Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:01:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe Boarding School - A Sound & Music devlog - Quirky Dungeon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Boarding School - A Sound & Music devlog - Quirky Dungeon  (Read 960 times)
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »

Howdy folks!

As part of my devlog for my new mystery adventure game The Boarding School, I'll be talking in detail how I go about writing the soundtrack.

I'll be uploading individual tracks and discussing composition and production techniques used in the track to meet the needs of their scenes/levels.

I will occasionally post highlights on this topic but I'll leave most of the updates to the official devlog.

Without going into too much detail just yet, here's the first two very contrasting tracks I've uploaded followed by a short summary from the devlog.

The Room of Dead Bodies

As a composer this game will double as a kind of game soundtrack showcase and hopefully help me become more established in the video game music industry. The music will also feature heavily in future development logs. I'll be temporarily uploading tracks and explaining the creation process and how they relate to sections of the game.

Unlike most RPGs, the setting for The Boarding School is not an epic fantasy land that spans an entire world. So I'm obviously not treating the music as if it was. The music should perfectly represent the game itself in every way. On the outside we're in a small secluded school but underneath it has a dark secret and is full of mystery. Therefore the music will be calm and minimalistic in essence, with mysterious and dark undertones.

The primary instrument I'm using is a Moog Little Phatty monophonic analog synthesiser. As usual, I'll be steering well clear of chiptune music. I aim to create a soundtrack that is modern and unique while also respecting what the great composers of mystery and adventure films (eg Joe Hisaishi, Bernard Hermann) have already done.

Hopefully you can learn something from me and I'll learn from people's comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Leo J
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:52:51 PM by Leo J » Logged

YogX
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »

That's a great idea.
Haven't seen a musical devlog so far.

I'm subscribing for this one Smiley

POST ADDITION:
Just listened to both of the tracks.
I really like the opening theme. It has it's own character and feeling.
The Room of Dead Bodies is also really good.
Would love to see the actual scene in the game Wink.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:53:02 AM by godmoney » Logged

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

Hey, thanks heaps!
Looking forward to posting a lot more even if it's just for my own enjoyment.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

So I thought I'd post one of my recent additions to the soundtrack and briefly comment on how it works and contrasts with different elements of the game.

Indoors vs outdoors

I want the outdoors and indoors music to contrast. Being a school, the indoors music needs to represent simplicity within a confined space. Outdoors is, at the moment, divided into two categories, within school grounds and beyond school grounds. Both of which should promise a sense of unattainable freedom, one more so than the other.

Indoors: Quiet Class Rooms

So far I've limited indoors music to only a few tracks/layers, in some cases as few as two. If you listen to the example below, you'll notice it's very minimalistic. I've tried to create a sense of confined subtle suspense (the longing and excitement to break free from a dull environment and discover more). It's like a ticking clock in a classroom that let's you know you know where you are yet encourages you to escape.
It's a common theme I'm trying to create throughout the game: From the outside the school seems safe, predictable and rigid but underneath there is a terrible secret and mystery.

Outdoors: The Cove of Sand & Snow

Depending on your choices in the first chapter of the game, your character Max may make an escape down an icy underground spring. When he awakes, he's been washed up on the eastern shore of the island, a small cove to be exact. It's snowing and Max is soaking wet. His HP slowly decreases until you find warm shelter.

Unlike the indoors music which should create a sense of being confined, the outdoors music remains minimalistic to represent of the confined location of the island, yet it teases you with an unattainable freedom (especially if you're beyond the school grounds). Imagine looking out across the ocean, knowing the possibilities yet you're without a boat.

For the outdoors music there's generally a few more layers. You still have the rigid base ticking away to create the subtle sense of confined suspense but over the top is more free flowing sounds which should imply a much more open space.

For both tracks, the only instrument I've used is the monophonic Moog Little Phatty synth. As mentioned in my first post, it's the primary instrument I'm using for the whole soundtrack.

Sounds

You'll also hear my sea shore field recording. Although the surf was very small when I recorded it, you'd be surprised how aggressive small waves can sound when they're breaking closer to the shore and sometimes on the sand. I removed a lot of low-mid frequencies to reduce the harshness and then just knocked off the very highest frequencies to soften it up and allow it to blend better with the music and other sounds rather than forcing itself to the front of "the mix".

You'll find the discussed tracks in the link below. Both are just drafts.
Thanks for reading and enjoy!

YesIndieDee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:41 AM »

Really like your idea of a music dev log, it's really great to include us into the music creation process (something that can get overlooked in development blogs!). Really liked the intro track (couldn't access the second one for some reason), thought it was intriguing and eerie- I'm curious about the game!

Twitter kinda person? @YesIndieDee for pun-filled adventures and Cavian updates!
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, the second track is no longer available. As I put new tracks up, I take others down. I might change that if people keeping missing the earlier ones.

Your best bet is to just view the whole "album", that way you'll see everything available.

http://leoj.bandcamp.com/album/the-boarding-school-ost

Drakken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:06 AM »

Liking what I'm hearing so far, both about the game and the music. Will be following this project for sure! Smiley

Drakken's Soundcloud - Check out my original game music and other tunes!
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »

Thanks Drakken. Had a quick skim through your material and it also sounds nice!

Here's another musical demo which is more of a traditional RPG style quirky dungeon track.
Used for comical dungeon scenes. Again to fit with the themes of the game and specific scenes and locations it will be used in, I've only used the Moog Little Phatty analog synthesizer and I've taken a fairly minimalistic approach to the structure and overall sound of the piece.

The dungeon is one of the areas of the boarding school that is hidden from and unknown to the students. It's where a lot of the more sinister events take place and where a lot of the terrible secrets can be uncovered.

There are many ways to get to the dungeon. Finding certain clues will lead you to its main hidden entrance, discover one of the many secret entrances or you can cause enough trouble and be locked up! Each way will reveal certain mysteries and will require different tactics to either escape or find what you're looking for.

http://leoj.bandcamp.com/album/the-boarding-school-ost

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic