Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:59:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAegis: 16-bit retro adventure with TD inspired combat
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aegis: 16-bit retro adventure with TD inspired combat  (Read 3351 times)
Studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »

Hey everybody. We're Studio GUTS and we're making a game called Aegis. Super excited to start showing off the game and getting some feedback!

Aegis

[/b]

-Website-Facebook - Twitter

Aegis is a 2D Adventure Platformer with Tower Defense inspired combat. We're also enamored with the SNES-era and are spending a lot of time making the sure the art work really recalls the golden era of 16-bit gaming.

HUMANITY HAS BEEN BROUGHT BACK INTO THE DARK AGES BUT REMNANTS OF A ONCE HIGHLY ADVANCED CIVILIZATION STILL EXIST.  In this world where control over lost technologies equals power, two explorers from a small village have just discovered Aegis, the legendary weapon said to have brought on the calamity.  Although its true purpose remains mysterious, one thing is certain - powerful people will stop at nothing to control it.

The game follows the adventures of Bart, a tinkerer with extensive knowledge of machines and the old world, and Clu, his granddaughter and a total tomboy. They're searching for Aegis, a legendary technology with the power to save their village.

We're currently in the middle of transitioning from 2DToolkit to Unity's native 2D toolset as well as breaking out the designs for the rest of the game. While we're at work on the nerdy stuff, check out some screenshots from our alpha demo! I wanted to focus on some of the game's really unique mechanics, so I popped out some animated gifs from the current build.

Screenshots

This is one of my favorites, demonstrating the flexibility of the character swapping mechanic. The player sees Bart is in trouble- the slime monster is gobbling his turrets- and is able to swap back to Clu in order to come assist Bart.

Every playable character in the Aegis universe has a unique set of abilities. Bart's is the ability to build different kinds of blocks to defeat enemies, navigate the environment and solve puzzles. Here, he builds an auto turret to take out the bugs blocking his path

Thanks for reading! & Where's my demo?!

We do have a demo available- Its not publicly available because we're hoping to have the 4.3 demo ready in the next 2-3 weeks and we think it better reflects the product we'd like everyone to see. But if you'd like a sneak peek, send us a message and we'll send the demo along!

We'll be here every week with new content and updates. If you want to keep up with development, head over to http://www.aegisthegame.com and sign up for our newsletter. We're building towards our Kickstarter in July and every fan counts!

UPDATE: New Environmental Concepts

Work on a new level begins. Enter Snowfly Peak:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:36:48 AM by Studioguts » Logged

Aegis The Game - A 2D Adventure Platformer with Tower Defense combat.
Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:29 AM »

Looks great already!
A demo sounds great, I'll be happy to try it out when you feel it's time to show the game Wink
I'll be checking out your progress, keep it up!

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »

Looks awesome, really like the art style and the tactical gameplay sounds like it has a lot of promise. Added your game to the NeoGAF Kickstarter thread, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Aegis

Will there pre-alpha purchases/preordering before the Kickstarter launches? Anyway, can't wait to try the demo

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

I am a big fan of both platformers and TD games, and this one looks fantastic!
Can I get my hands on a mac demo, pretty pleeeeease?
What about a web build?

matriax
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »

The game looks cool! Will be great see some animated gifs with the real resolution of the game  Wink
Studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Looks awesome, really like the art style and the tactical gameplay sounds like it has a lot of promise. Added your game to the NeoGAF Kickstarter thread, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Aegis

Will there pre-alpha purchases/preordering before the Kickstarter launches? Anyway, can't wait to try the demo

Hey Christian,

We likely won't do a pre-alpha pre-purchase because our ability to really finish the game is reliant on the Kickstarter's success. Which is not to say that we won't finish it if we don't get funded, but Kickstarter is Plan A.

Studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:59:53 AM »

Back with a few new goodies. Unfortunately, we're not doing a whole lot of development at the moment- We're almost done with the 4.3 transition, plus we had GDC headaches and a time consuming opportunity that I hope we can talk about soon! If you'd like to play the game at GDC, hop on our mailing list and we'll make sure to find you!

What's been eating up a lot of our time is getting promo stuff done. To that end, we have a few new environmental concepts. One of the cool things about Aegis is that Bryce handpaints a lot of the platforms so that they're not just composed of stock tiles

Also, another action shot:

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »

Ooow very nice pixel art here, love the universe and the color palette of this game.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:59:24 AM »

Kiss
A couple of years ago I started to make a game similar to this in Gamemaker 8.1 and then Gamemaker Studio screwed it all up, so I stopped. This game looks a hell of a lot better visually, and how you've implemented the weapons and even the menu is very interesting to me, especially when I compare it to my own meagre attempts.

I'll be following this games development. Can't wait to play it.
Studioguts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »

Sorry about the lack of action on our end. We have a couple of major projects on our plate and as a 3 man team, all of working on our MFAs and getting ready to graduate, our schedule is pretty packed. Good news: In just 3 weeks, we'll be full-time on the game!

In the meanwhile, we had a great showing at a local convention. It was amazing to see people get their hands on the game and say "This reminds me of <direct influence on the game>". It seems like it really communicates with people!

Anyway a new environmental test art piece (You'll probably see it in the Kickstarter trailer!):

Also, the gorgeous piece of art we used for our t-shirts:

Our major work right now is in transitioning the game to Unity 4.3 to use the native 2D tools and getting ready for the Kickstarter and AnimeExpo!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:35:42 AM by Studioguts » Logged

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »

O.O So beautiful... Can't wait to get my hands and eyeballs and brains and whatnot on this when it comes out! I especially love that scene with the floating eyeball thing in the background in the trailer. Really breathtaking...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic