wall, just to hit one guy. Environmental chaos in Woo's flicks really only happened around someone who was getting shot at.

It brings up an interesting contrast though, of what is pertinent to use when, since splitting fire reduces the firepower being aimed in one direction, but allows you to hit multiple targets.

tapmybuttons
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »

Great concept. Are you using Unity Pro?
Nilanjan
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »

This is just great. Smiley
Dean
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »

Any updates?
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

Man, this thing looks great!

Was a big fan of John Woo, Tsui Hark et al on my way into the games industry (started out working on The Opera and Action Unreal) - this is really bringing me back.

If you have any form of a level editor or have any means to contribute, let us know :D

GameLoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »

Really looking forward to the next update. Since you are porting it to Unity it would be cool to consider a PSVita port..I am saying this without any selfish reasons of course  Wink

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:56 AM »

I browsed the dev's Twitter, he posted this mid July
First look at the new environment from #thehongkongmassacre
More stuff and updates coming soon.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 11:03:43 AM »

This looks pretty cool.  Reminds me of Hotline Miami, which I liked.  Following

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

Evil Loving the blood, looks really great, will keep an eye on this one for sure.

_metamythical
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »

This looks fantastic!

DevWithoutACrew
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »

Can't wait for this game since i saw the trailer on youtube, months ago.
John Woo was one of my biggest inspiration!

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »

Holy crap this looks like fun! The blood splat effect is awesome and the weapons look so satisfying to use.

Deffstarr
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »

Really hyped for this game.

Is it still in development?
PadawanProgrammer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »

Why haven't there been any more updates? Is this still being dev'd?
by MSLF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:25 AM »

Looks exactly like what I'm looking for right now... come on guys is this still working?
Release what you have so far to playtest, to keep us drooling...

"Either you have an action method or you're irrelevant."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic