Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:49:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTIGSource Devlog Magazine Rebooted
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Devlog Magazine Rebooted  (Read 20475 times)
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »

Bringing your games to the attention of a broader audience
Going live on Fridays @ TIGSource | Venus Patrol | tumblr

This is the official thread for the new, revamped TIGSource Devlog Magazine. If you want to look back in the magazine's history, the old one is located here

Issue #21 (11 April 2014)

You can also find this week's issue on tumblr, Venus Patrol, Imgur and reddit. As usual, you can follow @Bandreus to get insta-notified when a new issue is released, or you can activate notifications for this thread.

All 16 games featured in this issue, along with useful links!
21 Bytes
Betelgeuse
Burrito Galaxy Z 64
Chasm
Delver's Drop
Fire with Fire
Kingdoms Rise
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Oblitus
Rain World
Relativity
Rex Rocket
Stellar Arms
The Masterplan
WizardWizard
Wrack

About Us

The TIGSource Devlog Magazine is maintained by yours, Bandreus (editor) and designer extraordinaire Dom2D (design).

The original Devlog Magazine was created by @Dom2D, but he eventually run short on spare time and had to drop it. After many sad, sad months without somebody pointing me at the most amazing devlogs on these boards I finally realized: I HAVE SPARE TIME. And so here I am, diving deep into countless threads every week to bring you awesome.

Dom maintains several gaming related blogs on tumblr, including GameSquares. Check it out, it rocks Wink

Please help us reach a broader audience!

This magazine is an effort to give indie games proper exposure, and lots of work goes into it weekly. While indie games as a whole gained substantial traction in the last few years, lots more needs to be done still! A few indie developers and studios (like Edmund McMillen, Jonathan Blow, Capy, Vlambeer, our own Derek Yui, etc etc) raised to the ranks of indie superstars, but for every indie game hitting jackpot there are tens equally deserving projects which still struggle getting enough (if any) attention.

I beg you to spread the word about those games by sharing the magazine online and among your friends. Luckily enough, reaching hundreds of people is as easy as clicking a few buttons in this age of ubiquitous digital access.

Please:
  • Tweet @Bandreus and/or @VenusPatrol and retweet our shout outs when a new Issue is released.
  • Follow us on tumblr and reblog our Issues.
  • Upvote/comment on links we post on reddit (you'll find the actual link along the issues themselves).
  • Post about the magazine in other forums and boards you lurk (but obviously don't break any rules or get yourself banned for spamming xD).
  • Just spread the word in on any online community you normally spend time on and among your friends, even the offline ones!

How do I get my devlog on the magazine?

Send your checks to: NO I'M KIDDING  Tongue

You obviously need to maintain an active thread on these boards. Other than that, just do your best, put the most love and passion into your project you're capable of! I don't have a specific set of rules for picking devlogs to be featured, but simply try and showcase the more deserving projects.

That being said, I only have enough time and space for picking and featuring 15/20ish games per week, while hundreds of devlogs are actively maintained, and tens of more are created every week. It's only natural I can't give enough visibility to each and everyone of your awesome projects (I'd really like to!).

Help us make a better job

Lastly, although this is in no way going to make your chances at a pick any higher, please follow a few guidelines in the way you organize your devlog. As an added advantage, adhering to the following rules of thumb will make your threads much more effective, gaining you a larger following for your projects. Last but not least, the Press does read your devlogs guys, trust me. A well maintained thread might very well help you get some very needed media coverage. Better put a bit of love into them.

Good formatting: People love reading about a good project. Even more, people love reading nicely formatted and thought out text. You don't need to train your writing/editing skills up to pro levels. Just make sure what you write actually makes sense (ie re-read before posting) and well formatted.

Keep the first post up to date: Especially important for 10+ pages threadsThe first post doesn't need to grow into a huge wall of text as development goes on, but simply sum up it briefly, including every important tidbit and up-to-date content. Which includes...

Relevant Links: People (remember, this might be press on top of me and fans) might want to find out more about you and your game. Make absolutely sure include a link to every online resource/network you're a part of into the first post. This includes: official/personal website, twitter, youtube/vimeo, blog/tumblr, greenlight, kickstarter, facebook, linked-in, indiedb, soundcloud, whatever online resource which might apply.

Screenshots (and pictures) are paramount: Take lots of screenshots (I mean A TON of them), then spend a few minutes manually picking the only best ones. Posting a random screencap of your latest development achievement is fine of course, but put the effort into producing some high quality screens suitable for being used by the Press.

Avoid lossy compression formats if at all possible: I suggest you use PNG for all of your still screenshots. If you really want to use JPEG, at least set the encoding to high or maximum quality. GIF acceptable for showing small segments of gameplay but pay attention to the ugly compression artifacts.

For pixel art games: avoid JPEG (and other lossy standards) at all costs! Capture and save screenshots at native resolution (if your game runs at 640x480, that's what your pic's dimensions should look like). Upscaling can be okay (needed if you work at very low res), but be absolutely sure you're using nearest-neighbor interpolation.

Gifs are great, but... : they are a pain in the ass when the person willing to showcase your game (again, this might be the Press) is only allowed to use static media. Every time you capture an awesome Gif, go back and also take some quality screenshots. Even assuming someone is willing to go the distance and extract a frame out of your GIFS (I do that when the devlog is short on still shots), what he usually ends up with is a picture in limited resolution, distorted colors and (hopefully!) some minor artifact. Not ideal.

And last but not least

Pick a good media hosting provider: Some hosting services will delete your pictures without notice (especially true if they also offer pay-for premium services). That might happen after a set amount of time, when a certain bandwidth-threshold is reached, etc. That's unacceptable. Find yourself another host, or consider subscribing to a premium account.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:38:53 PM by Bandreus » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »

Sweet! Can't believe it's already Friday.

I've been following a few of the games listed here, but still plenty I'm not familiar with. Looking forward to reading about them.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »

By the way, would it be possible to move this post to the announcement section? I feel like that way, it'd be a lot easier for newcomers to find out about it.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

Really glad to see this back up and running. Hoping to see more great indie games on the issues.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »

Looking good, I love finding the occasional gem Ive missed from mags like this.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »

MAXIMUM COOL  Cool

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »

Good stuff!  Beer! followin'!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »

Cool, thanks for picking this up, Bandreus

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »

Yeah, thank you for rebooting this! So many devlogs I missed!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »

Fantastic. Considering how much I check the threads here, even I missed Icarus and Crystal Gun Girl. Keep up the great work, both Bandreus and the featured devs

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 03:56:31 PM »

Honored to be on there, thanks.

Uykered
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »

Cool, I wish the forum software would show the games like this.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »

glad to see this back.

play hydlide 2
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »

Thanks guys for all the support!  Tears of Joy You really do give me strength and make me want to work harder on this.

As usual, all kinds of feedback about both the Magazine itself and this thread is more than appreciated.

Cool, I wish the forum software would show the games like this.

me too!

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »

I was so terribly sad to see this go, so you picking this up is a life saver! (actually more like a time saver.) I can't say how happy I am! Hopefully one day I'll get a game featured in this!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:34 AM »

Good work, man.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »

Looks brilliant, wish you guys luck with this.

Life sucks and then you die.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »

Sweet! Cool to see this continuing.

Randomasta
Level 1

wait, what?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »

Glad to see the magazine back! This should be stickied.
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »

Whoah! Thanks for putting Tiny Tires in the new issue. :D So glad DevLog Magazine is back!  Gentleman

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic