Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:50:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Meteor Grid - retro hardcore arcade on Steam Greenlight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Meteor Grid - retro hardcore arcade on Steam Greenlight  (Read 6244 times)
Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »

Super Meteor Grid

Short description
Challenging fast-paced arcade game inspired by Geometry Wars and Super Hexagon.

Platform: PC (Q4 2014), Mobile (Q1 2015)

Key features
  • Challenging and fast-paced gameplay.
  • Minimalistic vector-style visuals.
  • Random events and mini-bosses.
  • Stunning music by Zircon.
  • Distinct spirit of retro hardcore games.

Full description
Super Meteor Grid is a fast-paced retro arcade style game that combines challenge for reflexes and getaway for mind. Abstract graphics, intuitive controls, simple gameplay.

A circle in the middle of the screen is a SMG-1 platform with a protective field divided into colored segments. The player is to rotate the circle and catch flying meteors with matching segments. Making meteors collide with wrong segments shortens the size of the protective field until it is fully destroyed. The objective is to score as many points as possible per one game session.
The number of scored points depends on the hit accuracy of meteor towards the center of the segment. The more meteors are caught in a row, the more points the player gets for each of them.

Each session gives the player a new experience, thanks to the variety of combinations, randomness of color scheme and special events.

Nearest roadmap
General
  • Different shapes for dirrerent meteor colors
  • Dynamic change of the number of parts and colors in the platform (now only 4)
  • Pulling meteorites
    Colors that are in front of the same platform part.
  • Bonuses
    From time to time the meteors fly to the player with the "tail" in the form of a meteor with a some bonus. This bonus meteor stops at a certain distance from the player. In order to receive this bonus the player must pull it to the platform.

Special events
  • Tail of a comet
    Comet flies past SMG-1 and he gets to it's tail.
    Meteorites in the tail quickly move in the same direction and the player task is to collect as much as possible.
  • Meteor belt
    Platform falls into the meteor belt. A large number of meteorites flying in the same direction as in the tail of the comet, but slowly.
  • Virus attack
    SMG-1 is subjected to a virus attack. Some of it's part become inactive.
    The player's task becomes somewhat more complicated.
  • Satellite
    Neutral meteorite flies past SMG-1. Once enters into the platform gravity it swirls around it and begins to move in an orbit. After a while SMG-1 will push the satellite out of orbit. But until that time, the player must avoid colliding the satellite with other meteorites.
  • Other events and mini-bosses
    In the process

General
  • Achievements
    Awarded for performing various complex tasks.
  • Highscores. Ya, good challenge should be measured.

Looking forward to your comments, suggestions and questions.
Thanks for your time!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:02:27 AM by Dyn » Logged

DiscoFish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »

Nice visual style!

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »

Nice visual style!
Thanks! Smiley

Added roadmap to the main topic.

Playing with pulling static objects to SMG-1.

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »

DevLog Update

Added:
  • Satellite event
  • Key features description

Pre-alpha gameplay video soon.

Satellite preview! Blink

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:36:04 AM »

Some delay with the gameplay trailer.
Therefore here is an update to the main post and a new screenshot.

Btw, does anyone here interested to play the alpha build?
Well it's certainly better than the video! Grin

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:03:58 AM »

Moved from SEA to EU last week. So no updates yet.
But work didn’t stop. Even in airplane.

Hope to publish a playable alpha this week.

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:31 AM »

Super Meteor Grid first playable is here! Hand Any Key
Stop wasting my time! Let me play it!

Took much more time than I expected. Mostly to make control work good.
So playing with mouse, keyboard or even gamepad is very comfortable right now.

Any suggestions/feedback would be highly appreciated!

gonzeek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »

Woo-ha! Screamy Graphics looks juicy and pretty neat! That glowish/retro-like style is awesome! Waaagh! Would love to play the mobile version!

p.s. correct me if I'm wrong: is that red number above is showing the time before an enemy appears? If so, wouldn't it be better to show scaled triangle instead (it's hard to read the numbers while paying attention to the center of the screen)?

Great job! Good luck with finishing the game!
Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »

Woo-ha! Screamy Graphics looks juicy and pretty neat! That glowish/retro-like style is awesome! Waaagh! Would love to play the mobile version!

p.s. correct me if I'm wrong: is that red number above is showing the time before an enemy appears? If so, wouldn't it be better to show scaled triangle instead (it's hard to read the numbers while paying attention to the center of the screen)?

Great job! Good luck with finishing the game!

Ha-ha. Thanks, hope to finish it soon.
Yes, you're right. Numbers aren't very clear right now. I think I'll add some sort of alert triangles.

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

Last weekend I showed the game on Starcon – festival for fans of fantasy and innovations.
This was the first public demonstration of Super Meteor Grid to the wider audience and it was very exciting. Also wanted to get a lot of feedback!

And keep in mind that Super Meteor Grid – hardcore and minimalistic game with simple controls. The game that focuses on clear, addictive, but challenging gameplay. Precisely for these reasons, in most cases I just gave the gamepad to a new player with a minimal control tips. Thereafter the player was turned out to the game and I followed with interest the reaction.

I received a huge amount of feedback and a lot of positive emotions.
There were people who asked why it’s not on Greenlight yet.  Smiley

What I learned:
  • Starcon audience not gamers mostly. Those from audience who want to play seriously go into the gamezone with Xbox and Battlefield. Just the fact.
    So it is desirable to lure with something simple and bright. That captures their attention now.
    Immediately and without explanation.
  • On the first day we are constantly playing a game and this lure passing by. Once someone has stayed longer than a five seconds – we gave him the joystick. A quick dip into the game worked perfectly.
  • Except for one thing – it’s really tiring to play continuously for two days. So in the night from Saturday to Sunday, I was falling asleep (night before slept only 4 hours) but was able to add the demo mode to the game. It unloaded my second day so I was able to give more attention to passing by visitor. Also demo mode showed an interesting gameplay moments, which no one reached. I think that the demo mode is sometimes even better than a trailer.
  • Functional feedback: make sticks softer, add other keys on the joystick (for example, triggers to rotate)
    Lots of people have been asking about using their own track so the gameplay depended on the music. Need to think and consider. Probably add a special music mode.

Even a Jedi is playing Super Meteor Grid on Starcon. No force, only reflexes!  Corny Laugh

Coauctor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »

Cool! Jedi knows the thing.
But he could be cheating because of knowing The Path of The Force.  Ninja

Dyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »

We just released the game on Steam Greenlight.

Vote yes for Super Meteor Grid! Thanks in advance.
Awesome gameplay trailer as a bonus. Smiley

Cool! Jedi knows the thing.
But he could be cheating because of knowing The Path of The Force.  Ninja
Hope this will help.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic