Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 09:03:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPunch Club (ex VHS Story) [streetfighter manager].
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Punch Club (ex VHS Story) [streetfighter manager].  (Read 22301 times)
Dartius
Level 0

Developer of Punch Club (LazyBearGames)

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »

Punch Club (ex. VHS Story) is going to be an epic story for PC, MAC, Linux. Facepalm

Punch Club (ex. VHS Story) is a strategy / tycoon / streetfighter-manager game with 80-90s atmosphere, nostalgia and lots of games/movies references.

You have to manage your time and money to improve your fighter skills on one side and your training equipment on the other. You will start as an unknown fighter in the underground club and must work your way to the top and solve the mystery from your past.

Improve your characteristics, learn new fight moves and unlock new abilities in the skill tree. Make your setup for every fight to suit the particular situation and opponent.

Choose your way wisely. Every decision matters. You can be a super-hero, a criminal or waste your life watching TV, or even run your own gym.

The game is a mix of a non-linear storyline, a tycoon-like gameplay, RPG elements and a tactical fight.

Take a look to our image gallery.

• Nostalgia of the 80s and 90s.

• Lots of references to movies and games 80 – 90s. (i.e. if you get a job as pizza guy – it’s a chance to meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Alligators).

• A lot of irony.

• Leveling up and character progression.

• Perks: Some are partly gained at birth and others after quests have been completed and come to a decision. (Perks during the game are very important).

• Nonlinear story line. You have an opportunity to prepare for every fight, to study and analyze the opponent’s strengths and weaknesses.

• Don’t manage to beat an opponent, try to buy information about his weaknesses in advance, or for example poison his beloved hamster.

We are "Lazy Bear Games"- a small indie game studio based Saint-Petersburg, Russia.  Studio was founded 6 years ago by two friends as "Game Jam Studio" and changed its name to "Lazy Bear Games" in April  2015.

We started game development as a hobby and now it is our full-time job. We are about 30 years old, so we spent our childhood in the era of NES/Sega consoles, TMNT cartoon series and movies with S.Stallone, A.Schwarzenegger, J.K.Vandam spread on VHS cassettes.

We love that era and want to make a game full of nostalgia and different references to the culture of that time. We are big fans of strategic games of all kinds. So, we decided to mix these 2 things and the idea of Punch Club (ex. VHS Story) came out.

We have been working on Punch Club (ex. VHS Story) for 1 year now. We’ve been greenlit on Steam, and we’ve made it just in 5 days! We ended up with 70% yes votes!

Our site/blog: www.vhs-story.com
Twitter: @LazyBearGames
Facebook: facebook.com/VHSStory
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:05:11 AM by Dartius » Logged
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »

Heh Looks really cool so far, Really nice style and a good principle for building up your character over time, Really good for a first game, the trailers suggests a lot of promise, I'll try to give the alpha a go tomorrow if I have time.

One thing you guys may want to reconsider is your studio name... Game Jam is a common term in the west for gaming competitions, so If you're really successful I doubt you'd be able trademark or protect that name in the future, which would also could lead to confuse people over you're identity, also your studio won't get anywhere near the top of Google searches because so many other things are called or named Games Jam

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
soulburner
Level 0

Developer/co-founder at Lazy Bear Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

One thing you guys may want to reconsider is your studio name... Game Jam is a common term in the west for gaming competitions, so If you're really successful I doubt you'd be able trademark or protect that name in the future, which would also could lead to confuse people over you're identity, also your studio won't get anywhere near the top of Google searches because so many other things are called or named Games Jam
Thanks. We are already thinking about it.

LazyBearGames.com
Creator of Punch Club, Graveyard Keeper.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »

The game has potential... Is there a way to buy more food in the Alpha version? I felt like it was kind of a downer that I was playing pretty well but couldn't find any way to buy more food... I understand it's an alpha but it seems like a weird thing to leave out when there's already so much there.

soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »

The game has potential... Is there a way to buy more food in the Alpha version? I felt like it was kind of a downer that I was playing pretty well but couldn't find any way to buy more food... I understand it's an alpha but it seems like a weird thing to leave out when there's already so much there.

No, there's no way to buy more food. Because buying food will make infinite at the current moment. So, we decided to make this prototype solid and finite by limiting game session with food.

LazyBearGames.com
soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:27 AM »

Here goes a hi-score table from our alpha version:

It was available for a couple of days on Russian and just released in English.

LazyBearGames.com
Dartius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

Meanwhile we are working on more cool animation for our hero.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:28:31 AM by Dartius » Logged
Silvermaan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »

Pretty darn good for a month in. It wasn't what I was expecting (thought it was more of an action game than a management/sim) but I enjoyed its basic structure and think that there's definitely a lot of potential here.
soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »

Pretty darn good for a month in. It wasn't what I was expecting (thought it was more of an action game than a management/sim) but I enjoyed its basic structure and think that there's definitely a lot of potential here.

Yeah, we've got a problem now that people see our screenshots and think that our game is a beat-em-up or some kind of an arcade... But it is a strategy/tycoon.

LazyBearGames.com
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »

I keep coming back to this game... I really want to play the finished version!  Beg

soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »

I keep coming back to this game... I really want to play the finished version!  Beg

Thank you. We will try our best to make it ASAP, but there's still much much work to do!

For example, quest system, cut scenes, dialogs, storyline....

LazyBearGames.com
soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »

While we're working hard on game mechanics and structure, here is a photo from our office:

That's how games are made in Russia  Cheesy

LazyBearGames.com
Dartius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 02:07:54 AM »

This is how our artist makes our cool pixelart. From sketch to final look.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:28:47 AM by Dartius » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:15 AM »

While we're working hard on game mechanics and structure, here is a photo from our office:

-snip-

That's how games are made in Russia  Cheesy

There is a bear on the trash can?......

Oh looks interesting btw.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:10:18 AM »

I hope the fighting is awesome.
soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »

There is a bear on the trash can?......

No, bear near a trash can would be useless.  Roll Eyes

That is a copy machine!  Cheesy

LazyBearGames.com
soulburner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »

I hope the fighting is awesome.

There's not much fighting. It is a tycoon/strategy game.

LazyBearGames.com
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »

o too bad
Dartius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

VHS Story Teenage Mutant Ninja Alligator wish joyful celebration to your dear ones on this St. Patrick’s Day!  Beer!
Here is our version of TMNT   Smiley

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:29:10 AM by Dartius » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »

that's sick
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic