Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:35:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTIGSource Devlog Magazine Rebooted
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Devlog Magazine Rebooted  (Read 20421 times)
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

/subscribin to the new thread :D

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »

Thanks all! I agree this new thread should be sticky'd, hopefully an admin will notice. Edit: the thread was sticky'd while I was typing Ninja

I spent the vast majority of the weekend building upon the set of scripts I'm using to make putting an issue together much more of a swifter process. Actually, simply calling those a "set of scripts" might be reductive at this point

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 04:30:58 AM »

Thanks again for putting Narcissus in the magazine mate, really appreciate it!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 03:14:44 AM »

Nice to see this has been taken up again. Nice work Bandreus Smiley

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:39 AM »

Hehe noticed you promoting this on the RPS site.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 04:24:32 AM »

Again, thanks everyone for the support <3

Hehe noticed you promoting this on the RPS site.

Yeah  Smiley Trying to get as large of an audience as possible for your awesome projects guys. Hopefully this is just the beginning  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:44:10 PM by Bandreus » Logged

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »

Just a quick update: the work for today's issue has been behind schedule because madness  Screamy  but it's coming along nonetheless, stay tuned!

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 11:24:22 PM »

I missed the Friday release  Screamy #achievement unlocked

Sorry! The good news is I actually finalized the new Issue a bunch of hours ago. Will post it here as soon as it goes live on VP, as usual, though I don't know when exactly that will be. I guess later today when it's Saturday morning in the US?

Vanhail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »

What do people think about making this a monthly feature? Seems it would be easier to garner support and exposure if it was more of rare bird. Not to fly in the face of tradition, just figure it might be a more sustainable option.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »

For the sake of being crystal clear, I'd just like to point out issue #17 has been ready and finalized since friday in the evening.

Long story short: Brandon (the founder of VP) was flying to SF for GDC on Saturday, so the release got pushed further. In the end he thinks releasing the new issue on Monday, when most people would be back home/work after the weekend and able to actually read it, would be best.

Since VP has been contributing lots in giving exposure to both Indie Game Developers the Magazine itself, I've refrained from posting the new issue here in advance of VP.

What do people think about making this a monthly feature? Seems it would be easier to garner support and exposure if it was more of rare bird. Not to fly in the face of tradition, just figure it might be a more sustainable option.

I'm not sure man, I thought (and am still thinking) about the release schedule a lot myself. In the end (though I don't pretend I have all the "right" answers) I just settled on "the more, often the better".

I believe the real point about the TIGSource Devlog Magazine is getting the attention of as many people as possible on the awesome projects on these boards. This is aside from schedule considerations. For instance, I'm trying to bring more exposure in many ways (some of which forum users might not be fully aware of). But that's an unrelated subject I guess.

You see, even if I made a new issue per month, I still couldn't feature 4 times as many games in a single issue vs what I do with a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. That would still be 15-20ish projects, 25 tops as a reasonable estimate.

With a major difference. If you pick the 25 most interesting/promising devlogs of the last month, smaller and weirder projects have much of an higher chance of being dropped in favor of featuring the more shining stuff. I.e. more issues equals more projects being shown off, given the same amount of time.

And this brings us to the most important point: total amount of readers. A more frequent serrated schedule makes for more overall readers. This is HUGE, in my humble opinion.

While one could argue a more polished monthly feature (a rarer bird, so to speak) would be more attractive, in the end I believe getting an higher number of eyes on an higher number of projects is still preferable.

Sorry for the long-assed post. TL;DR; When I rebooted the Magazine I settled on trying and releasing a new issue as often as I could, hopefully once per week, less often if external factors come in the way.

But definitely, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion, so let us know what your own take!

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »

Attention spans are pretty short: more frequent (and possibly slightly smaller) updates is probably ideal for exposing smaller projects with weaker marketing, which I think is one of the main focuses of this project.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:26 AM »

Okay, this thing has been sitting in my hard drive long enough. Given it's GDC week and all the madness involved, I guess @Brandonnn will be (comprehensively) too busy for taking care of Venus Patrol in the next few days. There's no point in waiting much longer, worst case scenario both issues 17 and 18 will get to VP as a double release.

Without further ado, here's TIGSource Devlog Magazine #17 (also sorry for making you wait  Embarrassed this long)

as usual, you can follow @Bandreus to get insta-notified when a new issue is released, or you can activate notifications for this thread. You can also find this week's issue on tumblr (please follow and reblog!), reddit and Imgur

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:54:33 AM by Bandreus » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »

Sweet, thanks for the feature  Gentleman

matriax
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 03:37:13 AM »

LOL! Great! thanks for the feature :D , Reblogged on tumblr! Wink
Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:29 AM »

This is too awesome.  Crazy
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »

Thanks, Bandreus. Appreciate the mention!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »

that's a very unexpected positive surprise, thanks a lot, Bandreus for the mention! Smiley  Toast Right

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »

Awesome work bandreus, reblogged, thanks for featuring our game!
Kikekun
Level 0

Super Awesome Hyper Dimensional Mega Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »

Thanks a lot for considering and mentioning our game! Awesome job, by the way!

Twitter: @SuperMegaTeam
reverso13
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

Thank you for the mention  Kiss

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic