Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:07:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTimespinner: 2D Metroidvania with time travel
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Timespinner: 2D Metroidvania with time travel  (Read 12674 times)
Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »

Hello everyone! Here's the game that I've been working on for the past several years. It's called Timespinner and it's a pixelly Metroidvania, with art styles similar to late SNES and early PSX sprite-based titles.

The story is about Lunais, an orphaned girl who obtains the Timespinner, a relic which allows the user to control the flow of time. Using her new-found abilities, she seeks revenge on her family's killers: an evil empire ruled by a ruthless man. With the capability to travel through time, a single girl will decimate any entire empire from the past to the present.

The player abilities are tied to the Timespinner and Lunais' innate Aura powers. Her Aura allows her to manifest weapons (such as orbs or swords) and the Timespinner allows her to slow, stop, and travel through time. While other platformers, such as Castlevania or Megaman, use small amounts of time manipulation, this game will rely heavily on it for core mechanics and boss fights. For example, while time is stopped, enemies become solid platforms and world objects behave differently.

I'm also making a level/map editor that hosts a version of the game in it.

I'm currently working on the game full time. It is being developed in XNA/Monogame for PC/Mac/Steam and I plan to release a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of months.

I'm always a fan of feedback and constructive criticism- so let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:31:22 PM by Lunais » Logged

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

hooray!!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »

hi

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »

Hello to you too Smiley

Today's progress update:
The past two days have been spent making a mini-map system from scratch. I decided that I wanted the room blocks in the map to be auto-generated based on what was inside the room. Then, I'd use an editor to re-arrange the rooms so that the game knows which one to move the player to when they go through a door.

Yesterday, I made the minimap class and started on the editor. Today was all editor!

Here's what I've gotten so far:

Here I'm rearranging all of the old areas so that their room-entrances match up. Next, I'll need to attach all of the game areas together :D

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »

I've been doing some work on the charging animation (specifically the floor gust-effect, seen here)

I'm not entirely happy with the whole ensemble, though. Anyone have any suggestions on improvement?

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »

I don't know why reminds me so much of the action parts of Act Raiser. I love it.

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »

Nice project! Would there be a secret castle?

I think the character is too static during charge, the hair flicking is fine but you could have her flexing knees, semi-closing eyes to concentrate or wavering slightly through the energy build-up... and you could add different lighting/shadows on her for each effect (like the spinning globes), but that would add a lot of work.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

Oh the lighting is a good idea. I could also definitely add more movement to the clothing. I'll try that, thanks Smiley

And, in a way, yes there will be a secret 'castle'. :D

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »

this looks lovely and using time manipulation as a central gameplay mechanic is almost always awesome

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »

Just uploaded a

with original music composed by Jeff Ball! :D

Yaaaay.

The_Otherworld_Agency
Level 0

Making awesome audio for awesome games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:25 PM »

Just uploaded a

with original music composed by Jeff Ball! :D

Yaaaay.

This is awesome!

~The Otherworld Agency~
www.theotherworldagency.com
A global team of 30+ composers and sound designers
Creds: Eitr, Crossy Road, Tiny Wizard, PAC-MAN 256, Hacknet
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:36:01 AM »

So cool! This totally looks like an Amiga game.
I really hate the word, but "instabuy" is completely apt here.

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »

Back from GDC! It was quite a week- got to meet lots of really cool people, including Timespinner's composer :D

Game update:
I decided that the previous player HUD, a 1x zoom high-res clock bar, was too detailed and didn't fit with the rest of the gameplay screen (which is low-res and at 3x zoom). So, here is the new low-res player HUD, complete with an Hourglass instead of a Grandfather-Clock for Time indication.

While I loved the old high-res clock, it simply looked awful when downsized.

What do you guys think? Is the hourglass easy enough to read from a glance?

paulisere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

Just watched the video and this looks great!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

Looks great! Smiley

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Thanks, guys :D

This past week I've been working on the boss for the first area of the game, Lake Desolation: A broken Feline-Robo-Sentinel.

Its sole purpose is to hunt down trespassers in the area's forbidden zone. Since it doesn't have a lower body, it rests all of its weight on its ribs and drags itself across the ground with its front paws.

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »

Whoa, long time since my last update. Here's what I've been working on lately:

The Merchant Crow! You'll be finding this guy in a sort of 'hub' area for the game. He'll sell you upgrades to weapons, new abilities, and other items in exchange for crystals found on enemies and in chests.

Lots of new stuff going on in the gif:
  • Character sprite for the Merchant Crow
  • Tileset for the new area
  • Dialogue Box skin + code
  • Cutscene scripting (character animations + control + dialogue boxes stringed together)

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »

oh wow. Just seeing these screenshots brings memories of castlevania and SNES Capcom games rushing back into my head. Following this for sure, this is right up my alley.

Lunais
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 02:16:11 PM »

oh wow. Just seeing these screenshots brings memories of castlevania and SNES Capcom games rushing back into my head. Following this for sure, this is right up my alley.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it :D That's definitely the feeling I'm going for in the game- I'm taking sprite style inspirations from a lot of different sources, such as Final Fantasy Tactics, 2D Castlevanias, Megaman X, and UN Squadron.

Someone on tumblr asked that I show how I do my sprite art. So, here's a time-lapse of the Time Gate background sprite.

The Time Gates behave similarly to the area warps in the Metroidvania Castlevania games. They also allow you to travel between time eras (ie: past/future), when you have the item to do so.

Here's what the final product looks like in game:

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »

Yo, this is looking cool! I like the character design, and the pixel art is pretty sick, too. Keep it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic